nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #72367
View in linear mode

Subject: "10 Stop ND Waterscapes" Previous topic | Next topic
matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Sun 24-Feb-13 07:34 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"10 Stop ND Waterscapes"

cambridge, US

Had a chance to put my 10 stop neutral density filter to some good use on a recent trip to Maui & Kauai. Here are a couple of my favorites. Both made using Singh Ray Var-n-duo in combination with a 10 stop B&W ND filter.

D800, 24-70, 179s @ f/10

D800, 24-70, 149s @f/11

Matt Murphy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Sets<http://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 10 Stop ND Waterscapes
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
26th Feb 2013
matcam Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
26th Feb 2013
AMusingFool Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
Ineluki Gold Member
27th Feb 2013
olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography.
04th Mar 2013
DAJolley Silver Member
05th Mar 2013
matcam Silver Member
05th Mar 2013
af4nc Gold Member
08th Mar 2013

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 26-Feb-13 09:09 AM
35262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 10 Stop ND Waterscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I think the thick horizon line makes them look somewhat unreal.
Also, there are not enough shadows to give the images some added depth.
Maybe trying again at the golden hours could turn them much better.
Never be afraid to make mistakes, such fear kills creativity.
At least that is what I keep telling myself ...

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Tue 26-Feb-13 06:18 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 10 Stop ND Waterscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Thanks JRP. Your point is well taken about the golden hour and added depth but I'm not sure what to do about the horizon line as I believe it is an artifact of the long exposure process.

Matt Murphy

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 26-Feb-13 11:04 PM
35262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 10 Stop ND Waterscapes"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Yes, that thick line is there to stay, but added depth may change its look.
Keep on trying.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

AMusingFool Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2012Fri 08-Mar-13 09:51 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 10 Stop ND Waterscapes"
In response to Reply # 2

Arlington, US

Perhaps if the camera is a bit lower, the rocks might break it up a bit more? (at least on the first one)

"Geeks of All Nations, Compile!"

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Wed 27-Feb-13 11:24 AM
3345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 10 Stop ND Waterscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Nürnberg, DE

Hi Matt,

Very fine seascape pictures but in this case I think the 10 stop neutral density filter is too much. The sea doesn`t look like water but like cotton wool.

Regards
Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Mon 04-Mar-13 08:07 PM
5008 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 10 Stop ND Waterscapes"
In response to Reply # 4

Boudry, CH

>Hi Matt,
>
>Very fine seascape pictures but in this case I think the 10
>stop neutral density filter is too much. The sea doesn`t look
>like water but like cotton wool.
>
>Regards
>Egbert

I quite agree - but I do like that aspect, at least in #1 (less so in #2). So for me, with the same reserves as JRP, nice work... to be considered a practice shot before renewed golden hour attempts.

But when you do that, maybe the addition of the var'n'duo and the 10-stop will be a bit too much

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Tue 05-Mar-13 08:00 PM
1246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 10 Stop ND Waterscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I really like the first one. It reminds me of work by Franco Fontana.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Tue 05-Mar-13 08:18 PM
#7. "RE: 10 Stop ND Waterscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

cambridge, US

Thanks all. I too think the first is the stronger effort and have to say that the "cotton wool" aspect is kinda what I was going for, at least with number 1. I also think that when I do future shots at the golden hour I won't likely need both the Vari-n-duo and the 10 stop as the light levels will be significantly lower. On this trip I also did some longish exposures of a couple of seconds (as opposed to a minute or more)and really liked the effect that gave me. Can't wait to get back to some open water to improve my shots in this area.

Matt Murphy

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Fri 08-Mar-13 06:22 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: 10 Stop ND Waterscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Nice shots, my wife and I have been to that area many times.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #72367 Previous topic | Next topic