Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69862
View in linear mode

Subject: "Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way" Previous topic | Next topic
spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Sun 18-Nov-12 03:29 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"

Western PA, US

Well, it wasn't much of a shower - more like a trickle. But it was amazing standing under the bright Milky Way. I did manage to capture a faint one. I saw about 15-20 total over the course of three hours.

This was taken at Cherry Springs State Park in Pennsylvania - one of only two dark sky parks in the U.S.

A have a larger version on my website here:

http://www.danielstainer.com/Galleries/New-Additions/3404935_68ztxd

D3s, 24mm @ F/1.4, ISO 1600, 20s

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way
Antero52 Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
spiritualized67 Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
SheriB Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
18th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
19th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
19th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012
Bump57 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2012
25th Nov 2012
jjmirenzi Gold Member
23rd Nov 2012
25th Nov 2012

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sun 18-Nov-12 03:54 PM
2522 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 18-Nov-12 03:55 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

Wonderful. FWIW, we saw a very active perseides shower in August. We saw about one or two meteors per minute. Too bad I couldn't take pictures as we were watching it from our boat. Had I gone ashore, the sky would have been blocked by trees.

Regards, Antero

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 12:24 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 1

Western PA, US

Thank you, Antero.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sun 18-Nov-12 04:34 PM
1725 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well, that is a view so many people will never get to see in person in their lifetime.

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sun 18-Nov-12 11:34 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 18-Nov-12 11:36 PM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

Well done, Dan. I like the vertical composition. I've been doing some time lapse work and I'm always setting up my compositions with video 16 : 9 ratio in mind. The meteor is fairly typical in size considering the 24mm lens field of view.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 12:26 PM
#6. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 3

Western PA, US

Appreciate it Dean!

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 12:26 PM
#5. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 2

Western PA, US

It was a striking sight for sure (more the Milky Way than the actual meteor shower). Thanks for commenting Sheri!

-Dan

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 19-Nov-12 01:32 PM
4595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Really nice.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 05:29 PM
#8. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 7

Western PA, US

Thanks for looking, John.

~Dan

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Mon 19-Nov-12 06:40 PM
1955 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

Beautiful image, Dan. How many shots did you take that night?

Scottie

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 08:57 PM
#10. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 9

Western PA, US

Thank you, Scottie.

I shot about 75 the whole night. Although my D3s has an Intervalometer, I felt more comfortable using my cable remote.

I basically aimed the camera in the direction where most of the activity was occurring and continued shooting 20 second exposures.

I did have shots facing in other directions (including sky-only shots), but most didn't have the tree line in the foreground - and this was the only shot where I actually was able to capture a meteor.

~Dan

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Fri 23-Nov-12 04:09 AM
6546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Wonderful image Dan. I hope to see the Milky way like this some day you have captured it nicely. I went to look at the larger version on your site then got side tracked on to your blog, I spent a few hours there reading. Very impressive blog I really enjoyed it. I very much enjoyed and related to "The Ugly Truth About Photography". I could not have said it better, everything in there was so true. Looking forward to going back for more when time permits.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Sun 25-Nov-12 05:40 PM
#13. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 11

Western PA, US

Thanks for taking the time to read it Scott. Your comments are appreciated!

~Dan

jjmirenzi Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 02:55 PM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 23-Nov-12 02:58 PM by jjmirenzi

Dupont, US

Great Shot. I live in NE PA and we get some dark nights where I live.
My oldest daughter was born on aug 12 at the height of the perseid shower. Before she moved away we watched them together on her birthday when the sky were clear. The best shower however was the one in December (or Feb.) around 10 years ago at around 3am. We say meteor fireworks that day. It seemed the were coming from every direction in in the NE sky.

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Sun 25-Nov-12 05:41 PM
#14. "RE: Leonid Meteor Shower & Milky Way"
In response to Reply # 12

Western PA, US

Thanks, Joseph.

~Dan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69862 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.