Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69791
View in linear mode

Subject: "Caribbean Sunrise" Previous topic | Next topic
2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Wed 14-Nov-12 09:58 PM
888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Caribbean Sunrise"

Anchorage, US

A rival cruise ship is shown with the morning sun. Yeah, it would have been nice if they were closer together or the ship was more oblique but the Captain of our boat wasn't up for suggestions.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Caribbean Sunrise
Rassie Silver Member
15th Nov 2012
slothead Gold Member
16th Nov 2012
AartPapaya Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
AartPapaya Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
16th Nov 2012
2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
18th Nov 2012
AartPapaya Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
Spddmon Silver Member
22nd Nov 2012

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 15-Nov-12 10:47 PM
3035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Caribbean Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 15-Nov-12 10:48 PM by Rassie

Milton, CA

A nice sunrise with beautiful clouds. Even though it's small, the cruise ship does provide some balance to the picture.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Fri 16-Nov-12 02:44 AM
1585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Caribbean Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

I like it, but would make one minor change. I would crop out the top edge and its layer of dark, nondescript clouds. Everything else is great. Carnival Cruise Line might even like it for an advertising photo.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Fri 16-Nov-12 06:35 AM
2821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Caribbean Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 16-Nov-12 06:37 AM by AartPapaya

Hectorspruit, ZA

Not so easy to blend

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Fri 16-Nov-12 06:09 AM
2821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Caribbean Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

Great shot. I agree with Tom regarding the cropping.
I am not sure if the way I do it is the most elegant. I will make two crops and than combine them into a new layer?

Aart

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 16-Nov-12 02:20 PM
4769 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Caribbean Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Agreed about the cropping..nice capture!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Sun 18-Nov-12 07:42 PM
888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Caribbean Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Anchorage, US

While I appreciate the suggestions on cropping the image to suit personal tastes, I do not recall anyone asking for or receiving permission to download my image, alter it, and then upload the altered version to the site.

In the over 9 years I have been a member of Nikonians, I would never alter another's work unless specifically asked to do so.

Please remove any locally stored copies of my work from your computer.

Thank you

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Mon 19-Nov-12 07:11 PM
#7. "RE: Caribbean Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 6

Hectorspruit, ZA

Mike,
I sincerely apologize. You may call this naive stupidity from my side.
I meant no harm to anybody.

Aart

Spddmon Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2008Thu 22-Nov-12 02:42 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Caribbean Sunrise"
In response to Reply # 0

Long Island, US

It is a nice image.
I don't post a lot here, but I must say though, I am a little surprised about your reaction to Aart's modifications to your picture. I've been on this forum for a few years also, and I've seen this behavior all the time, where people suggest and indeed do make the changes they suggest to any posted image!
Unless there are some new rules I am not aware of, I thought this is just how it is here and is 100% acceptable. I am sure no one here claims the rights to images other than their own. People just try to be helpful.
Anyone, correct me if I am wrong.

My Nikonians Gallery

Majd

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69791 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.