Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70307
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rothenburg town walls" Previous topic | Next topic
MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Tue 04-Dec-12 03:33 PM
3270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rothenburg town walls"

Camberley, GB

This is Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Germany, It is encircled by its 14th Century town walls. This part is looking towards the Kobolzeller Gate.

The day was cloudy/rainy so I had to work with what was available whilst dodging the rain.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Rothenburg town walls
GiantTristan Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
MasterDabber Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
Escaladieu Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
dagoldst Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
04th Dec 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
07th Dec 2012
CK Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
psf914
05th Dec 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
06th Dec 2012
olivierrychner Gold Member
06th Dec 2012
07th Dec 2012
07th Dec 2012
psf914
07th Dec 2012
07th Dec 2012
07th Dec 2012
07th Dec 2012
08th Dec 2012
08th Dec 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
08th Dec 2012
10th Dec 2012
10th Dec 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
10th Dec 2012
mnbuilder49 Moderator
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
Hans Ztz Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
18th Dec 2012

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 04-Dec-12 03:57 PM
1885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

Very nice picture. Just a slight correction - Rothenburg was all but destroyed during WW2. The "old" city walls date from around 1960...

Tristan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Tue 04-Dec-12 04:38 PM
3270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 1

Camberley, GB

>Very nice picture. Just a slight correction - Rothenburg was
>all but destroyed during WW2. The "old" city walls
>date from around 1960...

Thanks for the comments Tristan. Much appreciated.

My understanding of the destruction of the town is that on 31 March 1945, bombs were dropped destroying 306 houses, six public buildings, nine watchtowers, and over 2,000 feet of the wall. This destruction was mainly on the eass side of the town. The section of wall/gates that I posted the image of is on the southwest side of the town.
The town was saved from major destruction by the intervention of the U.S Assistant Secretary of War John J. McCloy knew about the historic importance and beauty of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, so he ordered US Army General Jacob L. Devers not use artillery in taking the town.

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Escaladieu Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2010Sat 08-Dec-12 01:34 AM
699 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 1

Artiguemy, FR

>Very nice picture. Just a slight correction - Rothenburg was
>all but destroyed during WW2. The "old" city walls
>date from around 1960...

Yup, I've been there, its been rebuilt, as I remember there's a plaque which cites American aid in the rebuild.

Personal Blog
http://www.blog-jeff-holdgate.co.uk

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 04:18 PM
2268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Love this sort of architecture - great shot.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Tue 04-Dec-12 04:39 PM
#4. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 2

Camberley, GB

Thanks a lot David. The town is beautiful although, of course, very touristy.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Wed 05-Dec-12 06:57 AM
2529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 4

Vantaa, FI

Nice photo. If you like beautiful scenes better without too many tourists, you can be grateful for the rainy day.

Best regads, Antero

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Fri 07-Dec-12 10:52 AM
#10. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 6

Camberley, GB

Thanks Antero. You're right, there are pluses and minuses when it is raining.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Wed 05-Dec-12 01:10 AM
1784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Thanks for the memory Derek. It reminds me of Soest, Germany, where I spent 3 years as a kid. My father was in the Canadian army and we lived in a PMQ near Soest. We spent many an hour walking the walls there.
Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 12:00 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

Nice one Derek,

Really like the tone and color here...and looks like the typical Winter day I remember from living in Germany for 2 years in the mid seventies. Really enjoyed scenery like this. As far as I'm concerned, rainy days are perfect for work like this. Nice soft light on all of that stone looks great. Good color saturation etc.

Peter

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 06-Dec-12 04:10 PM
4687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Fine image and a fine history lesson!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Thu 06-Dec-12 08:23 PM
4994 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Hi Derek!

This time, it's just "I love it", no restrictions!

But of course I always need more: do you have a BW version somewhere in a drawer? I've always been a fan of BW for old places such as that...

Thanks for sharing this one!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Fri 07-Dec-12 11:01 AM
#11. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 9

Camberley, GB

Thanks a lot CK, Peter, jd and Olivier. It seems that a few of you have lived for a while in Germany - US military?
Rothenburg is a fascinating town with beautiful scenes all over the place. The problem is usually getting a clear(ish) view of them.

Olivier, I Hadn't done a B&W but I have now, especially for you
I don't know what you think, but... ?
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Fri 07-Dec-12 11:41 AM
4994 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 11

CH

Looking at it on a crappy monitor just now, but seems appetizing!

And just for me? wow!

Olivier Rychner

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 07-Dec-12 11:54 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 11

Traverse City, US

Really looks great in black and white-- and yup.. I was stationed in Zweibrucken and Wiesbaden with the Air Force. Saw lots of these in those 2 years (1975-1977). What software do you use for b&w conversion Derek? Does a nice job...

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Fri 07-Dec-12 12:29 PM
#14. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 13

Camberley, GB

Thanks Olivier and Peter.

Peter, the B&W conversion method I use is known as the Gorman/Holbert method. I've been using it for a number of years and have kind of got used to it. Details on how to do it are here...
http://www.gormanphotography.com/Duotone.pdf

I have created/recorded it as an "ACTION" which I run in CS3. I don't know for sure but suspect it would work fine with later CS versions.

Since I started using it I know many progrms/add-ons have become available, but I've stuck with what I know... at one time I was doing quite a lot of B&W work. I kind of feel more involved in the process this way.

If you are interested in having a copy of the "ACTION" feel free to PM/email me and I'll send it to you.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Fri 07-Dec-12 07:33 PM
#15. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 14

CH

Hi!Me again...

Derek, I have had a look at it on my calibrated monitor, and while I like the overall conversion, I now have a precise something to find nits about...

I have pointed at zones which seem to show a gradient which did not disturb me to the same extent in the colour version. Did you use a gradient filter in the digital developing process? It seems to have over-reacted to your BW conversion, because the tower closest to us is not affected the same way as those in the further background.

Cheers,

Olivier (no, I'm not after a Nemesis role, actually! )

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Fri 07-Dec-12 08:01 PM
#16. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 15
Fri 07-Dec-12 08:03 PM by MasterDabber

Camberley, GB

Well, tbh, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to Olivier.

However, the B&W was simply the original, resized colour image (posted at the top of this thread) put through the Gorma/Holbert process. I was lazy and never went back to the original raw image. And no, I haven't used any gradient in the course of this.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Sat 08-Dec-12 01:58 PM
#18. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 16

CH

Well, sorry for being confuse and confusing: I see a gradient going from black at the top, or nearly black, to the "normal" colour/scale of grey of the towers I have circled.

I looks as though there had been a selection/treatment with a gradient mask, hence my interrogation.

Olivier Rychner

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 08-Dec-12 02:23 PM
#19. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 18
Sat 08-Dec-12 02:54 PM by MasterDabber

Camberley, GB

Thanks for clarifying Olivier. I have to confess I still can't see what you are seeing but either way, I can confirm that I haven't applied a gradient in either the original colour image or the B&W quickie conversion. So, I'm not sure what is giving the effect you are seeing.

Let me confirm what I remember of the processing I did...

raw >> ACR >> tiff >> Oloneo HDRengine (single image) >> tiff >> CS3.
Then a bit of Curves, Colour Balance and Sharpening. No Layer Masks at all as far as I can remember (never saved the psd).

For the B&W conversion I just ran the resulting resized jpg through the Gorman/Holbert Action. Tweaked the Curves Layer and that's about it. There, all my "secrets".

An interesting little discussion. Cheers Olivier,

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 08-Dec-12 02:48 PM
4687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 19
Sat 08-Dec-12 02:49 PM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

Interesting discussion where I have learned more about what gradients are.. However, Olivier, help me, as a researching observer of this discussion, to see what it is you see, since I am not seeing. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Mon 10-Dec-12 02:23 PM
#21. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 20

CH

Sorry I'm late, forgot to subscribe! And sorry Derek if I bring it back to the top of the pile! As you'll see near the bottom of this post, I may after all well be the only culprit!

As I have written in my two posts above, to me, on different monitors, I see a gradient of tones/colors in the towers of the further parts of the city wall.

My questions to Derek were to know if he had at some point used a gradient filter/layer to treat the sky, which could have been the case. Had it been the case, a "cure" would have been to locally brush the towers black in a mask, to remove the gradient effect from them.

Now we know what he did, and there was no gradient filter or layer or mask applied. I gladly accept that, but I'm left puzzled at what may have caused that, which I can't attribute to my eyes or my main monitor - except of course if I'm the only one seeing the distant towers going from black at the top to levels of gray - the effect is to me more visible in the BW version.

Hope that clarifies my point furthermore!

Olivier Rychner

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Mon 10-Dec-12 02:43 PM
#22. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 21

Camberley, GB

OK Olivier. I now understand what you are referring to,

Let's take the colour version first. To my eyes the effect isn't really visible. The very top of the towers are of a different material to the walls of the towers and would therefore look darker anyway.
One thought, however, I applied sharpening to the resized colour version before saving. I added a Layer Mask to the Sharpening Layers and painted in around the horizon to remove any possible halo'ing. This may have some effect, although why only really in the B&W I've no idea.

It's interesting that you've called this out. Is it distracting or spoiling the image for you. I'm not saying this defensively but just out of interest.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 10-Dec-12 03:04 PM
#23. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 21
Mon 10-Dec-12 04:49 PM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

Olivier, thank you for explaining what you saw. You have a discerning eye. I never noticed that difference...perhaps a bit subtle for me, but I understand now. For me it is not a distraction but certainly a new awareness even now that I know the tonal variation at the towers. Nonetheless an interesting study topic and one I will be paying attention to, I hope. Since I only use CS5 a little, these are learning points. LR4.2 is my primary processing tool. Again, thanks.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Wed 12-Dec-12 12:13 PM
4219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Nice picture on a dreary day.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Wed 12-Dec-12 02:58 PM
#25. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 24

Camberley, GB

Thanks for commenting Larry. Glad you like it.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Wed 12-Dec-12 03:09 PM
#26. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 25

Camberley, GB

Just a follow up regarding the damage to the town during WWII.

I wrote the the town officials and received the following comments and photos from the Stadtbaumeister.

"your understanding is correct.

A particular section on the east side (about 750 meters) of the old town was destroyed by the attack of the American airforce in 1945.

But the destruction of the wall was not so strong as you can see on the two fotos."

Some parts are totally reconstructed.

All of the 3 images are oriented in approximately the same direction.
The first image is looking towards the northeast.
The map (3rd image)is from a different source.
Approximately 40/45% of the town was damaged.

The funding of the repairs/reconstruction has come from many sources but the plaques around the walls are recognising the individuals and companies from around the world who have made contributions.

I thought this may be interest.

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Hans Ztz Silver Member Awarded for his outstandig Landscape Images. Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2009Tue 18-Dec-12 05:14 AM
1093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 0

Regensburg, DE

very impressive shots .... love this town
Ciao - Hans (Bavaria/Germany)

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Tue 18-Dec-12 03:38 PM
#28. "RE: Rothenburg town walls"
In response to Reply # 27

Camberley, GB

Thanks Hans. Yes, it's a lovely town (we've been there 5 times) and not too far from you in Regensburg I think.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70307 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.