nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70831
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight" Previous topic | Next topic
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 05:55 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"

Phoenix, US

Just got back from hiking in the Grand Canyon. It was a bit cold but really beautiful with almost no crowds. Here is a night shot (30s exposure) from the bridge to Bright Angel campground. Only the moon was lighting the scene of this view of the Bright Angel Creek flowing towards the Colorado River. Jupiter is the bright object in the sky.

It is hard to compose in the darkness using the viewfinder so I relied on the bubble level on the hotshoe to get me close. I found that away from the city lights with the mixed white balance that daylight gave the most realistic color representation.

D7000 f/3.5 30s ISO 1000 Rokinon 8mm

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight
mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
22nd Dec 2012
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer
22nd Dec 2012
mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
23rd Dec 2012
rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Dec 2012
MasterDabber
22nd Dec 2012
22nd Dec 2012
22nd Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
23rd Dec 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Dec 2012
23rd Dec 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Dec 2012
spiritualized67 Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
Hans Ztz Silver Member Awarded for his outstandig Landscape Images.
23rd Dec 2012
Izzie Gold Member
23rd Dec 2012
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
24th Dec 2012

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Sat 22-Dec-12 06:39 PM
4469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Very nice Dean. When you look at the image @ 100%, do the stars still look okay? I just wonder if the 30 sec. exposure would make them look fuzzy.
Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 09:27 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Larry, at 100% you can see the movement of the stars but just barely. There is a rule of thumb of 500/(Focal Length) to give the shutter speed where blurring will be evident. On my 8mm DX convert to full frame for the formula and I have 500/(8 * 1.5) = 42 seconds. So 30 seconds is still OK by the formula. Shooting wide open is not the best for producing sharp images but stopping down would increase the shutter time and increasing the ISO would create intolerable noise robbing detail. Trade offs.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Sun 23-Dec-12 11:51 AM
4469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 4

Lakeville, US

Thanks for the reply Dean.
I am aware of the formula you stated. When I shoot at 14mm on a full frame I don't like much beyond 15 seconds even though the formula says I should be good for twice that.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 22-Dec-12 08:40 PM
4578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

That's a very beautiful image,Dean. Nice shooting.

Rick

MasterDabber Registered since 10th Dec 2005Sat 22-Dec-12 09:09 PM
3278 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 22-Dec-12 09:11 PM by MasterDabber

Camberley, UK

A very nice image Dean. An interesting comment regarding the use of the bubble level.
I'm optimistic that Father Christmas is bringing me a D7000 for Christmas... hope I can produce something as nice.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 09:31 PM
#6. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

I'm sure you will find some interesting subjects for your new D7000. Maybe you should look for a bubble level in your stocking as the built in sensor will only indicate one axis of information and a wide angle or fisheye needs to be level in two planes to avoid distortion effects unless that's what you are looking to produce.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 09:27 PM
#5. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Thanks Rick.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sun 23-Dec-12 12:53 AM
1344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

This is a very special photo, Dean. After using the formula to determine a 30 second expoasure did you then set the other variable manually by trial and error or did you let the D7000 determine aperture and ISO settings. I'd be interested in hearing a more detailed explanation of your methodolgy.

Russ

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sun 23-Dec-12 03:30 AM
#9. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 7

Phoenix, US

I did not even check to see what the camera would have suggested although I think it may have been pretty close. I know the the noise increases at ISOs higher than 1250 at a rate that causes diminishing returns on usable sharpness balanced against unsightly blotches of color noise. I had been doing some similar shots down by the river and settled in on the ISO and the aperture of that lens if wide open at f/3.5.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 23-Dec-12 02:00 AM
6264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Great shot, Dean. Did you de-fish this?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sun 23-Dec-12 03:32 AM
#10. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 8

Phoenix, US

No, it's not de-fished. The lens has a pretty nice distortion pattern and if I keep it level the results look normal. I don't have any specific software to accomplish this. Do you or anyone else have something to recommend?

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 23-Dec-12 04:31 PM
6264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 10

Tacoma, US

DxO Optics Pro will defish, as will PTLens. But I'm not sure if they will work with the Rokkinon lens.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Sun 23-Dec-12 04:02 AM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

Nice capture Dean. You had me at the title.

~Dan

Hans Ztz Silver Member Awarded for his outstandig Landscape Images. Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2009Sun 23-Dec-12 11:39 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Regensburg, DE

This is a very beautiful image - very well done Dean! Wow!!!

Ciao - Hans (Bavaria/Germany)

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Sun 23-Dec-12 12:00 PM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Chesterfield, US

Nice shot, Dean....Wow!

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 24-Dec-12 01:07 PM
4832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Bright Angel Creek by Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Very nice image.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70831 Previous topic | Next topic