Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69812
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ruby Falls" Previous topic | Next topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 15-Nov-12 10:43 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ruby Falls"

Knoxville, US

A famous underground waterfall in Tennessee. I went there this past weekend for the first time and only took my Nikon V1 with me. This is handheld! Sometimes the technology of today is amazing. V1, 10-30 @ 10, ISO 1600, f/11, 1/5".

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ruby Falls
coolmom42 Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
Asgard Administrator
17th Nov 2012
psf914
24th Nov 2012
skiroc Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
25th Nov 2012
nwcs Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
25th Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
25th Nov 2012
umdaman1 Gold Member
25th Nov 2012
nwcs Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
DAJolley Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
nwcs Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
thatone2 Silver Member
27th Nov 2012

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sat 17-Nov-12 04:25 AM
2986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

WOW!

That is a huge upgrade over the usual tourist shot!

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 17-Nov-12 09:34 PM
50322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Great shot

Well done.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sat 24-Nov-12 12:06 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

cool shot Neil

How do you get into the location you were to shoot this? It looks like a giant shaft of liquid light pouring down from the heavens. Gotta be a great place to just stand and listen to the water.

Peter

skiroc Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sat 24-Nov-12 11:52 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 24-Nov-12 11:55 PM by skiroc

Redlands, US

oh yea! great shot. Is that the natural color, or is it a b&w image?

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sun 25-Nov-12 10:22 PM
1929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 3

Lexington, US

Peter, I've actually been to Ruby Falls a few times. It is a Chattanooga area attraction that offers guided tours. The falls is the mid point of the tour. You're lead down lighted passageways into a dark chamber(absolutely no light) and you can hear and feel the falls. Then the lights are turned on to reveal falls. As you can see from this shot, it is quite a sight. You're allowed to take pictures for a few minutes and then lead back to the surface.

Scottie

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 27-Nov-12 12:05 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

It's at Ruby Falls in Chattanooga. It's a very accessible cave system that they've turned into a tourist area. This is the most notable feature. They have music playing in the background and light the falls in different colors. Kind of a movie dramatic thing.

But I liked it in B&W so I converted it using onOne Perfect BW as a first time test of that product. I like it. It's different from Silver Efex Pro so it will take some time to figure out.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sun 25-Nov-12 02:32 PM
2500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Awesome place. Great result with ISO1600 and 1/5s hand-held!

Regards, Antero

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 25-Nov-12 04:06 PM
4492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Great!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Sun 25-Nov-12 10:25 PM
1929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

Wow, handheld? That's a great shot, Neil. I love Ruby Falls but never imagined it in B&W.

Scottie

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 27-Nov-12 12:08 PM
#10. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 8

Knoxville, US

I kinda fell into it. When I first saw it in all those colors I tried balancing out the colors and I got a natural looking effect but it just lacked something. So I remembered an old joke: if something doesn't look great in color try black and white!

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Tue 27-Nov-12 12:27 PM
1146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Great shot. Do they allow tripods?
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 27-Nov-12 03:54 PM
#12. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 11

Knoxville, US

I doubt it. I don't recall any sign but you wouldn't want to have a tripod given the guided tour and cramped quarters in spots. A monopod maybe.

thatone2 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2012Tue 27-Nov-12 08:30 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Ruby Falls"
In response to Reply # 11

US

They do allow tripods, but they do try to keep you moving. It is difficult to use a tripod on the trip there. Once in there they allow you like 5 minutes so you can use it then. I used a tripod the last time I was there. It has been a couple of years. They just did not want to stop on the way to or from the falls.

Travis

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69812 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.