Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70217
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ehrenbreitstein Fortress" Previous topic | Next topic
MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 01-Dec-12 06:20 PM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"

Camberley, GB

The giant Ehrenbreitstein Fortress is situated opposite Deutsches Eck where the River Moselle joins the River Rhine. Giant barges constantly journey up and down the river.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress
olivierrychner Gold Member
01st Dec 2012
MasterDabber Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
olivierrychner Gold Member
03rd Dec 2012
03rd Dec 2012
wjlorimer
02nd Dec 2012
03rd Dec 2012
dagoldst Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
mjhach Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
af4nc Gold Member
03rd Dec 2012
03rd Dec 2012

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Sat 01-Dec-12 09:32 PM
4952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Shall I call you Childe Harold, now?

Nice place, but I must confess to some degree of puzzlement at your treatment. The overall impression is of a modern image that you tried to make look older, while the sky has become grainy and the limits of the masking you applied to treat it are visible in some parts. And now the houses on the waterfront look too white, too clear...

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sun 02-Dec-12 07:58 AM
3257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"
In response to Reply # 1

Camberley, GB

Hi Olivier. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Sorry you don't like the treatment I gave it.

You say this is a modern image. I guess that depends on how you view the overall scene or what for me is the main subject... the fortress. I don't view that as modern as it was built between 1817 and 1828 in its present-day design and its origin dates back to the first century AD.

To be honest the intent wasn't to try and age the scene but to try and get something out of an image taken on a day when the sky was grey, cold and lightly raining. Out of camera the image was totally flat and no detail was visible. I thought it was worth trying to see what I could recover and pull out some detail and definition. Clearly I never achieved that (or if I did it was at the expense of other things). In fact I never used any masking on the sky, the only masking I did was on the river in the foreground where I wasn't happy with the colour.

Sorry if that sounds a bit defensive Olivier and I assure you I do appreciate your comments.

btw, I've never read Childe Harold so I've just downloaded it for my Kindle

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Mon 03-Dec-12 12:32 PM
4952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"
In response to Reply # 2

CH

Hi again!

Now that my students are taking my latest nasty history test, I can't but come back to your image and add one or two points!

I think I have found what is the main problem to me: the barge! I looked again at the image after scrolling the river part out, and everything felt right, up to and including the treatment that I found so grainy when I first posted.

Also, when I wrote "an old image", I was not referring to the fortress, but to the photograph itself. And I think that it's simply the barge that feels out of place, it's too modern an element for the look of the photo in its present state - which I perfectly understand given the visibly poor light condition, I assure you!

So I think that with a bit more grain altogether, and in a perfect world without the barge (you've got no control on that), and finally with a less visible gradient on the top building of the fortress, I'd just love the image

I hope this clarifies!

Cheerio,

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Mon 03-Dec-12 01:47 PM
#8. "RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"
In response to Reply # 7

Camberley, GB

Oh dear Olivier. I'm going to disappoint you again

The barge that is causing you the problem is actually there quite deliberately. I do have other images of the fortress from a broadly similar position which don't include any barges.
However, I included it as I thought it was typical of the River Rhine with these great (by UK standards) barges constantly sailing up and down.

Anyway, thanks again Olivier. It's always good to get yur opinion and your points are ones I'll bear in mind in the future.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

wjlorimer Awarded for his published contributions to the Resources Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Registered since 11th Mar 2003Sun 02-Dec-12 03:57 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"
In response to Reply # 0

Greymouth, NZ

Hi Derek. Great image - definitely suits the pano style crop.

Before scrolling down to Olivier's comments I was going to say that I really liked the treatment you gave this image. I think the 'grittiness' (for want of a better word) gives it a filmic quality that suits the subject. And I like how it also creates a juxtaposition between the old (fortress) and the new(er) town below.

Would I have processed the image that way? Maybe not. But I like that you have because it shows me your way of seeing this image.

All of Olivier's points are, though, very valid

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Mon 03-Dec-12 01:54 PM
#9. "RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"
In response to Reply # 3

Camberley, GB

>Hi Derek. Great image - definitely suits the pano style
>crop.
>
>Before scrolling down to Olivier's comments I was going to say
>that I really liked the treatment you gave this image. I think
>the 'grittiness' (for want of a better word) gives it a
>filmic quality that suits the subject. And I like how it also
>creates a juxtaposition between the old (fortress) and the
>new(er) town below.
>
>Would I have processed the image that way? Maybe not. But I
>like that you have because it shows me your way of seeing this
>image.
>
>All of Olivier's points are, though, very valid
Thanks wj. I've "known" Olivier via Nikonians for a number of years and and I know from experience that he his input is always worth receiving.

Thanks for your comments. It's true that I do have my own opinions on how I like to process an image. This doesn't mean that my opinion is right, but just the way I see things. How I processed this image is almost certainly very different to how I would have done if the sky was blue, fluffy clouds and good light.

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 05:27 PM
2165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Very cool shot Derek and hello!

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 03-Dec-12 01:18 AM
495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"
In response to Reply # 0

Simcoe, CA

I think it looks great just the way you've done it. You can't please all of the people all of the time, as long as you please yourself, most of the time!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Mon 03-Dec-12 12:29 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Very nice

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Mon 03-Dec-12 01:57 PM
#10. "RE: Ehrenbreitstein Fortress"
In response to Reply # 6

Camberley, GB

David, Michael, Tom. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm glad you liked it.

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70217 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.