Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70161
View in linear mode

Subject: "Winter comes to Wales" Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 29-Nov-12 02:18 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Winter comes to Wales"

Dyserth, GB

Taken today and after the terrible floods two days ago here in North Wales, the rain turned to snow on higher ground as a first real taste of winter.

Both Images taken in the Snowdonia National Park. The first looking towards Mount Snowdon from Capel Curig, the second of Llyn Ogwen(Llyn = Welsh for Lake). The furthest right of the 3 snow covered peaks is Snowdon which was used by Edmund Hillary in training for the 1953 ascent of Mount Everest. (Sorry about the history lesson)

Richard

D800 - 24-70mm f2.8. 1/400 f8 ISO100. -2 EV.

D800 - 24-70mm f2.8. 1/200 f8 ISO100. -1.3 EV.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Winter comes to Wales
wjlorimer
29th Nov 2012
richardd300 Silver Member
29th Nov 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
richardd300 Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
dagoldst Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012

wjlorimer Awarded for his published contributions to the Resources Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Registered since 11th Mar 2003Thu 29-Nov-12 05:57 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Winter comes to Wales"
In response to Reply # 0

Greymouth, NZ

Thanks for posting Richard (and for the history lesson ) As a New Zealander I should have known that !

I love the first image - colours are wonderful, and it makes me want to be there. My family is originally from Wales (on my mothers side), so who knows, I might make it there myself one day?

If I was to make a suggestion for the second shot (if I may) - I'd clone or crop out the mound on the extreme left hand side corner. My eye goes straight to it, rather than on those majestic mountains!

Beautiful images of a beautiful place.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 29-Nov-12 08:22 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Winter comes to Wales"
In response to Reply # 1

Dyserth, GB

Thanks for the comments and yes, of course you are correct. Job done

We have friends and relations who are ex pats from Wales and those who come here say it is a small area, beautifully formed.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Fri 30-Nov-12 03:45 PM
2493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Winter comes to Wales"
In response to Reply # 2

Vantaa, FI

Beautiful scenery. I'm in London until tomorrow. Fortunately the monsoon rains have cleared by now.

While the mound in #2 is a potential distraction because it is the element with the clearest detail, it adds depth to the scene. Perhaps a small mound like that isn't worth saving if the bottom of the photo is otherwise empty. In some cases I keep the foreground but blur and/or darken it slightly to emphasize some other features in the photo.

Regards, Antero

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 30-Nov-12 03:59 PM
#4. "RE: Winter comes to Wales"
In response to Reply # 3

Dyserth, GB

Thanks Antero.

For the first time in 50 years of photography I've joined a photographic society/club. I am always learning and your comment is helpful as I now enter the monthly competitions.

You'll be glad to leave London tomorrow as it's one of the busiest days of the year and the first December Saturday before Christmas.

Richard

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 10:22 PM
1957 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Winter comes to Wales"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Nice composition and a terrific looking image.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #70161 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.