nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #72150
View in linear mode

Subject: "Skies and patience" Previous topic | Next topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Sat 16-Feb-13 05:50 AM
35898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Skies and patience"
Sun 17-Feb-13 09:52 AM by jrp

On the first shooting day of our trip, we arrived late at the Mezquite Dunes.
The light was going away fast, casting no shadows to allow for the capture of textures and making everything an ugly gray.
So I packed and turned back towards the parking area.

Raising my head I saw a faint sky, not very promising for a good sunset shot; I thought ..

Patience has never been one of my natural virtues, but somehow decided to wait, and the skies rewarded me by beginning to improve:

The skies, joking about my hopes for a gorgeous sunset began to darken fast:

But then, just when I was about to keep on walking back, the sky lit up and went "nuclear" before dying immediately after, leaving only darkness behind:

Patience pays. Most of the time.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Skies and patience mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
16th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Skies and patience jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
16th Feb 2013
     Reply message RE: Skies and patience mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
18th Feb 2013
          Reply message RE: Skies and patience jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
24th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Skies and patience newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
16th Feb 2013
16th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Skies and patience esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
16th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Skies and patience pixures Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
16th Feb 2013
     Reply message RE: Skies and patience pixures Silver Member
18th Feb 2013
16th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Skies and patience DaddySS Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Feb 2013
25th Feb 2013

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography   Lakeville, US  Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006 Sat 16-Feb-13 01:49 PM
4575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 0

Very impressive sky. I wish I could have been with you guys.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Sat 16-Feb-13 06:06 PM
35898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 1

Larry,
Thank you.
Yes, we should shoot together more.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography   Lakeville, US  Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006 Mon 18-Feb-13 11:24 PM
4575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 5

My schedule is my own. I am usually available.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Sun 24-Feb-13 09:49 PM
#12. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 10

Note made, Larry.
Thank you.

Have a great time

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Neuville, near Quebec City, CA  Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006 Sat 16-Feb-13 03:07 PM
2010 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice story that "shows" how patience pays, especially after sunset! Your story with examples has a great teaching value as it provides real examples of what may happen.

The exact same thing happened to me once I was at Mono Lake. The nicest sky happened when everybody else (almost) were back at the parking lot packing their photo gears. This was the only nice sky that night and there were very few of us going back to the hotel with the nice shots. Patience is key with sunsets.

One question JRP: If you would have had the time, do you think you could have reached a similar result using ND grad filters of increasing density since such filters have a red colorcast (cf. SinghRay filters) that increases with their density?

Great post !

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Sat 16-Feb-13 06:09 PM
#6. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 24-Feb-13 09:46 PM by jrp

Yvan,
Thank you for your kind comment.
My few Singh Ray filters don't seem to have a color cast at all.
The other thing is that I seldom have the time (or patience) to switch filters in sessions like the one shown.
As one is waiting with great expectations it feels like an eternity, even when everything happens very fast.
To my surprise, according to the EXIF data, once I decided to stay the rest of whole sequence with a few images in between took less than three minutes.

I only had an A2 filter on the 85mm f/1.4D, no ND Grads at all.

Have a great time

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.   McAllen, US  Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002 Sat 16-Feb-13 05:32 PM
12084 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful series Ramon. That was one great sunset. Many times I have waited and waited, just like you retell in your story, mostly with "She who must be obeyed" waiting in the car giving me the "look". Sometimes I'll be rewarded with a gorgeous end to the day, sometimes I go back to the car empty handed disappointed but not defeated. The landscape photography gods are ruthless sometimes, but they know how to apply their wisdom on us mere mortals armed only with deep passion and our patience, as you so eloquently point out.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

pixures Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009 Sat 16-Feb-13 05:40 PM
346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 3

Great skies and I agree keeping with the shoot after official sunset may offer many rewards. The softer light and smaller dynamic range can result in some wonderful images.

If I may offer a consideration, if you shot in raw, would it be possible to bring our some detail in the shadows?

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Sat 16-Feb-13 06:43 PM
#8. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 16-Feb-13 08:32 PM by jrp

Bill,
The foreground had no detail to the naked eye. Uninteresting at all.
I measured the light with the spot meter and it would have needed about 6 f-stops to almost compensate for the difference of exposure between the mountain and the sky.
Plus I felt anything could happen instantly, with no time to take out and mount the holder and filters for the lens I was using.

I tried to bring out a bit of detail in post-processing.
That only resulted in an ugly bluish grainy blob for the mountain.
Tone-mapping in Photomatix Pro did not yield anything decent, except for the black and white conversion, as shown below with a bit of contrast added:

Have a great time

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

pixures Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009 Mon 18-Feb-13 01:21 AM
346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 18-Feb-13 01:22 AM by pixures

I see. At first it reminded me of the sunsets I have seen in Great Smoky National Park.
http://www.images-captured.com/p179503819/h494fb2f8#h494fb2f8. I did have a stop neutral grad on at the time which helped the shadows in post. I fully understand about getting the shot rather than rummaging thru the pack for filters.

You captured a beautiful sunset.

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Sat 16-Feb-13 06:18 PM
#7. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 16-Feb-13 07:13 PM by jrp

Ernesto,
Thank you.
Luck has much to do with it. I guess. My grandmother would have added: "... and how you have behaved lately, to be graced or not"
So this sunset was an undeserved surprise.

Have a great time

DaddySS Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Woodcliff Lake NJ, & Jacksonvi, US  Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006 Wed 20-Feb-13 08:37 AM
863 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 0

Great sequence and an excellent reminder for us all about patience. Thanks!

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Mon 25-Feb-13 07:08 AM
#13. "RE: Skies and patience"
In response to Reply # 11

Thank you, Richard.
Most kind of you.

Have a great time

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #72150 Previous topic | Next topic