Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70703
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mule Deer and Mountain Tops" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 17-Dec-12 06:00 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mule Deer and Mountain Tops"
Mon 17-Dec-12 06:01 PM by psf914

Traverse City, US

Found a good size herd of Mule Deer feeding in a corn field near Cedar Vally Utah Sunday morning. Took the attached from my front seat at about 15 miles an hour after a short still photo session with the group. They spooked when I moved my car to follow them walking then broke into a full run when I tried to catch up to them. Had to shoot on the move ... road was empty, no side roads coming into it and I could see the entire length to the main road a mile away so no safety issues. I was shooting wide for Landscape with my Nikon 24-120. Also the D800E

The snow had stopped for a while Sunday and presented us with some beautiful skies. And as always the mountain tops around here provide a great backdrop for any shot.

cheers, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my fellow Nikonians. Good shooting in the coming year and here's to adventures to come.

Peter

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mule Deer and Mountain Tops
danshep Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
psf914
18th Dec 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
psf914
18th Dec 2012
Izzie Gold Member
19th Dec 2012
BrawlerO
19th Dec 2012
psf914
19th Dec 2012
psf914
19th Dec 2012

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberMon 17-Dec-12 07:17 PM
1320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mule Deer and Mountain Tops"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

What a fun shot, Peter!

You could use this image as a Christmas card!

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 18-Dec-12 10:54 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mule Deer and Mountain Tops"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Dan

I've been using this as my email Christmas card. Great that the wildlife here was willing to cooperate. This place is amazing.

Peter

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Tue 18-Dec-12 12:01 AM
3004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mule Deer and Mountain Tops"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

What a wonderful image! That is wall-worthy & Christmas card material, for sure. This is indeed a beautiful part of the world.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 18-Dec-12 10:56 PM
#4. "RE: Mule Deer and Mountain Tops"
In response to Reply # 2

Traverse City, US

Thanks Diane

I've told a number of photographer friends if they haven't been to this part of the U.S. they should set aside some time for a trip. Thankfully I have time to explore and see the four seasons..each one has something very unique to offer.

Peter

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Wed 19-Dec-12 08:04 AM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mule Deer and Mountain Tops"
In response to Reply # 0

Chesterfield, US

You did very well in this one...Great shot!

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

BrawlerO Registered since 01st Nov 2012Wed 19-Dec-12 09:06 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Mule Deer and Mountain Tops"
In response to Reply # 5

Wokingham, GB

Great image! The way the deer are running almost looks like a single animal shot multiple times and overlaid.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 19-Dec-12 10:59 AM
#8. "RE: Mule Deer and Mountain Tops"
In response to Reply # 6

Traverse City, US

Thanks Rob

They were grouped together when they first started running but eventually spread out into this line. If you look at the 3rd from the front it's a small 4 point buck. There was another buck in the group but he was further back. All of them joined another part of the herd just before they crossed the road in front of my car (see attached photos). Looks like there were about 20 altogether. Now I'm hoping to get some good shots of Pronghorn and Elk that come to the lower range to feed after snowstorms like the one we just had.

Peter

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 19-Dec-12 10:54 AM
#7. "RE: Mule Deer and Mountain Tops"
In response to Reply # 5

Traverse City, US

Thanks Izzie

It helps to have a cooperative subject...I've been looking for shots here where I could incorporate wildlife into the landscape but most of them have been too far away ...especially mountain goats and moose which I've seen in the mountains between here and Park City. This was the first chance I had to get close enough...and the deer did exactly what I needed...

cheers
Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70703 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.