Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Taking a picture in the woods about a half hour after sunset

le gamin

Parksville, British Columbia, CA
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
le gamin Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2012
Sat 06-Oct-12 08:56 AM

After taking some shots of a sunset near home, I entered a local "dry land" forest about a half hour after sunset. I could make out the tree but not much else. As a lark I mounted the camera with its Nikor 18-105 lens onto my tripod. My settings were 4s at f/16 with ISOs set at 800 or 1600. The image was underexposed by -1.5EV for the ISO set at 1600. However, I was able to get a really interesting image after processing the RAW file with PSE10.

Normally when I take a picture in the forest/woods the contrast between the light at the base of the trees and that their tops is huge. So much so that the tops are overexposed and the bases are underexposed. The image recorded after sunset was quite flat, and nothing like I have seen before. Yet there was plenty of detail to make the image interesting.

If anyone is interested then please let me know and I'll post the image. Please provide any requirements about image size, etc.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.