Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70824
View in linear mode

Subject: "D800e : Landscape Photography that sells" Previous topic | Next topic
GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Fri 21-Dec-12 09:12 PM
482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"

Bailey, US

Hi. Don't see where to post this so please move it if necessary.

How does one differentiate their work from the pack of good photographers to present landscape photography that sells? My photos are good but they don't jump out from many other good photographers.

The only prints I am selling at this point are HDR's . . what I call a Caricature Series of a local tourist town. They are selling at $300-400/mo. I only did these to raise money to buy the D800e. No one is buying the beautiful landscapes which are my real passion. What makes a landscape photo that sells? Thanks, Gary

www.GaryPackPhotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells
Herbc Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
dagoldst Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
OldCodger
23rd Dec 2012
ericbowles Moderator
23rd Dec 2012
slothead Gold Member
23rd Dec 2012
sevtcard Silver Member
24th Dec 2012
newbird Silver Member
24th Dec 2012
AZBlue
25th Dec 2012
AZBlue
25th Dec 2012
Clint S Silver Member
27th Dec 2012
ericbowles Moderator
27th Dec 2012
esantos Moderator
27th Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
28th Dec 2012

Herbc Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 02:01 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Gary, I don't have a clue to answer you. I have a friend who has a method to sell images online via download. I don't know the technical details of that route. I have made a few good landscapes that got into pretty decent museum shows, one the state Art Museum in NC, but I think the only way to really break into money is to get a rep with the "Fine Art" community, no easy feat. Most folks don't collect photographs that cost much so you either get to be famous or go the volume route online.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 03:58 PM
2100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

>How does one differentiate their work from the pack of good photographers to present landscape photography that sells?

It's really difficult to do these days - there are so many good photographers and so much good equipment. From purely a technical perspective, you have to produce stunning images, not just good images.

From a representation point of view, getting a gallery to represent your work means it has to be really good. Believe me, they get hit up with artists of all sorts every single day, reject 99% of the queries, but are always looking for superb work.

Just a perspective,

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sun 23-Dec-12 09:22 AM
557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 2

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

There might be a clue in what you wrote, the beautiful landscapes are your passion, but are they the passion of enough of those who might only want to buy a 'picture' for a blank wall? You are selling some clearly more commercial work, should you run two strands? Continue to do what you enjoy and what really satisfies you, but do it mainly for your own enjoyment while still creating the commercial work that, as you say sells more easily.
Perhaps you need to identify your market segment and really target it with what it wants. You are clearly more than half way there having a proven track record of selling, though perhaps not yet in the volumes you would like?
With economic times being hard romantic, distracting images will sell to a market segment, if you can reach it, but is the work to get there worth the reward?
A final thought, if you go ahead with the two strands idea, you might like to use a slightly different ID for the 'fine art style' sales to avoid being pigeon holed as that 'something else' picture maker.
(As an indication of what I mean about commercial rather than art products. I played Santa at a Christmas fair, pictures were taken of the children with Santa and sold in volume, right product, right place (my face was covered, probably a good thing!) Depressing though it is I doubt that art pictures would have sold at all.)
Richard

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 23-Dec-12 11:35 AM
8592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

<What makes a landscape photo that sells?>

Marketing

Seriously - there are lots of good landscapes. Great light, great composition, interesting subject, appropriate post processing. You truly need something exceptional that makes a landscape something rare rather than an every day scene.

I also think it's better to shoot landscapes around your target market. There are thousands of photographers shooting the Grand Canyon in unique weather with great light. I can't sell Grand Canyon images in Atlanta - I have to sell images from the Georgia coast, the Smokies, a local barn, or the skyline.

Given that you have good landscapes, it's all about marketing. Pick the markets where you want to sell your images. Getting your images in the right venue for sales and to the right audience. And it takes lots of effort since 99% of the people that see your images don't buy.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 23-Dec-12 04:09 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 4

Frederick, US

I think that is a lot of excellent advice Eric.

Thanks,

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Mon 24-Dec-12 03:05 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 5

Brattleboro, US

what sells to the masses is a great scene which has generally been taken many times before, more or less the same way, i.e. cliche, and consequently without much originality, but which, as Eric said, has been marketed well - my brother is a painter who, several world famous artists i know have said, should be world famous, but he doesn't know how/want to market himself and so goes mostly unrecognized...if you're interested in finding an outlet for self-expression that varies from the mainstream schlock (like the perfect sunset or wave crashing), then you've got to be a really good marketer or find an angel who'll subsidize your work, otherwise, you probably won't sell much...it's no accident that most great artists are only recognized post-mortem when someone 'discovers' and markets their work....
www.broadwallphotography.com

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Mon 24-Dec-12 02:56 AM
2002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 4

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

i would say exactly the same thing than Eric.

In spite of having nice landscapes from around the world, all my sales are from local landscapes (90% of buyers are from my region or lived here in the past).

I do very little marketing insofar, but word of mouth works well.

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

AZBlue Registered since 09th Jun 2012Tue 25-Dec-12 06:42 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My question is this - does it really matter? I disagree with the other folks here... Because art is entirely subjective, if you project confidence about your work and present yourself as a professional landscape photographer to those who don't know any better (99% of us out there), we will think your stuff is great.

Ask a local news station or newspaper to do a story about your "life's work". Get yourself a nice store front using a service like Shopify, and sell prints online. Have a few friends shoot a video interview of you, your technique, etc., and post it to your sight. Give yourself the credibility that others haven't. I guarantee that your sales will go through the roof.

You see, financial success has little to do with whether you're a really great artist or photographer and more to do with convincing those who know nothing that you are. The latter is usually the easier of the two.

AZBlue Registered since 09th Jun 2012Tue 25-Dec-12 07:16 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Case in point: Ken Rockwell

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Thu 27-Dec-12 06:03 AM
451 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

Colorado is a mixed market. There are so many transplanted people there and then the very large tourist industry that opens many doors for photography of more than just Colorado.

Take a trip down to Denver and go to John Fielder's and the Denver Photo Art Gallery. John Fielder is one of the few I know of that specializes in Colorado landscapes and has for decades. At the Denver Photo Art Gallery you will see something very different.

Call ahead see if you can take John Fielder to lunch and tell him what you are trying to learn or figure out.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 27-Dec-12 01:30 PM
8592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Gary

We've talked a little about marketing and markets, but do you want to talk about fine art landscape images?

What I see selling are truly compelling images that are well executed. That means very well executed images that are truly striking. A great landscape image is not available every day. Commercially successful images can be simply well executed images with good compositions. But the WOW images are those that convey a feeling of a location and have an extra spark of emotion.

The extra spark in a landscape image is often weather related. It could be a shaft of light hitting just the right place, blooming flowers with drops of rain, or water creating a reflection. Light is also a source of a special spark. Think about Ansel Adams Moonrise image - the light was in the right place for just a few minutes. My favorite Smokies image is by Bill Lea - and features wonderful sidelighting of the first rays of sun filtering through the trees and lighting the fog in Cades Cove. These images are only possible at a certain time of year and a certain time of day and without one of the elements, they are good but not great.

Great photographers feel they are lucky to have 2-3 really successful images in a year. From a commercial perspective, you'd starve unless you had a portfolio developed over many years. But it's a portfolio of truly great landscape images without the clutter of average images that truly makes a mark and sells as great landscapes. And of course - marketing is still required.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 27-Dec-12 05:59 PM
11602 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu 27-Dec-12 06:11 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Good points Eric. You can have all the photographic and post processing skills in the world but if you simply are not out in the field spending a lot of time waiting for the light (or chasing it for that matter) you will rarely get those once-in-a-lifetime images. And even then if you do not market yourself appropriately and have adequate business acumen it will be very hard to become a successful landscape artist. And by success I mean make enough money to support yourself and possibly a family. What I see as trending is less and less sales of prints and more sales as digital imagery, and sorry to say, spending time teaching rather than doing. That's not necessarily bad, but people should know this and understand that most successful photographers have to supplement print/image sales with instruction and workshops in order to make a living.

If you want a sober and realistic testament to this whole issue take a look at Bob Krist's blog story at Singh-Ray. A world renowned still photographer for decades and even he has had to branch out into a whole new medium - video storytelling. A great article with a lot of food for thought. I used to follow his own blog for insightful reportage but he has even discontinued his blogging activities. All this is just signs of the times, I think.

http://singhray.blogspot.com/2012/12/in-his-transition-from-stills-to-video.html

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 28-Dec-12 01:25 PM
14547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D800e : Landscape Photography that sells"
In response to Reply # 12

Colorado Springs, US

Great advice. Bob is a fantastic photographer and an extremely nice guy. I've admired his work for years.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70824 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.