Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #71285
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photographing in Big Sur in February?" Previous topic | Next topic
cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 03:16 PM
561 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photographing in Big Sur in February?"

Salt Lake City, US

I hope this is the right forum for this post. I have an opportunity to visit the Big Sur area for 3-4 days in mid February, just to do some shooting, nothing else. I'm wondering if this is a good time to go, or if I should think about trying to make it happen at another time of the year. I know that February can be very rainy. Rainy scenes can be beautiful too but I'd hope to get a few of those spectacular sunsets along the coast.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience here?

Cheers!

Claudia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photographing in Big Sur in February?
kenray
11th Jan 2013
cogrady Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
cogrady Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
17th Jan 2013
adguy71 Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
buddyro48 Silver Member
23rd Jan 2013

kenray Registered since 10th Oct 2008Fri 11-Jan-13 06:17 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photographing in Big Sur in February?"
In response to Reply # 0

Green Valley, US

It's been many years since I was there but I doubt much has really changed. Pfieffer Big Sur Park & Lodge is a good starting point and Napenthe's Restuarant was once a top place to eat.The coast is more than spectacular and the long high bridge on Highway 1 has been a photo landmark for years. I would not discount Carmel (at the north end) and the 17 mile drive with a mostfamous photographic windswept cypress. In fact I'm looking at a B&W 8x10 I took over 50 years ago on the wall in front of me of the same cypress. The entire drive from Carmel to Morro Bay is one with absolutely unlimited opportunities for spectacular photography. You will not regret the trip. Just an old mans reminiscences.

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Fri 11-Jan-13 12:20 PM
561 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photographing in Big Sur in February?"
In response to Reply # 1

Salt Lake City, US

Thanks for the tips. I doubt I'll suffer a lack of subjects. However after speaking to a photographer who lives out there I've decided to postpone until early March, just a few weeks after my original itinerary. Looking forward to it.

Cheers!

Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Fri 11-Jan-13 05:58 PM
2498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photographing in Big Sur in February?"
In response to Reply # 2

Vantaa, FI

Claudia,

I thought that you’ll get enough tips for a two-month vacation, and there’s no point for me to chime in from this side of the Atlantic. But I am posting one of my wife’s photos from Big Sur (Oct 2009).

Why don't I post one of my own photos? Because I don’t have any from this spot! I made the mistake of ignoring several perfectly good sites because of the mist / haze / fog, whatever you call it. My wife took some documentary shots. This one turned out to be quite nice after some post-processing. We printed it big, framed and mounted on a wall. The lesson I learned that the distances are so vast, and the mist to thick, that by looking at the scene it’s very hard to predict how will come out after post.

Places we liked in particular: Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (one of the few waterfalls falling into an ocean), Bixby bridge, Monterey harbor with seals and otters.

Regards, Antero

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 11:46 PM
#4. "RE: Photographing in Big Sur in February?"
In response to Reply # 3

Salt Lake City, US

Nice image by your wife! I've been in these situations, Antero, where I've passed on an opportunity because I didn't think the conditions would work. And then I've regretted it. This one is quite lovely.

Cheers!

Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 17-Jan-13 02:20 AM
4492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photographing in Big Sur in February?"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

As a boy I lived near the Big Sur area for a couple of years and often want to return to do some photography. At some point, I will. I have taken some online courses with Doug Steakley who resides in that region and does photography workshops. He is a fine photographer and you might find some interesting information about the area from his websites.

http://www.douglassteakley.com/DouglasSteakleyPhotography/Welcome.html

http://photography.org/trustees/bot_ds.php

Have fun on your adventure...it is a beautiful area of California.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

adguy71 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2006Mon 21-Jan-13 06:23 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photographing in Big Sur in February?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wheaton, US

Don't miss Point Lobos! Just a couple miles south of Carmel is Point Lobos State Park where the Westons and Adams made so many brilliant images. Don't miss a day of shooting there. I'll be making a visit to Point Lobos in March.

buddyro48 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009Wed 23-Jan-13 01:59 AM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Photographing in Big Sur in February?"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Maria, US

Hi Claudia,

Just so happens that I was at "Ragged Point" area of that beautiful coastline today...That is a little farther south from "Big Sur" but equally spectacular..It was the clearest day I have seen there in quite awhile...even saw 3-4 whales..

I don't think you can go wrong anywhere between Monterey & San Simeon. I would check road conditions at the time you are going however, as the rainy season can bring mudslides..Which is the reason I was there, my company was repaving one of the slide areas...and as luck would have it I did not have my camera with me...(live and learn)

Good luck and happy shooting,

Regards,
Michael

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #71285 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.