Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #71578
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?" Previous topic | Next topic
Blufox Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2007Sat 26-Jan-13 05:54 PM
668 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"

Nampa, US

I am thinking seriously about this lens, but am having a difficult time finding samples of landscape captured with this lens mounted to a D700. If you have any --or have used this combo in the past-- please either share a few images and/or your thoughts on the lens for landscape.

Thanks in advance for helping me to spend my money!
Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated. These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer..."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?
jrp Administrator
23rd Feb 2013
Blufox Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
Ineluki Gold Member
23rd Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
23rd Feb 2013
Blufox Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
walkerr Administrator
23rd Feb 2013
Blufox Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
Ineluki Gold Member
23rd Feb 2013
walkerr Administrator
23rd Feb 2013
Izzie Gold Member
24th Feb 2013
jacksonlisa
01st Apr 2013
snaefell
01st Apr 2013
mwhals Silver Member
05th Apr 2013

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 23-Feb-13 01:55 AM
34330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 23-Feb-13 02:01 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Searching in Nikoscope I found for you quite a few sample images with keywords "D700" AND "300", although the foical length is mostly used for wildlife, some of them are of beautiful land and sea scapes.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Blufox Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2007Sat 23-Feb-13 12:25 PM
668 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 1

Nampa, US

I actually added this lens about a month back. I have only shot a few shots of landscape with it, and instead am using it -along with the 1.4TC- to shoot birds, the moon, and anything else when I either cannot or do not want to get any closer to the subject.
Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated. These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer..."

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Sat 23-Feb-13 07:15 AM
2753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nürnberg, DE

pixel-peeper.com will help you. I found 48 pictures "d700" with "300mm/f4". Some are landscapes but this lens is more to take animals than surroundings

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 23-Feb-13 01:38 PM
8528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I've had the 300 f/4 for a number of years and very rarely use it for landscapes. In terms of use, I rate it first for wildlife - mammals and large birds (85+%), second for close up and near macro (10%), and third for landscape (1% or less). I also use it on the V1 for birding (effective 810mm f/4). For small bird photography - not birding - I find the 300 f/4 does not have enough reach.

The challenge with the 300 f/4 for landscape is composition. A long prime would be for very specific subject isolation out of a landscape. I could see using it for isolating trees on a ridgetop from Foothills Parkway in the Smokies (but I've never done that and really should ). I was recently in Death Valley and had some compositions (extractions of dunes) with a 70-200 that needed more reach, so a 300 f/4 would have worked. But in general, I much prefer a 70-200 for landscapes. The 70-300 is a good alternative to the 70-200 and is more useful for landscapes than the 300 f/4.

Now the 300 f/4 is a very good lens and a useful part of my kit. Just not for landscapes.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Blufox Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2007Sat 23-Feb-13 03:00 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 4

Nampa, US

>Now the 300 f/4 is a very good lens and a useful part of my
>kit. Just not for landscapes.

I have experienced that, as well. Luckily, NAS will continue to add things to my bag ...
Larry

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 23-Feb-13 02:21 PM
14461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I've certainly used a 300mm focal length for landscapes (including using the 300mm 4.0, which I own), but a separate 300mm lens doesn't always make it into my bag when I'm doing this kind of shooting. It's due more to wanting to keep the amount of equipment smaller than anything else. If I do have the lens with me, I definitely find uses for it in landscape shooting. Here are a couple made with that lens and a D3:

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Blufox Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2007Sat 23-Feb-13 02:57 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 5

Nampa, US

Nice images, Rick!
Larry

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Sat 23-Feb-13 04:35 PM
2753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 5

Nürnberg, DE

Hi Rick,

really great photos.

Regards
Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 23-Feb-13 04:35 PM
14461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 8

Colorado Springs, US

Thanks!

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Sun 24-Feb-13 07:39 AM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 5

Chesterfield, US

I like #1 very much Rick. Yes I do have the 300mm but I had not used it for landscape yet, just airplane shots.

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jacksonlisa Registered since 01st Apr 2013Mon 01-Apr-13 06:32 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 10

Los Angeles, US

Actually I am also required some landscaping images. So I visit the http://www.gardendesignandlandscapes.com/ and I am finding the best result.

snaefell Registered since 01st Jun 2009Mon 01-Apr-13 08:53 PM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 01-Apr-13 08:54 PM by snaefell

Berlin, DE

Hi,

>I am thinking seriously about this lens, but am having a
>difficult time finding samples of landscape captured with this
>lens mounted to a D700. If you have any --or have used this
>combo in the past-- please either share a few images and/or
>your thoughts on the lens for landscape.

I use this lens quite extensively for all kinds of photography, wildlife and landscape included. Its sharp, relatively light and has always a place in my photobag except the days when I only have the camera and one lens with me. If you are not sure about it, can you borrow the lens from a friend or a company to play around with it?
The three images below have been taken with a D3 and the 4/300 (all images can be enlarged by clicking on them). If you have any questions, let me know.

Clouds are crouching over the mountains.

Detail of a frozen waterfall.

Falling lava next to the eruption column of the Eyjafjallajökull.

best

Christian

Visit
My photos from Iceland
my Nikonians gallery.

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Fri 05-Apr-13 03:23 AM
1644 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon 300mm f/4 for Landscape?"
In response to Reply # 0

Winfield, US

I find telephoto lenses are great for landscapes. They compress distances making them very useful for mountain ranges.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #71578 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.