Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69180
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP" Previous topic | Next topic
orftoden Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2008Tue 23-Oct-12 01:11 AM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP"

Denver, US

After being woken up at 1:00 am Sunday morning by my motorcyclist neighbor, I made the trip up from Denver to RMNP to catch the meteor shower. While I was only able to capture one faint meteor (barely visible in the upper right hand corner of the first shot), overall the trip was well worth while. I even started my morning by summiting Hallett Peak by 8 am. Comments and/or critique is appreciated.

RMNP Fire From Flattop Mountain just above timberline:

D800e; 17-35mm; f/4; iso 1600; 30 sec

Hallett Peak from Flattop Mountain:

D800e; 24mm PC-E; f/8 downward tilt; iso 100

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP
Melman59 Silver Member
23rd Oct 2012
Leighgregory
23rd Oct 2012
nikocarol Silver Member
23rd Oct 2012
orftoden Silver Member
26th Oct 2012
DaddySS Gold Member
26th Oct 2012
treadwl Silver Member
10th Nov 2012
Hans Ztz Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
11th Nov 2012
Skattelite Silver Member
11th Nov 2012

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Tue 23-Oct-12 08:03 PM
250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP"
In response to Reply # 0

Monroe, US

Brad,
I have never seen anything quite like your first shot. That is very cool. We were there when the fire broke out on Tuesday the 9th of Oct. The fire somewhat ruined some of our plans. We were going to hike up to dream lake for a sunrise shot, but Bear Lake Road was closed.

I like your second shot too with the blues, browns, and whites. Nice composition. Wish I lived as close as you do to the park. As it is we only make it out once a year for a week. Thanks for posting.
Tom

Leighgregory Registered since 08th Sep 2006Tue 23-Oct-12 08:19 PM
1599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP"
In response to Reply # 1

Swindon, GB

Hi Brad,

I love the first photo, I've never tried to shoot anything like it before and am supprised you captured this much detail with a 30 second exposure.

Something I will have to try one day...

Thanks

Leigh

A Nikonion in Swindon, UK.

My website

nikocarol Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jun 2010Tue 23-Oct-12 09:29 PM
274 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

I think you should thank your neighbor...because of him you were able to capture these beauties and I am totally enjoying them. Well done!!!
I think you should print #1 large and hang it proudly...a real stunner.

orftoden Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2008Fri 26-Oct-12 01:27 AM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP"
In response to Reply # 3

Denver, US

I would like to thank you all for your kind words. Yes, I probably should also thank my neighbor for the "inspiration" to get up and get out there.

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Fri 26-Oct-12 08:43 AM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

Great capture! Every once in a while the extra effort to get out there pays off big!

Richard

treadwl Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 10-Nov-12 12:03 PM
1631 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunrise, US

I've hiked most of Rocky over the years (I live in Florida) and these photos of my favorite place are quite stunning. You capture of the night sky really captures the vastness of a Rocky night (I can almost feel the wind sitting here) and the feeling of dawn is well demonstrated in the darken shadows and sunlit foreground.

Thanks for providing my mountain fix for today.

Larry

Hans Ztz Silver Member Awarded for his outstandig Landscape Images. Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2009Sun 11-Nov-12 09:40 AM
1085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP"
In response to Reply # 0

Regensburg, DE

Impressive shots ...!

Ciao - Hans (Bavaria/Germany)

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 11-Nov-12 02:24 PM
4492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Very nice images.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Skattelite Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 09:31 PM
1218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Fire & Ice -- A pair from RMNP"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

I really like the warm/cooc contrast in hue in the 2nd one, Brad.
Nice work.
Scott
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69180 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.