Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #71708
View in linear mode

Subject: "The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley" Previous topic | Next topic
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 30-Jan-13 09:40 PM
11627 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"

McAllen, US

I know this place in Death Valley is often photographed (maybe to death, excuse the pun), but let me tell you it is a really fun place to shoot. While driving the 28 mile dirt road to the playa the anticipation was unbearable, so much so that when we got there I just grabbed my camera bag without going through it first, grabbed my tripod, and took off walking across the dry lake bed to the far end where the sailing stones are (1-1/2 miles according to Wikipedia). When I took my bag off my back I noticed it was a little light - like one camera body light. When I unzipped it my heart sank. No camera, lots of lenses. DOOOOOHHHHH!!!! The light was starting to fade, and the SUV looked like a tiny dot back at the parking area. I can't run because of a bad knee, so I walked as fast as I could. So I yelled to my companion for the car keys and huffed it the 3 miles to the SUV to get my D800 and back to where I left my tripod. While I didn't get as much time as I could have with the sailing rocks I am glad I finally got out there to the Racetrack.

Nikon D800 (yanked from goldbricking in the back seat of the SUV)
Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8
Gitzo GT3541LS
RRS BH-40

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley
Melman59 Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
esantos Moderator
31st Jan 2013
cchoc Moderator
30th Jan 2013
esantos Moderator
31st Jan 2013
walkerr Administrator
31st Jan 2013
esantos Moderator
31st Jan 2013
kuzzy Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
esantos Moderator
31st Jan 2013
Blufox Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
Blufox Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
esantos Moderator
31st Jan 2013
russg Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
esantos Moderator
31st Jan 2013
Robman3
31st Jan 2013
esantos Moderator
31st Jan 2013
Robman3
31st Jan 2013
spiritualized67 Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
esantos Moderator
31st Jan 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator
01st Feb 2013
esantos Moderator
01st Feb 2013
newbird Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
esantos Moderator
02nd Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
01st Feb 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
esantos Moderator
02nd Feb 2013
esantos Moderator
02nd Feb 2013
BSchirm Gold Member
02nd Feb 2013
esantos Moderator
03rd Feb 2013
newbird Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Robman3
04th Feb 2013
psf914
03rd Feb 2013
Garen T Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
esantos Moderator
08th Feb 2013
jrp Administrator
09th Feb 2013
esantos Moderator
11th Feb 2013

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Wed 30-Jan-13 10:55 PM
250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Monroe, US

Very nice Ernesto! I think number two is my favorite because the rock is more prominent and I love the silhouette of the mountains in the background. For me it seems that in number one the rock and the mountains compete for my attention. In number two the rock is clearly the star of the show and the mountains in silhouette compliment but do not compete for my attention. How far away from the rock were you and where did you focus? I am guessing a little past the rock. These would make great prints to hang on the wall and they would be sure to invite much conversation with the unusual subject matter. Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed looking at these.
Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 01:54 PM
11627 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 1

McAllen, US

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much! It looks like #2 seems to be the favorite of everybody here. If I recall on this shot I splayed out my tripod legs a little to get down really low. The lens front was probably less than two feet from the front of the stone. I don't recall at what distance I focused, I use a variation of hyperfocus. I hold down the DOF button on the D800 while focusing the image near and far. I'll adjust for both until I have an acceptably sharp image at all distances. This technique is not working for me that well anymore when shooting in dim light since my eyes are getting well past 50 now. In this case it was still bright enough to get a good focus point.

Ernesto Santos

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberWed 30-Jan-13 11:03 PM
4538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

Great shots Ernesto. I like the POV in the second one too. The next time I go out I'm going to dry camp there and get some night sky shots too.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 01:57 PM
#11. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 2

McAllen, US

Thanks Charlie. Definitely plan on staying overnight. We did some astrophography/light painting on the way back to the lodge using the Joshua trees along the road. It was a lot of fun. I think you could make some really great images of the stones and Milky Way or star trails in the sky. I would love to see how the sunrise light would be in this area.

Ernesto Santos

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 12:56 AM
14559 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Great shots, Ernesto! That was indeed a bad moment for a while when you realized your camera was in the car. You were certainly in good company out there.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 01:59 PM
#12. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 3

McAllen, US

Thanks Rick! While I was a little embarrassed when it happened I thought I should tell my story here so others might remember to keep their minds on task and not forget their cameras before tearing off onto the trail.

Ernesto Santos

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Thu 31-Jan-13 02:24 AM
1252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Great story Ernesto. Nice shots too. Thanks for sharing.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 02:00 PM
#13. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 4

McAllen, US

Thank you Marc, I appreciate your comments.

Ernesto Santos

Blufox Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2007Thu 31-Jan-13 02:33 AM
668 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Nampa, US

>I know this place in Death Valley is often photographed
>(maybe to death, excuse the pun), but let me tell you it is a
>really fun place to shoot.

Excellent results, Ernesto! Your 'light bag' story is a good one!
Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated. These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer..."

Blufox Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2007Thu 31-Jan-13 02:34 AM
668 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 5

Nampa, US

Oh, I forgot to add that the second one is my fave; fantastic!
Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated. These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer..."

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 02:02 PM
#14. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 5

McAllen, US

Hi Larry,

I hope some day you'll remember my absentmindedness and not make the same mistake. Thanks for the kind comments.

Ernesto Santos

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Thu 31-Jan-13 04:47 AM
1282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Great photos and a funny back story, Ernesto.

Russ

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 02:02 PM
#15. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 7

McAllen, US

Thanks Russ!

Ernesto Santos

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Thu 31-Jan-13 06:35 AM
1772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Amazing!

That you had the light in time especially, great work.

Rob

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 02:03 PM
#16. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 31-Jan-13 02:04 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Thanks Rob, I think there was about 15 minutes left of good light - enough to get the essential shots, I think. Someday I'll be back and I won't make the same mistake twice.

Ernesto Santos

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Thu 31-Jan-13 04:58 PM
1772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 16

West of Santa Monica, US

Ernesto,

Page 187 of Galen Rowell's book: "Since 1971 I have spent more than thirty nights sleeping in the same area, hoping for a repeat performance of light that has never arrived". On Buttermilk Road, pages 188-189.

I think if you never get back to that spot, you should be very proud.

Rob

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Thu 31-Jan-13 12:28 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

#2 is brilliant Ernesto. Love it!

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 31-Jan-13 02:05 PM
#17. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 9

McAllen, US

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot! I always appreciate your feedback.

Ernesto Santos

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Fri 01-Feb-13 12:42 AM
3808 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

At least you still had good light after your exercise

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 01-Feb-13 02:55 AM
#20. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 19

McAllen, US

Hi Larry,

Yes, the light was good, and so was the exercise.

Ernesto Santos

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Fri 01-Feb-13 12:37 PM
2002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

Hi Ernesto,

The composition on the second photo is excellent and the contrast with the warm light of the sky is superb. The main subject of this photo clearly is the rock in the foreground. The rock path leads us towards the brightest part of the photo, i.e. sunset, which is fantastic from a composition point of view. Finally, your use of a very close rock with such a perspective truly created depth in the photo.

Very well done! One of the nicest photos of this classical area.

Q1: did you use a grad ND filter?
Q2: did you have a wider angle lens ? (with you, not in the SUV )

As I'll go there in mid-March with the Nikonians workshop, any specific advice about gears?

Once again, congrats for these photos.

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 02-Feb-13 01:23 AM
#24. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 21

McAllen, US

Hi Yvan,

Actually, I shot multiple images on this one as I initially was going to make an HDR. I really didn't like how the HDR turned out so I took the one with the best colors in the sky and then just lightened up the foreground a little in Adobe ACR. I then made a few final adjustments in Photoshop. The dynamic range of the D800 is truly impressive.

I shot these with a Nikkor 24-70 mm and the second one was shot at 40 mm.

Any standard camera kit for landscape photography is what I recommend you take. To me that means focal lengths from wide angle to up to 200 mm, with either a 1.4 or 1.7 teleconverter (optional). Take a polarizer and some ND Grads and you should be set. On this trip I took my 16-35 mm, 24-70 mm, 70-200, and my 28 mm and 35 mm PC-Nikkor shift lenses. Although I did see a coyote trot by my room one morning as I was waiting for the rest of the group to pick me up I didn't see much wildlife. I understand there are mule deer and desert bighorn sheep but we didn't see any.

Hope this helps and thanks for the very kind comments. I hope you have a great time Death Valley is incredible.

Ernesto Santos

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 01-Feb-13 02:53 PM
4547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Ernesto,

Very nice images. I like both for different reasons. Well done.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Fri 01-Feb-13 03:20 PM
3250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 22

Camberley, GB

Great images Ernesto. I'd never heard of this phenomena and had to have a little Google to find out more... fascinating.
Your story made me smile... there but for the grace of god, go I....
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 02-Feb-13 01:26 AM
#26. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 23

McAllen, US

Hi Derek,

Glad you enjoyed the story, and thanks for the nice comments. Hopefully, the next time you get out on the trail in a rush you'll think of me and check your bag.

Ernesto Santos

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 02-Feb-13 01:25 AM
#25. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 22

McAllen, US

Thanks JD, finally a vote for #1.

Ernesto Santos

BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Dec 2005Sat 02-Feb-13 10:08 PM
2592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 25

Rolling Hills, US

Hi Ernesto,

I also prefer # 1. Although I like the lower angle of # 1, the background in # 2 has more interest as you follow the leading line into the image. You can also see other random stones in the distance undoubtedly leaving their own trails. Good story......just an affirmation we're all human.

Barry

Nikonians Gallery

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 03-Feb-13 05:32 PM
#28. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 27
Sun 03-Feb-13 05:36 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. What I particularly liked about #1 was that if you look closely at the immediate foreground the cracked lake bed shows just a touch of the warm evening light that you see in the background. I was pleasantly surprised to see that when I looked at it on my big screen here at home. Also, #1 gives you a good idea of how far some of these stones move. The stone in the foreground and the one at the beginning of the track are about the same size - about the size of a large loaf of bread. The perspective gives an indication of the distance.

Ernesto Santos

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Mon 04-Feb-13 04:58 PM
2002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 28

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

> What I particularly liked
>about #1 was that if you look closely at the immediate
>foreground the cracked lake bed shows just a touch of the warm
>evening light that you see in the background. I was pleasantly
>surprised to see that when I looked at it on my big screen
>here at home.

This is one element I immediately noticed and would have made me vote for #1, but...

>Also, #1 gives you a good idea of how far some
>of these stones move. The stone in the foreground and the one
>at the beginning of the track are about the same size - about
>the size of a large loaf of bread. The perspective gives an
>indication of the distance.

... this latter point, although being exact, also creates two elements of interest in the photo. Personnally, my eyes keep moving between the front rock to the far away rocks/background. On the other hand, in photo #2, my eyes clearly go directly to one point of interest (i.e. the rock in the foreground). The final feeling in #2 is a feeling of calm, a sense of beeing there and being one with the scene. The feeling I get from the first one is more "documentary".

I truly like both as they are well made and very nice. However, the impact "on me" of photo #2 is richer and lasts longer.

I hope I'll get the chance to make as well when I go there!

BTW, thanks for the info about gears.

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Mon 04-Feb-13 07:51 PM
#31. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 25
Mon 04-Feb-13 07:57 PM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

I like #1 as well, when direct sun hits a horizon in DV, the contrasts are spectacular.

The side light "glow" on the lake bed polygons, plus as Barry notes, the distant other rocks, in my mind makes a much more interesting shot for gauging the (overused word) vastness that one is overwhelmed by at just about any point of reference in the park.

RM

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 03-Feb-13 11:57 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

Like them both Ernesto

Hard to choose which I prefer.. I like the connecting points with the two stones in the first shot and the detail in the stone in the second. And that dry lake bed looks like a giant rattlesnake skin stretched out to dry. Great patterns.

Peter

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Tue 05-Feb-13 10:45 PM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 0

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Great story Ernesto! Reminds me when I showed up to a shoot with dead batteries!
Love the second shot as well! Strong foreground, great leading line, and fantastic mountain silhouette!

Garen
www.garentphotography.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garent/

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 08-Feb-13 02:14 AM
#33. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 32

McAllen, US

Thanks guys.

Ernesto Santos

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 09-Feb-13 11:00 AM
34542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 33

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Remarkable images. The composition is splendid and the exposure is perfect.

On forgetfulness, I've done that at least once. Cameras and lenses ready in the bag for an important event, but not a single CF card!

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 11-Feb-13 04:16 PM
#35. "RE: The Racetrack Playa - Death Valley"
In response to Reply # 34

McAllen, US

Thanks for the kind comments Ramon. Yes, memory (the cerebral kind), is probably one of our more overlooked or under appreciated abilities. We take it for granted - to such an extreme that when it does fail on us we have no other reaction other than to blush and feel embarrassed, and then laugh about it.

Ernesto Santos

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #71708 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.