Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #68751
View in linear mode

Subject: "Taking a picture in the woods about a half hour after s..." Previous topic | Next topic
le gamin Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2012Sat 06-Oct-12 07:56 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Taking a picture in the woods about a half hour after sunset"

Parksville, British Columbia, CA

After taking some shots of a sunset near home, I entered a local "dry land" forest about a half hour after sunset. I could make out the tree but not much else. As a lark I mounted the camera with its Nikor 18-105 lens onto my tripod. My settings were 4s at f/16 with ISOs set at 800 or 1600. The image was underexposed by -1.5EV for the ISO set at 1600. However, I was able to get a really interesting image after processing the RAW file with PSE10.

Normally when I take a picture in the forest/woods the contrast between the light at the base of the trees and that their tops is huge. So much so that the tops are overexposed and the bases are underexposed. The image recorded after sunset was quite flat, and nothing like I have seen before. Yet there was plenty of detail to make the image interesting.

If anyone is interested then please let me know and I'll post the image. Please provide any requirements about image size, etc.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sat 06-Oct-12 11:38 AM
1592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Taking a picture in the woods about a half hour after sunset"
In response to Reply # 0

US

David this sounds like something that you might think of posting in one of the picture sharing forums as opposed to a camera specific forum. The picture sharing forums ( and some others) have a 'pinned' topic in them that will give you guidelines and limits for posting images straight to the forums.Your other option is to put them in your Gallery here at Nikonians and then link to them in your post.
As a paying member you are able to do it either way.
For example if you open up the "A Picture I Took" forum the first post is "Image posting limits and guidelines"
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=175&topic_id=9188&mesg_id=9188&page=

Also under General Forums , the first forum is "About Nikonians and Galleries" A must read for any member! This also tells you about posting limits.
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=134

Great to see you enjoying your Nikon!

Sheri Becker

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 06-Oct-12 08:51 PM
11277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Taking a picture in the woods about a half hour after sunset"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi David,

This sounds interesting. I am sure that other Nikonians would like to see this image.

We always encourage members to post images. I have moved your post over to our Landscape forum. Please post your image shooting details here.

The image must be 1,200 pixels on the longest side or smaller and under 300Kbyte.

You can click on the edit button on your original post and upload the image in that message.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Dave

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

polardan Registered since 30th Sep 2012Tue 09-Oct-12 10:03 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Taking a picture in the woods about a half hour after sunset"
In response to Reply # 0

Gisborne, AU

I'm not sure about your part of the world, but I have just returned from a two month road trip through the centre of Australia.

Shots taken half an hour after sunset (or before sunrise) with the appropriate slow speeds are spectacular. An incredible beauty, also picked up with the naked eye.

One one occasion, we were up on an old limestone ridge overlooking the Bungle Bungle Ranges. There were about 20 people up there from the nearby campsite. Everyone watched the sunset (which was spectacular) as the walls of the Bungles turned blood orange. Then they all went home save for two others and I.

From 25-40 minutes after the sunset the most beautiful light bathed us. Yes, it was almost dark, but we called out to each other how the rest of the people missed out on the best part of the sunset.

A wonderful time of day. Works well before sunrise too. All to do with the angle of sun below the horizon and atmospheric filtering of sunlight I guess.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #68751 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.