nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70348
View in linear mode

Subject: "The Maroon Bells near Aspen" Previous topic | Next topic
dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Thu 06-Dec-12 06:05 PM
2427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The Maroon Bells near Aspen"

Little Rock, US

From a Sept 2011 trip to Colorado

D200 - Nikkor 18-70mm

9 shot HDR - Picturenaut HDR software

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Thu 06-Dec-12 09:20 PM
5026 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The Maroon Bells near Aspen"
In response to Reply # 0

Boudry, CH

Magnificent scenery, and magnified by a HDR that doesn't scream its nature. Well done!

Out of curiosity, would you mind posting the "middle" shot of your series? I'd be really interested to see what the HDR gave you in the present case - although I don't doubt that it allowed going way past the D200 narrow DR. I had a D200, and the D300 then the D700 have been gains in that respect.

Thanks for sharing!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Fri 07-Dec-12 12:17 PM
2427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The Maroon Bells near Aspen"
In response to Reply # 1

Little Rock, US

Olivier,

Here is zero EV shot of the 9 images taken for the scene. I ran it through LR4 to see what highlights were actually still there...

David

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 07-Dec-12 01:24 PM
3052 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The Maroon Bells near Aspen"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

A beautiful scene, nicely composed.
For my personal taste I would do two things differently:
The picture is very close to being oversaturated. I would dial down colour saturation just a bit.
I would also reduce contrast a bit. I wouild prefer to see more detail in the trees along the ridgelines on the left and right.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Fri 07-Dec-12 07:44 PM
#4. "RE: The Maroon Bells near Aspen"
In response to Reply # 3

Little Rock, US

On saturation - I never saturate to the point that fine detail is lost, and that most certainly can happen moving sliders around. So my tastes obviously differs with you in this case.

On contrast - I like deep contrast in certain scenes - this was shot as the valley fell into darkness and had that deep shadow look - it's really hard to emulate in a picture, but in this case, I prefer the deep shadows to unnaturally bright greens, (in this case - I'm not talking lime green, but instead a shade that is too light for this scene).

All that said, I appreciate your feedback and your perspective.

David

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70348 Previous topic | Next topic