Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70409
View in linear mode

Subject: "Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?" Previous topic | Next topic
dralph Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006Sat 08-Dec-12 01:56 AM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?"

Elmira, US

In the second week of February, I'll be visiting Jacksonville, FL for family get-together. Any interesting areas for that time of year which are day trip distance from Jacksonville?

Secondarily, might be able to make a stop on the way down or up (traveling from the Finger Lakes area of NY), say in the Smokies. But, I tend to think of that as a Fall foliage or Spring target, but I am pretty ignorant there too.

Just looking for ideas. Suggestions cheerfully considered. TIA
Dave Ralph

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?
umdaman1 Gold Member
08th Dec 2012
dagoldst Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
dralph Gold Member
08th Dec 2012
dagoldst Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
dralph Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
dagoldst Silver Member
09th Dec 2012
psf914
13th Dec 2012
dralph Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
Kat50 Silver Member
16th Dec 2012

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sat 08-Dec-12 02:56 AM
1928 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

Hello, Dave. My sister-in-law and her family live in Jacksonville and the first place that came to mind when you said "day trip distance" is St. Augustine. It is the oldest continuously occupied European established city in the continental US and photo opps abound. There are also many parks in the area, some right on the ocean. One, Huguenot Park has access to the north jetty near Naval Station Mayport-a great place to shoot Naval vessels. As far as the trip down, the Smokies are beautiful all times of year, and if you've never been there, the park is worth a visit-weather permitting. If you decide to do that, I suggest you travel I81 through Virginia (my neck of the woods). I think it's one of the most beautiful stretches of interstate highway on the east coast. Hope this helps,

Scottie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 01:37 PM
1981 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

I shot some images of downtown at night - there are some neat possibilities for that.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

dralph Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006Sat 08-Dec-12 08:38 PM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 2

Elmira, US

My thanks to you and to Scottie for the replies. I usually prefer the natural landscape to the urban landscape. Is there something unique to the Jacksonville downtown? I hear Jacksonville has more square miles than just about any other city.

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 09:46 PM
1981 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 3

Little Rock, US

David,

I was there on a biz trip, so my time to shoot was limited. Since I was near the DT area, that was where I did my shooting. It is pretty at night.

Here's a shot from my venerable D70s...

David

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

dralph Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006Sun 09-Dec-12 03:39 AM
#5. "RE: Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 4

Elmira, US

Very nice night scene; the reflections on the water make it special. Thank you for a different view of Jacksonville.

I still have my D70s too. But, about a year ago I had it converted to infrared. I found I wasn't using it very much after I splurged on a D300, and then another body after that; it has become a learning tool for IR.

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 12:09 PM
#6. "RE: Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 5

Little Rock, US

D70s does make a good IR conversion camera. Mine is wore out - it developed a card slot issue that has rendered it unreliable. Took some great pictures with it and as I reprocess some some shots in LR4 that I shot back in December 2005, they hold up to the latest stuff I see.

Have a good trip, looking forward to what you find there to show us.

David

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 13-Dec-12 08:12 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

Hi Dave,

If you have the time a short drive up to St. Simons Island in Georgia is worth the effort. Great coastline and wetlands scenery, waterfowl etc. Many times when I was working in Florida and had to cover that region as state sales manager I would stay in Jacksonville and drive up 95 to St. Simons Island in the morning and return in the afternoon. Do a little research on the town and you'll probably find a number of things worth photographing.

cheers
Peter

dralph Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006Fri 14-Dec-12 12:04 AM
#8. "RE: Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 7

Elmira, US

Peter, that sounds promising. I am warming up Google to see what I can find.
Nice bird portraits in you online album.
Thx.

Kat50 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2012Sun 16-Dec-12 02:23 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Visiting Jacksonville FL area, suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

North of Jacksonville near Amilia Island is Big Talbot State Park and Boneyard Beach. Boneyard Beach has a ton of interesting (huge) old trees and driftwood littering the beach. Great place for morning / evening shots.

Little Talbot is a huge beach with a view to the US Naval Yards and some really nice tide pools and marsh. Neither beach draws a crowd and you are likely to be the only one there.

If I had to pick one or the other I would go back to Big Talbot.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70409 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.