nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #69591
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ice Capades" Previous topic | Next topic
Marsel Gold Member Awarded for his masterful accomplishments in Nature Photography Awarded for his excellent white papers and product reviews for the Resources   Amsterdam, NL  Charter Member Tue 06-Nov-12 01:58 PM
4969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ice Capades"

>Click here for large version<

Early this year I was travelling in Iceland, scouting for locations for a new photo tour. I was prepared to see a lot of spectacular landscapes, people had even warned me that I would get hooked, but it still greatly exceeded my expectations. As a result I didn't cover a lot of distance each day - too much to see and photograph! And as a result of that, I stayed much longer than anticipated - which was not too bad by the way

This was taken at sunrise. I had set my alarm clock very early to check out the weather, and it didn't look very promising - completely overcast. The weather in Iceland changes quickly though, so I decided to give it a try anyway. When I arrived at the beach the clouds already started to move away and the sky opened up a little. Enough for some light and color to come through. Moments like this can disappear quickly, so I had to move fast. I shot three exposures to capture all the brightness levels and later merged them in PS.

Please view large!

Marsel van Oosten | Squiver Photo Tours

2013/2014 Tours & Workshops: Alaska | Iceland | Japan | Namibia | Spain | South Africa | Turkey | Zambia

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ice Capades GiantTristan Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades Rassie Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades Melman59 Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
06th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades jtmcg Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades glxman Silver Member
07th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades DAJolley Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades Scotty45 Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades Reilly M
12th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
13th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Ice Capades Marsel Gold Member Awarded for his masterful accomplishments in Nature Photography Awarded for his excellent white papers and product reviews for the Resources
13th Nov 2012

GiantTristan Silver Member  Stamford, US  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 06-Nov-12 03:56 PM
2036 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 06-Nov-12 03:57 PM by GiantTristan

This is a truly exceptional capture, one of the best I have seen in a long time. I was in Iceland several years ago, and it is about the most "target rich" country for a photographer I have encountered. I found the place particularly conducive for wa photography.

Tristan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 06-Nov-12 06:21 PM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0

Fantastic picture, Marsel. The term "out of this world" comes to mind.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Melman59 Silver Member  Monroe, US  Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009 Tue 06-Nov-12 07:47 PM
324 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello Marsel,
I really like this. The large chunk of ice in the foreground really helps make this photograph.
Tom

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community   Atlanta, US  Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005 Tue 06-Nov-12 08:13 PM
9065 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful image Marsel - I keep staring at it seeing more detail and thinking about how you did it.

The sparkle of the ice is fabulous.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Wed 07-Nov-12 02:10 PM
4039 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0

Just great as always Marsel.

John

glxman Silver Member  South Australia, AU  Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008 Wed 07-Nov-12 09:32 PM
3398 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0

Amazing image Marsel,
Beautiful work,
Regards,
Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

DAJolley Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007 Thu 08-Nov-12 02:15 AM
1248 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0

That's an amazing image. Well done!
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.   Vantaa, FI  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:08 AM
2578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0

I have seldom seen so many challenges in a single scene. Huge DOF from inches to infinity, huge dynamic range, which requires bracketing. But there are two kinds of moving water, which complicates the business of combining the bracketed shots. Plus determining the optimal amount of motion blur in the water. Absolutely fantastic.

Regards, Antero

Scotty45 Silver Member  AU  Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010 Thu 08-Nov-12 11:07 AM
1378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0

Lovely image Marcel. That chunk of ice in the foreground seems as though it is suspended in front of the camera....Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Reilly M   Monrovia, US  Registered since 26th Jul 2008 Mon 12-Nov-12 08:47 PM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0

UNIQUE! And you are right, it is nothing (hahaha)
until viewed larger.

yours,
Reilly

The only stupid question is the one you should have asked....

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Lewisville, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012 Tue 13-Nov-12 01:23 AM
717 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 0

Marsel,
Extraordinary image...
Would you explain what is the dark area beneath the large piece of ice
in the foreground? I just can't quite put it all together.

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

Marsel Gold Member Awarded for his masterful accomplishments in Nature Photography Awarded for his excellent white papers and product reviews for the Resources   Amsterdam, NL  Charter Member Tue 13-Nov-12 07:08 AM
4969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Ice Capades"
In response to Reply # 11

Glenn - the beach is black.

Marsel van Oosten | Squiver Photo Tours

2013/2014 Tours & Workshops: Alaska | Iceland | Japan | Namibia | Spain | South Africa | Turkey | Zambia

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #69591 Previous topic | Next topic