nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70844
View in linear mode

Subject: "Winter Storm over Utah Lake" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 11:04 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Winter Storm over Utah Lake"

Traverse City, US

The light during winter here in Utah is such a treat to work with. Driving along the west side of Utah Lake last weekend during a break in the first Winter storm to hit here was quite an experience. The sun peaked out just a bit during a short break and created some very dramatic skies over Utah Lake. I spotted a single small tree along the lakeshore which provided some perspective to the immensity of the mountains to the east. This region of the country is just spectacular day after day no matter which direction you choose to explore.

Nikon D800E Nikon 24-120 f4 ISO 100 86mm 1/250 at f8 white balance auto

I looked at this in black and white but I liked the subtle color in the mountains and the various shades of gray so decided on posting in color.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Winter Storm over Utah Lake
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
23rd Dec 2012
MasterDabber
23rd Dec 2012
psf914
24th Dec 2012
psf914
24th Dec 2012
pixmax
26th Dec 2012
psf914
27th Dec 2012

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Sun 23-Dec-12 03:23 AM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Winter Storm over Utah Lake"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Lovely.

You are doing a great job of capturing images of this beautiful area.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MasterDabber Registered since 10th Dec 2005Sun 23-Dec-12 09:09 AM
3276 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Winter Storm over Utah Lake"
In response to Reply # 1

Camberley, UK

Hi Peter. Very moody, atmospheric. I like the sky. Good idea to include that tree, as you say, it gives some idea on the relative size of the background mountains.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 24-Dec-12 03:14 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Winter Storm over Utah Lake"
In response to Reply # 2

Traverse City, US

Thanks Derek

The winter light is a real treat. We'll get a storm for a couple days then the snow stops and we have a day or so of very dramatic skies before the sun comes out again. It's hard trying to decide what to keep for the library and what to delete.

Peter

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 24-Dec-12 03:12 PM
#3. "RE: Winter Storm over Utah Lake"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Diane

There's so much to see around here and the weather changes daily .. I have to stock up on memory cards. The winter is just getting started and already have dozens of shots for my library.

Peter

pixmax Registered since 07th Nov 2012Wed 26-Dec-12 04:43 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Winter Storm over Utah Lake"
In response to Reply # 3

MX

Hi Peter, that's a beautiful image, moody and calm; you need to frame that one.

Antonio

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 27-Dec-12 01:29 PM
#6. "RE: Winter Storm over Utah Lake"
In response to Reply # 5

Traverse City, US

Thanks Antonio

If you find a scene like this out here and stand and watch for a short time the light will change half a dozen times... It's strange to see just the mountain tops lit by sunshine when everything around them is shaded by storm clouds...doesn't even look real sometimes. But it's great to photograph. Winter is going to be an interesting challenge.

Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70844 Previous topic | Next topic