Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70173
View in linear mode

Subject: "Open Range Rail " Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 29-Nov-12 11:00 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Open Range Rail "

Traverse City, US

Driving back to Orem from Ureka last weekend I found a dry riverbed leading into an old rail trestle in the open range. Lots going on here but that's typical of the landscape in this part of the state. The rail ended just before the road to the left and to the right, desert plants were growing thru the ties.

D800E Nikon 24-120 F4

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Open Range Rail
coolmom42 Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
psf914
30th Nov 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
30th Nov 2012
psf914
30th Nov 2012
DaddySS Gold Member
01st Dec 2012
psf914
01st Dec 2012
slothead Gold Member
01st Dec 2012
psf914
03rd Dec 2012
jb335 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
psf914
03rd Dec 2012
dagoldst Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
psf914
03rd Dec 2012
MasterDabber Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
psf914
03rd Dec 2012
MasterDabber Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
psf914
05th Dec 2012
cchoc Moderator
07th Dec 2012
psf914
08th Dec 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
08th Dec 2012
psf914
08th Dec 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
08th Dec 2012
psf914
10th Dec 2012
mnbuilder49 Moderator
12th Dec 2012
psf914
13th Dec 2012
landism
16th Dec 2012
psf914
16th Dec 2012
BSchirm Gold Member
16th Dec 2012
psf914
18th Dec 2012

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Fri 30-Nov-12 12:05 AM
3008 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Excellent! Great composition, and I love the contrast between the earth tones and the blue mountains & sky.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 30-Nov-12 11:20 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Diane

You can still find green grass around here despite the fact we're almost into December at this point. A couple more weeks and I'm sure that will change. Interested to see what Winter in Utah brings.

Peter

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Fri 30-Nov-12 02:30 AM
1948 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

Yeah, what she said. Great shot.

Scottie

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 30-Nov-12 11:22 PM
#4. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 2

Traverse City, US

Thanks Scottie

Lots more to see here in the coming months. I spent the last two years on projects in California and really enjoyed the scenery there. Utah has kicked it up a notch or two

Peter

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Sat 01-Dec-12 01:38 AM
822 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

Relly nice, love the composition and the contrast between the gray and blue.

Richard

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sat 01-Dec-12 11:23 AM
#6. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 5

Traverse City, US

Thanks Richard

There are hundreds of miles of BLM land out here and roads that run off into the middle of nowhere. I've been on a bunch now and driven around for hours without seeing or hearing another human being. Scenes like this just pop up in front of you as you come around a curve sometimes so getting out onto the dirt two tracks is a real adventure. Lots more to see south of here towards Bryce Canyon.

cheers
Peter

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sat 01-Dec-12 01:55 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

I really like this. Some of it (if not all) seems almost mystical. I especially like the foreground, and of course the mts make a wonderful backdrop. Well done.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 03-Dec-12 12:42 PM
#10. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 7

Traverse City, US

Thanks Tom

This region is a goldmine for lanscape photographers. And now that we're into winter weather the light is so much better. Looking forward to other expeditions south of here in the coming months.

Peter

jb335 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2011Sun 02-Dec-12 09:13 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Very captivating image. As Tom said it does seem to have a mystical quality.

It almost feels like one is looking at a magnificent diorama.

Jim

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 03-Dec-12 12:45 PM
#11. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 8

Traverse City, US

Thanks Jim

I can't remember how many times I've stopped my car just to get out and look at the scenery while I've been out shooting on weekends. It seems never ending. I've had several people who've traveled thru here for various reasons tell me it was one of the most beautiful places they've been in the country. A lot of the back roads that were open this fall have been closed for winter. But come spring when the wild flowers start to bloom I'll be back out there. In the meantime I'm making use of the open range southwest of here and planning some trips further south towards the National Parks.

Peter

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 10:24 PM
2111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Terrific image - I am curious about what post processing you did on this vs what came out of your D800.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 03-Dec-12 12:49 PM
#12. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 9

Traverse City, US

Thanks David,

I shoot everything with the D800E in neutal unlike my D300 and D300S which I have set to vivid for color. The D800E seemed oversaturated at that setting. So I usually add a bit of contrast, color saturation and after resizing for the web, some sharpening. In the case of this photo I used content aware in CS6 to remove a couple power poles on the hillsides in the background. That's about it. Really like the content aware patch and move options in CS6. Work like a charm for things like that.

Peter

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Mon 03-Dec-12 01:38 PM
3250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 12

Camberley, GB

An interesting mix of snow covered peaks in the background and desert scrub in the foreground... and bridging the gap (excuse the pun)... the bridge. Nice one.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 03-Dec-12 11:34 PM
#14. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 13

Traverse City, US

Thanks Derek

I love to see what this looks like come Spring. I'm sure there won't be a dry river bed with all the snow melt. Might make an interesting contrast to get back there and compare seasons.

cheers
Peter

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Tue 04-Dec-12 07:00 AM
3250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 14

Camberley, GB

That's a good idea Peter.It would be fascinating to see the change once the ice melts. Looking at the current dryness it's hard to imagine it flowing with water.
If you do get a chance to reshoot the scene please post both images - now and then.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Tue 04-Dec-12 08:05 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Very very nice lighting, contrast, color and composition.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 11:52 AM
#17. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 16

Traverse City, US

Thanks Victor

We're getting lots of great light to work with this time of year. Winter storms blow in and give the place an almost surreal feeling. Everything will be shaded by clouds at times and then the sun will light up just the tops of the highest peaks and the entire atmosphere changes. And the soft cloud produced light gives me the entire day to shoot. Really love this place.

Peter

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberFri 07-Dec-12 04:46 PM
4538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#18. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

Excellent shot Peter. I really like the way the streambed leads the eye into the fra,me.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sat 08-Dec-12 03:48 AM
#19. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 18

Traverse City, US

Thanks Charlie

Should be interesting to see in the spring if they get good snow this winter. The dry river beds in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada turned into raging rivers in the Spring. I'm sure the landscape here will see some dramatic changes as well.

Peter

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 08-Dec-12 04:18 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Nice find Peter. I like the light hitting the old wood of the truss.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sat 08-Dec-12 04:22 PM
#21. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 20

Traverse City, US

Thanks Dean

You drive around the back roads in this part of the state and you find things like this all over the place. Old mining facilities, ghost towns etc. Always something new around the corner to discover.

Peter

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 08-Dec-12 10:51 PM
1871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Wonderful lighting and composition. I like it!

Tom

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 10-Dec-12 12:26 PM
#23. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 22

Traverse City, US

Thanks Tom

We're getting lots of great light this time of year with storms blowing thru. So often I'm seeing just the tops of the higher mountains touched by sunlight with everything else under the shadow of clouds. Makes for some great contrast. I'm finding the D800E handles this better than any camera I've had. Looking forward to some challenges of winter weather in the coming months.

Peter

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Wed 12-Dec-12 12:18 PM
3805 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Beautiful shot.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 13-Dec-12 12:53 PM
#25. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 24

Traverse City, US

Thanks Larry

Lots of places like this to see out here. I want to get south towards Zion and Bryce in a couple weeks.

cheers
Peter

landism Registered since 22nd Oct 2011Sun 16-Dec-12 11:02 AM
476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

CA

very nice!!

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 16-Dec-12 10:29 PM
#27. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 26

Traverse City, US

Thanks Mark

Winter weather has set in full time now so lots of dramatic light coming our way over the next few months. Lots more to see around here.

Peter

BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Dec 2005Sun 16-Dec-12 11:45 PM
2592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 0

Rolling Hills, US

Love the composition Peter....it just draws you in.

Barry

Nikonians Gallery

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 18-Dec-12 06:46 AM
#29. "RE: Open Range Rail "
In response to Reply # 28

Traverse City, US

Thanks Barry

I walked this entire spot for half an hour, climbed up on the rails and shot from below and above and after reviewing all my shots decided on the first angle.

cheers
Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70173 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.