Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70694
View in linear mode

Subject: "Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ" Previous topic | Next topic
russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Mon 17-Dec-12 02:58 PM
1270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"

Phoenix, US

Four shots of Four Peaks, with Saguaro Lake as the foreground element.

D300
Nikon 16-85 VR @ 31mm
f5.6
ISO 200
3 exposures, 2 stops apart, merged in Photomatix Pro

D300
Nikon 16-85 VR @ 58mm
f5.6
ISO 200
3 exposures, 2 stops apart, merged in Photomatix Pro

D300
Nikon 16-85 VR @ 85mm
f5.6
ISO 200
4 exposures, 1 stop apart, merged in Photomatix Pro

D300
Nikon 16-85 VR @ 55mm
f8
1/640 sec
ISO 200

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ
pixmax
17th Dec 2012
MasterDabber Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
Rassie Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
danshep Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
DAJolley Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
Drbee Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
rb4good Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
rb4good Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
dagoldst Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
18th Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
rb4good Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
rb4good Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
mnbuilder49 Moderator
22nd Dec 2012
russg Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012

pixmax Registered since 07th Nov 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 03:24 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 0

MX

Those are wonderful images, excellent composition.

Cheers, Antonio

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Mon 17-Dec-12 03:27 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 1

Camberley, GB

Russ, Four nice images. Great use of HDR.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Mon 17-Dec-12 09:26 PM
1270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Derek. The HDR processing was an unfortunate necessity to capture the dynamic range of these scenes. There are quite visible artifacts in the form of halos on the three HDR images, that I was unable to completely eliminate. Perhaps it's time to evalute another HDR software product.

Russ

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Mon 17-Dec-12 09:22 PM
#7. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Antonio.

Russ

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Mon 17-Dec-12 03:49 PM
2841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

Beautiful pictures, Russ.

I especially like the side light in the last one.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberMon 17-Dec-12 07:20 PM
1314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 3

Olympia, US

I like #1 best.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Mon 17-Dec-12 09:27 PM
#9. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

Thank you, Rassie

Russ

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Mon 17-Dec-12 08:35 PM
1143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice work Russ. I also like the first one the best.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Mon 17-Dec-12 09:29 PM
#10. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 5

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Dave. Your best of 2012 submissions are really a joy to look at. Your work just keeps getting better and better. I always look forward to your submissions.

Russ

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Mon 17-Dec-12 08:57 PM
5719 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 0

Naperville, US

Russ,

Great captures. I've been kayaking on Saguaro the last couple of years. Very much beginner's stuff but what an enjoyable recreation area. I love your #3 shot. That's quite a monolith on the right. I don't think we've been on the lake when the atmosphere is quite this clear. You really have some very nice composition with great shooting-time coordination. I'm trying to remember where the palms are in #4, they look recently pruned.

Thanks for posting these. I think I'll have to return more often. We winter in Mesa so this is a convenient location for fun.

Best Regards,

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Mon 17-Dec-12 10:47 PM
#12. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Roger. Shots #1 and 2 were taken in the general area of Bagley Flats, but on the opposite shoreline. Shot #3 was taken past the no-wake buoys at the upper end of the lake. Shot #4 is taken at Sandy Beach, which is beyond (uplake) where shot #3 was taken. Any of them would be a long paddle from where you would likely lauch your kayak at the lower end of the lake.

Russ

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 17-Dec-12 09:52 PM
4174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Very nice images,Russ. Have you played with the "micro smoothing" slider. It helps eliminate halos,also I have found,that with blue skies,it sometimes helps to up the temperature slider(+2 or so).

Rick

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Mon 17-Dec-12 10:55 PM
#13. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 11

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Rick. I've moved the "micro smoothing" slider throughout its entire range, as suggested in the user's guide. It sometimes will be of help, but it's not a silver bullet. As much as Photomatix has improved since its early days, halos still seem to be a problem that is inherent to the software that I suspect might not be as noticeable in other packages such as Nik's HDR software. The problem I have with some of the alternatives is that instead of being stand-alone packages, they are only available as Photoshop plug-ins. Although I have Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4, at this stage I still prefer using Capture NX2 as my primary converter/editor, and the stand-alone version of Photomatix integrates nicely with View NX2 and Capture NX2. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Russ

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Tue 18-Dec-12 12:46 AM
4174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 13

Rocky Hill, US

That 1st image is so close to being exceptional. Have you tried using the one stop over instead of the +2 image or even just the middle shot and the underexposed ? I agree with you as to NX2, that is why I have stuck to Photomatix as well and it is a lot better than it was originally.

Rick

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Tue 18-Dec-12 12:54 AM
#15. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 14

Phoenix, US

No, I haven't. But I agree that the scene is worthy of going back to the drawing board and trying a different methodology within Photomatix. If I'm able to substantially improve a final result, I'll post it here. Thanks for the encouragement.

Russ

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Tue 18-Dec-12 01:08 AM
2009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Shots 1 and 3 are spectacular. Well done...

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Tue 18-Dec-12 02:05 AM
#17. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 16

Phoenix, US

Thanks alot, David!

Russ

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 18-Dec-12 05:08 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Russ,

What a great day to be out shooting. I hope we get some more weather soon. I think your compositions are very strong but I am not convinced HDR is really needed for some of these shots as it seems unnatural to me. I'll wait for some rework if you feel it's worth your time but I would encourage you to pursue a different approach rather than relying on HDR to squeeze in all the dynamic range. I think the 1st one has the most potential in the bunch. Keep 'em coming!

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Tue 18-Dec-12 04:21 PM
#19. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 18

Phoenix, US

It's always a tough call for me as to when to invoke HDR processing. I always auto-bracket as a matter of policy, primarily to allow for a choice in which single exposure to process conventionally, but also to have the HDR option as a backup. Since my shooting methodology always affords me that backup option, it could be said that I might be just a bit too quick to use it. That being said, Shots 1, 2 and 3 of the original post were all taken very early in the morning, which meant fairly strong backlighting, leaving the foregrounds in deep shadow. This is always a challenge unless you choose to go the silhouette route. I was not able to improve the results of shot #1 by reworking it in Photomatix. I tried using different combinations of the bracketed exposures as suggested by Rick, but the halos remained. I just think it's a Photomatix thing. So, I took your advice and worked the -1 EV single exposure from that set to see what I might be able to bring out of it. The result is below. It clearly doesn't have the pop or wow factor of the HDR result, but it is certainly more true to the actual scene. I'd be very interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on comparing the two versions. I've also posted three additional shots taken just a little bit later that morning. These all had the advantage of strong front lighting and therefore required very little effort in post.

Russ

D300
Nikon 16-85 VR @ 58mm
f5.6
1/200 sec
ISO 200

D300
Nikon 16-85 VR @ 20mm
f8
1/400 sec
ISO 200

D300
Nikon 16-85 VR @ 16mm
f6.3
1/640 sec
ISO 200

D300
Nikon 16-85 VR @ 25mm
f56.3
1/400 sec
ISO 200

Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Tue 18-Dec-12 09:10 PM
#20. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 19
Tue 18-Dec-12 09:16 PM by rb4good

Rocky Hill, US

Russ,I played with the single shot image using Topaz Detail 3 and it seemed to give it a bit more pop.

Edited to add: I didn't work on the mountains,but that area could probably be improved as well.

Rick

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Tue 18-Dec-12 10:33 PM
#21. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 20

Phoenix, US

Very nice improvement in the flora, Rick. I've never used the Topaz product. Is it a PS plug-in or stand-alone product?

Russ

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Tue 18-Dec-12 11:22 PM
#22. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 21

Rocky Hill, US

They have about a dozen filters that are plug-ins for several different software packages,including PS. They also have a standalone(photoFXlab)filter that you can use all their other filters in and it works very well. Right now,I can only get the stand alone to work in NX2 by saving as a JEPG.In PS you can save as a tiff and they will open in NX2(Topaz is looking into why the tiffs in the stand alone won't open in NX2).

http://www.topazlabs.com/products.html

For landscapes,Topaz Detail3,Adust5 and Denoise are outstanding tools. They are constantly being improved and so far all up dates have been free for the 2-3 years I've used them. I believe all can be tried for free for 30 days and almost every month there are tutorials and discounts for various products.

Rick

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Sat 22-Dec-12 05:43 PM
3492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

They are all nice but #3 really caught my eye.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 05:50 PM
#24. "RE: Four Peaks/Saguaro Lake, AZ"
In response to Reply # 23

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Larry. I kinda like that one, too.

Russ

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70694 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.