Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #71264
View in linear mode

Subject: "Seneca Rocks" Previous topic | Next topic
umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Wed 09-Jan-13 02:24 AM
1929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Seneca Rocks"

Lexington, US

I treated myself today to a birthday drive. I visited a place I've been meaning to visit for a while. Seneca Rocks is a large quartzite formation in Pendleton County West Virginia.

D5000, Sigma 10-20@ 18mm, f/10, 1/320s, ISO 200

D5000, Sigma 10-20@ 11.5mm, f/14, 1/15s, ISO 200

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Seneca Rocks
HBB Moderator
09th Jan 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member
10th Jan 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member
11th Jan 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member
11th Jan 2013
HBB Moderator
10th Jan 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member
11th Jan 2013
pixures Silver Member
19th Jan 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member
20th Jan 2013
pixures Silver Member
20th Jan 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member
21st Jan 2013
pixures Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
psf914
28th Jan 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member
29th Jan 2013

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 09-Jan-13 10:50 PM
8443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Scottie:

I had to look at these for a while to come to the following observations.

Top Image

The dark, massive shaded peak above the brightly illuminated trees casts a dark spell on the image. The sky, while nice and blue is filled with what appear to be jet aircraft contrails.

Suggest cropping the top off the image down to top of the tallest tree on the left side, making it a panorama. This renders the peak behind the trees as background, not an ominous, overpowering mass.

Following the crop, the perfectly level strip of green grass provides a nice contrasting base for the trees above it.

While both sites have a lot of potential, I believe this one is the stronger of the two in its simplicity.

Bottom Image

I have the reverse sensation with this one. The dark, massive slab of rock at the bottom right of the image pulls my attention from the brighter trees and sky above it. That said, consider cropping the sky out completely, leaving the slab at the bottom of the image as the focal point. The viewers eye and attention will then settle on the small, white waterfall at the bottom, leaving a nice path for the eye to follow as the stream exits the image near the upper left corner.

To my ancient old eyes, both sites are rich with possibilities. They would be really something to capture after a heavy snow fall of a foot or more. We both know that composition and cropping are very personal, subjective disciplines. These are my thoughts, other opinions will vary.

Nicely done Scottie! Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Thu 10-Jan-13 12:37 PM
1929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 1

Lexington, US

Hello, Hal. Thanks for the thoughtful and constructive comments. Here are my thoughts:

Top Image

My intention was not for the peak to cast "a dark spell on the image." I meant for the peak to be the most powerful element in the image and for the trees and grass to provide an interesting foreground. After all, seeing the peak is the reason I drove two hours to this location. The sun was providing light from frame right and behind the peak which caused the shadows on the peak itself. Perhaps opening the shadows on the peak more would lessen the ominous feeling but maintain it's powerful presence.

As for the sky-I spent probably and hour and a half at this location and the entire time I was there plane after plane zoomed by overhead leaving the contrails. The location is obviously below a very busy airline flight path. So I waited until I was between planes and the contrails had dissipated a bit before I took the shot. Not ideal, I know. Like you I like to capture an image and not create one, but in this situation I may try something creative with the sky. I attached a crop below per your suggestion and it just doesn't work for me because it loses the very element that I wanted to highlight.

Bottom Image

I tend to agree with your assessment of this one, but again, I wanted to include the peak, this time as a background element. I like a compromise of your crop suggestion and my original post. What do you think of the crop below? It loses some sky and cleans up the right edge but keeps the peak in the background.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Thu 10-Jan-13 03:14 PM
2174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 2

Hectorspruit, ZA

I tend to agree with Hal. Regarding the second picture I would like to crop it down to the (wall?) just above the waterline.This will give you a panoramic view. I like the line of the slab leading and meeting the wall to the lighter color brush in the left corner (after cropping). I used the slider on the screen to visualize it.

Aart

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Thu 10-Jan-13 03:47 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 3

Camberley, GB

Well Scottie. I guess we all see things differently. I don't like the revised crop of #1 and think the original works a lot better. To me the cropping off of the peak looks ugly and incomplete. I agree with Hal's comments about the contrails but perhaps a bit of judicious work with something like the Clone Tool might alleviate it a bit.

On #2 I'm not unhappy with your original but I think Aart makes a good suggestion.
Just my two penneth.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Fri 11-Jan-13 01:13 PM
#7. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 4

Lexington, US

Thank you, Derek. You make some valid points. I'm not really unhappy with either shots as originally posted. I think both could use some more work though.

Scottie

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Fri 11-Jan-13 01:09 PM
#6. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 3

Lexington, US

Thanks, for commenting, Aart. It seem as though my composition of the second image may have put too much emphasis on the slab in the foreground.

Scottie

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 10-Jan-13 03:48 PM
8443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Scottie:

It seems true that viewers eyes are drawn to the whitest/brightest components of an image. That is how I typically react when first viewing an image. If there are more than one or two such areas, my eye wanders about, seeking a place to land.

I realize that the peak was to be your focal point but, being as dark as it is, it seems to be fighting with all the other brighter components of the image for attention.

I like your crop of the top image. The bright trees grab my attention and hold it while I admire the contrast with the foreground and background elements. With all the brightness in the foreground, green grass, snow, white trees, I can't visualize the peak as the prominent feature. Personal preference, and certainly not the only possible reaction.

The bottom image is also more attractive. To my eye, it has a more natural feel, without as much of the bright sky overhead. I now focus on the white water in the foreground first, and then to the nice vanishing point perspective as the river exits the scene to the left.

I'm not suggesting that an image has to have a single focal point. Some of my night shots of law enforcement officers have a lot going on: dark backgrounds, moving vehicles, lots of bright flashing lights, one or more officers, K9 handlers and dogs, etc. The goal for those images is to convey the dynamics of police work, which can be far from pastoral. You are striving for a much different goal.

The site has lots of potential. If I had access to it, I would be spending a lot of time there. I suspect that the compositional dynamics of the site change with the seasons, suggesting a set of four identical images from the same point, one for each season. The challenge would be to find the "perfect" composition with all components in balance for each of the four images. Then wait for the ideal day, weather, lighting, etc. to capture each image. Your mission Mr. Phelps, should you choose to accept it.

Thanks for some great images of a challenging and rewarding site, and for the discussion. Always nice working with you.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Fri 11-Jan-13 01:31 PM
#8. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 5

Lexington, US

"The site has lots of potential. If I had access to it, I would be spending a lot of time there. I suspect that the compositional dynamics of the site change with the seasons, suggesting a set of four identical images from the same point, one for each season. The challenge would be to find the "perfect" composition with all components in balance for each of the four images. Then wait for the ideal day, weather, lighting, etc. to capture each image. Your mission Mr. Phelps, should you choose to accept it."

I accept! I agree that the site has lots of potential. I was working on a somewhat structured time frame this time around. I plan to go back when I can dedicate more time to taking it all in-really experience the site. I like your idea of identical shots at different times of year. Thanks, Hal for your patience and candor. Always nice working with you as well.

Scottie

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Sat 19-Jan-13 01:31 AM
280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Scottie,

If the drive to Seneca Rocks is not too far, a thought would be to shoot it around the time of a full moon. The late afternoon sun illuminates the cliff face, and if you wait until moon rise and orient yourself correctly, you can catch the moon right in the notch.

It would be bad etiquette to post my images into your thread, but if you are OK with it, I will happily reply with a couple of images.

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sun 20-Jan-13 05:22 AM
#10. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 9

Lexington, US

Bill, that would have to be a very carefully planned trip. I live about 2 to 2 and a half hour from the rocks.

"It would be bad etiquette to post my images into your thread, but if you are OK with it, I will happily reply with a couple of images."

I don't mind at all. I would like to see them.

Scottie

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Sun 20-Jan-13 03:36 PM
280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Scottie,

Let's try this... Here is a link to my West Virginia gallery. It has 8 images, each with a title. Along with Seneca Rocks, I have some shots from Blackwater Falls and a Spruce Knob sunset.

http://www.images-captured.com/p612698989/h2b07e49e#h2b07e49e

If you visit the gallery, you can get larger views, up to the available screen size, by clicking on the image you want to see.

I think WV is a beautiful state and I most definitely plan to go back soon

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Mon 21-Jan-13 02:17 AM
#12. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 11

Lexington, US

Very nice, Bill. Did you plan the shot with the moon in the notch? What time of year was the shot taken?

Your website is nice. I really liked your shots of the Cleveland skyline. Are you from that area? My wife is from Medina so we're there once or twice a year. Any suggestions on good locations to get good skyline shots?

Scottie

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Mon 21-Jan-13 02:59 AM
#13. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Scottie,

Thanks for the comments about my site.

Some of my Cleveland Skyline shots were from Edgewater Park which is closer than Lakewood Park, though their views are similar.

This view was from Edgwater and did not require a long telephoto, but it was a little hazy:
http://www.images-captured.com/p494459364/h139c6ca3#h139c6ca3

The moon rising thru the notch of Seneca Rock was planned using the Photographer's Ephemeris and a fair amount of fine tuning by foot at the time of the shot to get it lined up. The date of the shot was May 3, 2012.

Feel free to send me a private message for any Cleveland info which off the topic.

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 11:35 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

I really like the second shot...the low angle and flow of the water and the rock structure in the background filling in the frame. This looks very similar to a river that runs near Mirror Lake in the Rockies above Heber, Utah. Very nice

Peter

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Tue 29-Jan-13 12:22 PM
#15. "RE: Seneca Rocks"
In response to Reply # 14

Lexington, US

Thanks, Peter.

Scottie

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #71264 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.