Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70789
View in linear mode

Subject: "Winter Urban Landscape" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 19-Dec-12 10:42 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Winter Urban Landscape"

Traverse City, US

We had our first heavy snow the other night and looking out my living room window I really liked the light and colors created by the parking lot lights and the buildings next door. I waited for the subject walking to leave some tracks in the snow and ended up with this picture. Shot with my D800E and Nikon 24-120 handheld at 1600 ISO F4 at 1/8th. I like the way the 800E handled the high ISO and the detail it captures with this type of subject.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Winter Urban Landscape
coolmom42 Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
psf914
20th Dec 2012
olivierrychner Gold Member
20th Dec 2012
MasterDabber Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
BrawlerO
20th Dec 2012
psf914
20th Dec 2012
psf914
20th Dec 2012
psf914
20th Dec 2012
olivierrychner Gold Member
20th Dec 2012
psf914
20th Dec 2012
DaddySS Gold Member
21st Dec 2012
psf914
22nd Dec 2012
spiritualized67 Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
psf914
24th Dec 2012
Hans Ztz Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
psf914
24th Dec 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
12th Apr 2013
psf914
15th Apr 2013

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Thu 20-Dec-12 12:12 AM
3057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Excellent composition, the footprints and man walking make a great addition! Nice job on exposure.

You are giving me a terrible case of D800 envy.

This would make an interesting B/W conversion.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 20-Dec-12 10:32 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Diane

I took a bunch of shots of people walking thru the snow to and from the buildings but liked this one best. For me, it's all the motion taking place inside the still frame...the tracks leading thru the property from the cars, the snow pouring down from the sky and of course my subject walking into the parking lot thru fresh snow...Plus, the light here was just unique and the 800E handled it well. You'll really enjoy one if you decide to buy one one of these days.. it really is a great piece of engineering.

Peter

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Thu 20-Dec-12 06:39 AM
4959 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Excellent, Pol!

The footprints and the fuzzy walker make the image!

Only nit: you seem to have shot it looking downwards - quite logically, I must add, but the keystoning effect seems to be uneven between the right and the left of the image. Have you tried rotating it to the left a tiny bit?

Thanks for sharing anyway!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Thu 20-Dec-12 12:29 PM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 2

Camberley, GB

Nice job Peter. Impressive ISO performance as you say. Just to repeat the others... the walker gives it the finishing touch.
The keystoning Olivier refers to may be hard to fix I suspect.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

BrawlerO Registered since 01st Nov 2012Thu 20-Dec-12 02:10 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 3

Wokingham, GB

Love it! Really captures a winter atmosphere. Nice job.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 20-Dec-12 10:39 PM
#9. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 4

Traverse City, US

Thanks Rob

I really liked the architecture here and the way they have the street lights lined up along the edge of the parking lot. I've shot this place many times in different weather and times of day. All I have to do is open the curtains and point the camera... each day is a little different the light changes dramatically depending on the weather.

Peter

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 20-Dec-12 10:37 PM
#8. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 3

Traverse City, US

Thanks Derek

WIth the software available today and especially the tools in CS6 getting the buildings straight shouldn't be too difficult. I just have to learn how to use it properly. The adaptive wide angle filter was designed for just such shots.

Peter

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 20-Dec-12 10:35 PM
#7. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 2

Traverse City, US

Thanks Olivier

I looked at the final shot for quite a while and because the lights near the subject and the subject are both almost perfectly vertical I left it alone. However, the wide angle adaptive filter in CS6 should help take care of the keystone issue. I haven't used it for anything other than just practice...but it works well. Once I get a good feel for it I'll test it on this shot and repost. Thanks for the input.

Peter

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Thu 20-Dec-12 04:02 PM
4959 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 20-Dec-12 04:02 PM by olivierrychner

CH

I took the liberty to have a quick go at it in CS3: tranformation to rotate it, then perspective, then transformation to try and come back to more original proportions - not pushed the exercise to its limits, though, the car in the foreground is now much more compact than in the original image

Of course, I have lost quite a bit of substance in the process, but on his original, Pol has enough megapixels to keep something quite printable!

Cheerio,

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 20-Dec-12 10:42 PM
#10. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 5

Traverse City, US

Hey Olivier,

Im going to work with the "adaptive wide angle filter" tool in CS6 on this and see how it works. From the tutorial it's very easy to use. I'll work on it a bit and see what I can do. Appreciate the input..

Peter

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Fri 21-Dec-12 07:28 PM
823 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

This is one of those great captures that happens on the spur of the moment and for which we should always look out. Great image!

The D800 also does a good job like you mentioned.......uh oh....NAS......

Richard

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 07:56 PM
#12. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 11

Traverse City, US

Thanks Richard

This is why I always have a camera nearby with a fresh battery. The region around Orem is one of the best spots I've been for photography. We're expecting another winter storm tonight so fresh snow to check out along the rivers and open range tomorrow.

cheers

Peter

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Sun 23-Dec-12 03:01 AM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

Really nice to look at on many levels. I especially like the luminosity. Nicely composed too!

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 24-Dec-12 02:09 PM
#15. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 13

Traverse City, US

Thanks Dan

It was a real eye grabber the minute I pulled the shade open and saw what was going on outside with the firs snowfall. This is just a small part of the complex and there's always activity here...but the snow and the way the place is lighted really created a nice atmosphere.

cheers
Peter

Hans Ztz Silver Member Awarded for his outstandig Landscape Images. Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2009Sun 23-Dec-12 10:43 AM
1093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 0

Regensburg, DE

Wonderful light and colors ... great winter shot!

Ciao - Hans (Bavaria/Germany)

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 24-Dec-12 02:10 PM
#16. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 14

Traverse City, US

Thanks Hans

I've shot the surrounding grounds a bunch of times during different kinds of weather and included the mountains you can see both east and west from here. Always something new to see depending on the weather.

Peter

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 12-Apr-13 01:34 AM
4587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Beautiful image.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 15-Apr-13 03:12 PM
#18. "RE: Winter Urban Landscape"
In response to Reply # 17

Traverse City, US

Thanks JD

This is one of my favorite "spur of the moment" photos. Just opened the blinds to see this unfolding and grabbed the D800E and started shooting.

Appreciate the comments

Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70789 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.