Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #71975
View in linear mode

Subject: "No light on the Cornish coast" Previous topic | Next topic
Mike Walters Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2012Sun 10-Feb-13 10:16 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"No light on the Cornish coast"

GB

You know how when you have a break and you really look forward to the photographic opportunities? Well I went to Cornwall for two days, weather overcast or raining, light flat and horrible so this is probably the best I could get.....

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: No light on the Cornish coast
olivierrychner Gold Member
11th Feb 2013
Mike Walters Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
11th Feb 2013
lieibr Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
16th Feb 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator
16th Feb 2013
18th Feb 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
28th Feb 2013
04th Mar 2013
06th Mar 2013
06th Mar 2013

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Mon 11-Feb-13 07:34 AM
4995 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Hi!

Maybe the weather was horrible,grey, dull and overcast... but you sure did a good job of capturing this image! Actually, sometimes it's too easy making good images when there is light, sun and colours, isn't it?

Cheerio,

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Mike Walters Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2012Mon 11-Feb-13 08:30 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks Olivier, it is slightly more challenging

The other problem we have here is that there has been so much rain just getting to places and wading through several inches of mud and cow dung makes it all the more challenging!!!

Mike Walters Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2012Mon 11-Feb-13 09:24 PM
#3. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I have worked a little on the colour version and am a little happier now, so what do you prefer?

lieibr Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2013Fri 15-Feb-13 06:30 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 3

Port Orchard, US

I actually like the B&W best. It seems to have more depth and expression.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSat 16-Feb-13 01:45 AM
8501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Mike:

Overcast days provide us with that wonderful, soft, diffuse illumination that gives us an opportunity to explore images like this one. The lack of harsh, contrasty shadows offers subtle compositional possibilities not possible under direct sunlight.

I agree with the others, and prefer the B/W version, as it is more intimate and thought provoking.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Sat 16-Feb-13 02:52 PM
4244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

It may have been a bad weather day but your photo turned out. Nice capture.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

Mike Walters Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2012Mon 18-Feb-13 08:43 PM
#7. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Thanks for the kind words.

I always wonder about B&W for landscape photography but also think that in this case it does work better.

Mike

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Thu 28-Feb-13 08:53 PM
401 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

Nice picture, I prefer the color version with the soft yet powerful colors.

my website

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Mon 04-Mar-13 08:01 PM
4995 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Hi!

I quite like the BW, as I wrote above - but I think the colour one has a huge potential. If it were mine, I'd desaturate it some more, add some vignette and contrast and have a new look at it after that...

Just for illustration purposes - what we like to call a "kleenex" on another site I frequent:

Basically: curves overall, to improve contrast. Used a circular gradient mask from the middle to select corners and copy to new layer, then curves again just on that precise layer to darken corners. Finally, desaturation globally. But I wanted to used CS6, too

Olivier Rychner

Mike Walters Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2012Wed 06-Mar-13 08:27 AM
#10. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

Olivier,

I like what you have done here, seems to be overall darker, which I like, plus it seems to have bought the sky out more.

I am rubbish at using curves, so what shape curve did you use on this?

Regards

Mike

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Wed 06-Mar-13 09:56 AM
#11. "RE: No light on the Cornish coast"
In response to Reply # 10

CH

Hi again!

The "overall" curve is basically a s-shaped one. That will pull lights up and pull darker tones down, while it won't burn or bury anything since I did not touch the extremities.

Then on the layer with the corners, I simply made the curve look like a "belly down", again witout touching the blacks or white. That darkens the corner. I also played a bit with the opacity of the curve layer.

Hope this helps!

Olivier Rychner

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #71975 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.