Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69674
View in linear mode

Subject: "A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico" Previous topic | Next topic
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 09-Nov-12 01:52 PM
4159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"

Milwaukee, US

I have many images from the recent ANPAT 12 posted in the Galleries, but this one has become perhaps one of my new favorites among the few that made the cut because of the interactive light throughout the sunrise on the desert sands of White Sands, New Mexico. Taken with D700, 28-300mm Nikkor at 28mm, ISO 200, F/4, 13 sec, -0.7 EV, Manual Exposure and White Balance with some adjustment of the Raw Image in Lightroom 4.2.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico
jxv777 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
22nd Nov 2012
landism
22nd Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
24th Nov 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
22nd Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
24th Nov 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
22nd Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
24th Nov 2012
Drbee Silver Member
22nd Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
24th Nov 2012
Bump57 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
24th Nov 2012
jjmirenzi Gold Member
23rd Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
24th Nov 2012
AartPapaya Silver Member
23rd Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
25th Nov 2012
russg Silver Member
25th Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
25th Nov 2012
russg Silver Member
25th Nov 2012

jxv777 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th May 2009Thu 22-Nov-12 01:45 AM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 0

Kirkland, WA, US

I like your photo!

James

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 22-Nov-12 02:29 AM
4159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 1

Milwaukee, US

Thank you James!

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

landism Registered since 22nd Oct 2011Thu 22-Nov-12 10:20 AM
470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

nice!

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 11:31 PM
#10. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 3

Milwaukee, US

Thank you.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 22-Nov-12 01:25 PM
3370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

Nice one John. Looks like the Thursday morning sunrise. The white sand does allow you to see fg detail.

John

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 11:34 PM
#11. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 24-Nov-12 11:35 PM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

Thanks, John. Yes it was Thursday. I appreciate the comments.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 22-Nov-12 02:29 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

A glorious sunrise. Nice work.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 11:35 PM
#12. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 5

Milwaukee, US

Dean,
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Thu 22-Nov-12 03:01 PM
5661 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice John,

I like how the white sand takes on the color of the sky. This is certainly a special landmark at a time of day that many don't get a chance to see.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 11:41 PM
#13. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 6

Milwaukee, US

Roger,
Thanks for commenting. It was really glorious and this one gives us the feel I had for the marvelous light that the D700 captured so well.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Fri 23-Nov-12 03:28 AM
6342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Beautiful work John!

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 11:43 PM
#14. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 7

Milwaukee, US

Scott, thanks for commenting!

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jjmirenzi Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 02:59 PM
126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 0

Dupont, US

Great SHot. I love that fact that thru Nikonian members I can see the world.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 11:48 PM
#15. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 8

Milwaukee, US

Joseph,
Thanks for commenting. Your comment is so true given the diversity of regions of the world where our members are located.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Fri 23-Nov-12 06:04 PM
1930 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 24-Nov-12 04:34 PM by AartPapaya

Hectorspruit, ZA

John, This is a very striking photo and you deserve all the accolades.
About how long before sunrise did you take this picture?
At first I was astonished at the 13 sec exposure time and than I realize that the son was way behind the horizon. A very innovative idea I would say.

Aart

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 25-Nov-12 04:04 PM
#16. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 9

Milwaukee, US

Aart, thanks for the comments. The image was taken within minutes of sunrise. Some others images that morning were taken earlier, since we were out when it was still dark. The sun was on the other side of the mountains beyond the horizon, but had just risen at 7:12am and this image was taken 7:31am.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sun 25-Nov-12 05:26 PM
1165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Really nice, John. White Sands is high on my list of places I want to shoot. Did you have any issues with getting into the monument before sunrise or staying after sunset?

Russ

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 25-Nov-12 05:49 PM
#18. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 17

Milwaukee, US

Russ,

Thanks for the comments. Since this was the Nikonians' ANPAT 12 trip, Mike Hagen laid out the itinerary where in we got access early to the Monument. Thus we got in early and also got to go to areas usually off limits to the regular White Sands visitor.

Again, thanks,

John

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sun 25-Nov-12 06:17 PM
1165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: A Sunrise at White Sands, New Mexico"
In response to Reply # 18

Phoenix, US

Very cool. Wish I was there.

Russ

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69674 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.