Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70919
View in linear mode

Subject: "The Savill Garden - first day out with new toy" Previous topic | Next topic
MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Wed 26-Dec-12 02:35 PM
3249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The Savill Garden - first day out with new toy"

Camberley, GB

We dodged the rain today and headed for the Savill Garden which is part of Windsor Great Park in the UK. I had my new Christmas toy - a D7000 - so I thought I'd post up one of my first attempts. I've a lot to learn with it (so many settings), having come from my old D50.
The sky was pretty much featureless and fairly harsh. I had quite a few images over exposed and I have to sort that out but that will come with more familiarity.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Thu 27-Dec-12 01:59 AM
2111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The Savill Garden - first day out with new toy"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 27-Dec-12 02:00 AM by dagoldst

Little Rock, US

Derek,

A nice composition - well done.

Keep in mind that on the new cameras, the noise floor has dropped immensely - this is where the dynamic range has been gained - you can underexpose quite a bit to maintain highlights and recover a terrific amount of shadow detail that is extremely clean.

I have also found that after switching to LR4 I have pretty much eliminated blown highlights with the exception of only the most extreme DR, (this was with my D200, btw). My D600 is bullet proof in this regard. Your D7k has around 4.5 stops more DR than the D50 and 3.5 more than my old D200 - you should find it really hard to overexpose.

Regards,

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Thu 27-Dec-12 09:16 AM
3249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The Savill Garden - first day out with new toy"
In response to Reply # 1

Camberley, GB

Thanks for the feedback and advice David.

You have confirmed my feelings that I could look at erring towards underexposing without hitting noise problems. Yesterday I used Matrix metering but I may play around with other options.

I was desperate to get out yesterday and get a few shots in the bag and test it out. There wasn't too much to catch my eye but I thought the Dogwoods in this image gave a little colour.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70919 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.