nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #72482
View in linear mode

Subject: "Off Roading in the Outback of Utah" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sat 02-Mar-13 03:34 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"

Traverse City, US

Took an afternoon Off Road trip into the mountains west of Orem last weekend on a beautiful sunny day. This is definitely a place where an experienced 4 wheeler is needed. Roads were muddy and 7 or 8 miles into this part of the country is no place to get stuck. Remarkable countryside.

All shot with the Nikon D800E and Nikon 24-120 f4 hand held matrix metering

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah
Watto Silver Member
02nd Mar 2013
psf914
04th Mar 2013
Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
03rd Mar 2013
psf914
04th Mar 2013
kenray Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
psf914
04th Mar 2013
dagoldst Gold Member
11th Mar 2013
psf914
15th Mar 2013
mjhach Silver Member
21st Mar 2013
psf914
22nd Mar 2013
mjhach Silver Member
24th Mar 2013
landism
12th Mar 2013
psf914
15th Mar 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
12th Mar 2013
psf914
15th Mar 2013
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
17th Mar 2013
psf914
17th Mar 2013
poc Silver Member
21st Mar 2013
psf914
22nd Mar 2013
Hans Ztz Silver Member Awarded for his outstandig Landscape Images.
24th Mar 2013
Beachthongs
24th Mar 2013
psf914
26th Mar 2013
swampwizard
25th Mar 2013
psf914
26th Mar 2013
psf914
26th Mar 2013
Priest Silver Member
28th Mar 2013

Watto Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2010Sat 02-Mar-13 11:59 AM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

Dongara, AU

Hi Peter , Looks like pretty spectacular country side to go 4w driving in. I like the 1st 2 photos and I also hold a black piece of paper hiding the foregound and I think they look real good as well.

Cheers Glen

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 04-Mar-13 12:53 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Glen

This is one of the most spectacular places I've lived in the U.S. I'm a little
curious about the black paper blocking the foreground however. Appreciate the input.

Peter

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 03-Mar-13 07:15 PM
52474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Great Series and very nice area.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 04-Mar-13 12:56 AM
#4. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 2

Traverse City, US

Thanks Gerold

Ill miss all the beautiful scenery here when I leave. It's been an incredible 6 months

Peter

kenray Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2008Mon 04-Mar-13 05:36 AM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 04-Mar-13 05:37 AM by kenray

Green Valley, US

I remember the time I bought a Jeep and stopped at the service station I traded with and the guy that owned it looked it over and commented that " I can tell you something you can do with that ,that you couldn't do with your 2 wheel drive pickup". I foolishly asked him what? Expecting some great fun thing. He replied laconicly ' get stuck further off the road', and you know he was absolutely right.Wonderful pictures as is usual.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 04-Mar-13 01:27 PM
#6. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 5

Traverse City, US

:) That's a good one Ken...

We went thru some pretty dicey real estate on this trip and I had some concerns at times but my friend Anna who was driving and has done stuff much more extreme than this did a great job. As for the scenery....well... what can I say. Going here provides you some views that lots of others will never see and it was worth the few anxious moments I had during the drive.

cheers
Peter

dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Mon 11-Mar-13 05:10 PM
2369 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

I like all 3 scenes, but the time of day of the lighting holds them back for me - they would be really something in a golden hour setting I would think.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 09:20 PM
#10. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 7

Traverse City, US

Thanks for the input David

These were meant more for sharing with those who've never been to this part of the country. Just grabbed them as my friend and her daughter and I were touring around the back roads here. And yes... golden hour lighting would add a nice touch here.

Peter

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 21-Mar-13 02:50 PM
496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 10

Simcoe, CA

Just wondering, are there designated trails that you were required to follow so as to not "damage" the pristine terrain!!!???? There are some real idiots out there that would take 4 wheeling to the extreme and run track all over the place. (I would not expect you to be one of those "types").

Visiting Arizona a few years ago, alot of areas are fenced off from just those kind of people. YOur trip is something I would love to be able to do, but really can't afford to do the trips Nikonians advertises or those conducted by the likes of Alain Briot, whose books I have read re: Creating/Marketing landscape photos.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 22-Mar-13 06:15 AM
#17. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 16

Traverse City, US

Hi Michael

In some places there are signs requiring you to remain on designated trails. In other places on BLM land it seems its pretty much anything goes. Although there's so much vegetation it would be impossible to travel anywhere but on the roads. I did a lot of back road exploring and never saw the other vehicles stray from the two tracks. However, there are lots of places in the state where you can take an ATV and just drive around anywhere you want. Didn't see a lot of that but it is very popular in Utah. In California , like Arizona, everything including back roads in the Sierra Nevada is fenced off as private property and very restricted.

Peter

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Sun 24-Mar-13 02:54 PM
496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 17

Simcoe, CA

I hear you. We were in Arizona a few years back and it seems the whole main highways were fenced so that you couldn't even just walk around off the main drag. Bummer.

landism Registered since 22nd Oct 2011Tue 12-Mar-13 10:32 AM
476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

great set!!

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 09:21 PM
#11. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 8

Traverse City, US

Thanks Mark

This was one of the last series I shot before leaving Utah. A wonderful place to explore.

Peter

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Tue 12-Mar-13 03:12 PM
4469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Very nice series.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 09:22 PM
#12. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 9

Traverse City, US

Thanks Larry

I was very impressed with what I saw in this part of the country while I was here. Lots of fond memories.

cheers
Peter

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 17-Mar-13 12:58 PM
8917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

Peter

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a wonderful place - and a reminder to get off the main roads.

You've had a wonderful trip and have posted some very nice images. What's more, I can see your photography and eye have really improved. The intense photography and exploration will pay off well beyond the end of this trip. Thanks for all of the images you've shared.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 17-Mar-13 08:22 PM
#14. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 13

Traverse City, US

Thanks Eric,

Not sure where I'll end up next but this was a real gift...getting to spend 7 months in one of the most scenic parts of the country. Got lots of files to edit once I get back East where I'll be on hold until my next project. I'll post more from the road trip across country in a week or so. Appreciate the nice comments.

cheers
Peter

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Thu 21-Mar-13 01:01 AM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Wonderful images again. I've really enjoyed your images and stories the past few weeks but you have been killing me with your adventures. I'd like to get there some time.

What type of vehicle were you driving?

Thanks for sharing.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 22-Mar-13 06:27 AM
#18. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 15

Traverse City, US

Thanks Peter

Here's a photo of the vehicle we were using : My friend Anna's Toyota. And although the terrain here was pretty rough in places this was pretty mild compared to some of the places in the Rockies she's been with this. It handled everything we crossed including steep, very rocky terrain in some spots very well. Helps to have an experienced off roader like her behind the wheel.

Peter

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Hans Ztz Silver Member Awarded for his outstandig Landscape Images. Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2009Sun 24-Mar-13 10:07 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

Regensburg, DE

Very beautiful series and wonderful landscape ....

Ciao - Hans (Bavaria/Germany)

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Sun 24-Mar-13 11:24 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 19

AU

Thanks for posting the series.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 26-Mar-13 05:04 PM
#24. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 20

Traverse City, US

My pleasure Franco

This was my first trip for an extended period in Utah and what a great experience it was. Saw a lot of the state even though I missed seeing some of the National Parks...but I did get into the back country quite a bit and loved every minute.

Peter

swampwizard Registered since 04th Nov 2012Mon 25-Mar-13 12:33 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"

Atlanta, US

Great photos! Even with the 4WD, I bet the air smelled great. Thanks

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 26-Mar-13 05:07 PM
#25. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 22

Traverse City, US

Thanks Charles,

One of the things I remember when I was in the Rockies during a rain storm one afternoon was the smell of the leaves and pine trees at 9000 feet. Great aromatherapy ... you could even smell the bark on the trees when it rained. And out in the open range, the sage and other plants...wish I could bottle that stuff.

Peter

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 26-Mar-13 05:02 PM
#23. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"

Traverse City, US

Thanks Hans

It was great being here from color season thru winter.... couldn't have picked a better time to experience this part of the country.

Peter

Priest Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2011Thu 28-Mar-13 01:37 AM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Off Roading in the Outback of Utah"
In response to Reply # 0

Bedford, US

Great views of the outback. I have had a 4 wheeler for 30 years and I for my two cents am not going to wait for any golden hour that deep in that cold climate-too scary-one close call is all I needed. Peace Ron

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #72482 Previous topic | Next topic