nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

For landscapers, PC-E or DOF/COC, D800?

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Sun 21-Apr-13 02:28 AM | edited Sun 21-Apr-13 02:45 AM by Robman3

OK, (Mods, is this is in the wrong forum, please excuse, my questions are specific to this genre, and may be overlooked if in Lenses)

Cruising the gear lists of some of y'all (I learned that word working in Nashville) there are occasional listings of using PC-E lenses.

The work I've seen on commercial sites where this type of lens is used is pretty amazing, with the caveat that timing, location, subject matter etc. all dovetail into exposures give or take.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Article/h9z7q457/canyon-country-shooting.html

It started for me when my brother and I saw Ansel Adams daughter's exhibit of his personal collection , which was to be replicated only to museums, en toto, or schools, prior to his death. (Monterey, exhibit August 2010).

Looking at the shots (70 plus) my brother, who trained at Art Center, asked me which one I would take if they were giving away a print.

I was enamored with all but did remark that White Sands, everything was in focus, crisp and he said that was because of the large glass negative and the adjustable plane of the lens, plus, he wasn't afraid of shadows.

My brother had the good fortune to attend a workshop of some length with Mr. Adams back in the day so I took it in stride.

Given the acuity, which can be addressed with a PC-E lens (24mm) others have implied as advice to me that:

• Trees and buildings can be straightened or adjusted in post

• That proper measurements in DOF will produce similar range of view (in focus) results

• Carrying COC/DOF chart in the kit solves the issues and is part of the rigor of professional imagery

• Camera placement, will cover most of the perspective issues so a PC-E design is not needed

All well and good however, the pinnacle for me is exemplified in some of the shots in the link, and of course the many legendary takes by Adams and others using wooden large format film (glass negative) or MF film cameras with adjustable lens planes.

I ask the questions rhetorically, and with curiosity.

Isn't a MF usurper like the D800, availed of the distinct advantages which a PC-E lens offers?

Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks,

Rob Manning

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: For landscapers, PC-E or DOF/COC, D800?

G