Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69867
View in linear mode

Subject: "Remains of the Harvest" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 18-Nov-12 11:34 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Remains of the Harvest"

Traverse City, US

Found this corn field near Springville, Utah this morning while I was chasing clouds around the region following several days of ran and snow here. The farmer had rolled the remains into bales, I assume to use as feed at some point. No matter where you point a camera in this part of the country you find mountains in the background. Also, fields like this and others filled with sheep, horses, llamas etc. are mixed in with residential areas throughout the area.

Nikon D800E Nikon 24-120 f4 ISO 100 1/250 at f8

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Remains of the Harvest
Asgard Administrator
19th Nov 2012
psf914
20th Nov 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
psf914
21st Nov 2012
Asgard Administrator
20th Nov 2012
SheriB Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
Ineluki Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
psf914
21st Nov 2012
psf914
21st Nov 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
21st Nov 2012
psf914
22nd Nov 2012
landism
22nd Nov 2012

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 19-Nov-12 10:40 PM
48462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Nice image

I like it.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 12:23 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Gerold

I've attached another shot of the same field later in the day as the storm blew in over the mountain range. This is looking mostly North. The weather can change quickly here this time of year and create some real challenges with lighting conditions. But lots of great drama as well.

cheers
Peter

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 20-Nov-12 09:14 AM
2488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 2

Vantaa, FI

I like #2 very much. Why? I can’t find a clear message or point of interest in #1 but in #2 there are several, namely:
- the contrast between the level(ed) field and the rugged mountains;
- the contrast between the ordered bales and the random forces of nature; and
- the farmer’s urge to get the hay in before the storm.

Regards, Antero

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 21-Nov-12 10:10 AM
#7. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 3

Traverse City, US

Thanks Antero,

The mountains add a great backdrop and contrast to most of the scenery around here especially during and after a storm. Looking forward to exploring this region of the country this winter.

Peter

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 20-Nov-12 06:48 PM
48462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 2

East Frisia, DE

Also a very nice Image

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Tue 20-Nov-12 10:42 AM
1461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I like both images.The fence and open gate just lead me into the field.Although I would probably try a hard crop on the right to try and remove the houses and those two bales.And yes the farmers do feed corn fodder to cattle. I have been told it is pretty high in protein.And gives them lots of chew time
Hope you do not mind,I did a crop to show you what I was thinking.I took off some of the sky, but that could be left too.
And It would make a killer B&W ...

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Tue 20-Nov-12 02:51 PM
2427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 4

Nürnberg, DE

I like both pictures.

Regards
Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 21-Nov-12 10:16 AM
#8. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 4

Traverse City, US

Hey Sheri

I shot this both ways... tight like this crop and even wider to include more of the fence line on the left side of the frame. The idea was as you said to lead the viewer into the field thru the gate. I like the tighter crop but the gate is so predominant in the shot I think it works both ways. Thanks for the taking the time to evaluate and for the input.

Peter

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 21-Nov-12 10:16 AM
#9. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 21-Nov-12 10:19 AM by psf914

Traverse City, US

Thanks Egbert

There were several places along the edge of this field for good angles. And the light changed throughout the day. Could have added 3 or 4 more shots to the series with so much to look at here.

Peter

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 11:54 AM
1791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

I like them both, Peter. I also like Sheri' crop of the right side of the frame but I would leave the sky. It's like the icing on a very nice cake.

Scottie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 22-Nov-12 01:02 AM
#11. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 10

Traverse City, US

Thanks Scottie,

Yea... the skies this time of year with storms coming in across the mountain range add a really nice element to the landscapes.

Peter

landism Registered since 22nd Oct 2011Thu 22-Nov-12 10:20 AM
470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Remains of the Harvest"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

nice!!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69867 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.