Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69734
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sunset over eastern Venice, Italy" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 12-Nov-12 12:46 AM
1544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sunset over eastern Venice, Italy"

Frederick, US

September 22, 2012 about 7:30 in the evening as we were leaving Venice.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sunset over eastern Venice, Italy
Antero52 Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
Reilly M
12th Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
12th Nov 2012
olivierrychner Gold Member
13th Nov 2012
slothead Gold Member
13th Nov 2012
Escaladieu Silver Member
16th Nov 2012

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Mon 12-Nov-12 11:04 AM
2495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sunset over eastern Venice, Italy"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

The viewpoint and the overall mood are very nice. But what distracts me is the lack of true detail and the exaggerated noise in the sky. Is this a HDR-processed shot from a single-shot? If yes, then a stronger Highlight Smoothing (if Photomatix) or Radius (if Photoshop) might reduce the noise/grain in the sky.

Regards, Antero

Reilly M Registered since 26th Jul 2008Mon 12-Nov-12 07:41 PM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sunset over eastern Venice, Italy"
In response to Reply # 0

Monrovia, US

Nice!

I don't mind the noise - it sort of gives it a painted look.

yours,
Reilly

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

The only stupid question is the one you should have asked....

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 12-Nov-12 10:51 PM
4470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sunset over eastern Venice, Italy"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Works for me. Lovely composition.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Tue 13-Nov-12 07:44 AM
4927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sunset over eastern Venice, Italy"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

I tend to like it but I am also of the opinion that the noise in the sky is distracting. And it's true that the detail in the trees tend to disappear in the noise as well, and the water in the foreground seems a tad over-accentuated. Is 1600 ISO a limit for the Oly?

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 13-Nov-12 08:18 PM
1544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sunset over eastern Venice, Italy"
In response to Reply # 4

Frederick, US

Good comments all - thanks.

The Oly can go to 3200, but it ain't no D700 or D800 (and I wish I had had the D800 with me at the time). I actually have chosen a different work flow other than what you see here, but I was afraid reducing it to 300MB would possibly compromise the improvement anyway - I wasn't sure it would be worth the effort of reposting.

I have some issues with noise and sharpening that I am currently addressing but I don't have the best knowledge of that yet, and by the way, it is a single shot HDR from Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 and PS/CS, but the radius adjustment did NOT help it.

Thanks again guys - it's all a learning process for me,

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Escaladieu Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2010Fri 16-Nov-12 09:07 AM
655 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Sunset over eastern Venice, Italy"
In response to Reply # 0

Artiguemy, FR

Works for me too. Well done.

Personal Blog
http://www.blog-jeff-holdgate.co.uk

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69734 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.