Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #67844
View in linear mode

Subject: "More shots of Lake St Clair." Previous topic | Next topic
Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Sun 19-Aug-12 12:03 PM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"More shots of Lake St Clair."
Sun 19-Aug-12 12:10 PM by Scotty45

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

These shots were taken on a different day, with less smoke haze.....Scotty.

D80. 70-300mm F/4.5-6G. 1/400s @ f5. iso160.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

lpicker Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009Sun 19-Aug-12 08:32 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: More shots of Lake St Clair."
In response to Reply # 0

Havre de Grace, US

Ian:

While I am drawn to the images, they are not technically what I imagine you are seeking. On days as hazy as this, with featureless skies, try zooming in on your composition to exclude the sky. Often days like this will tend to help saturate colors, as we can see in the foreground golden grasses.

I would also suggest trying a smaller aperture, perhaps f11, for better definition. For that you may need to use a tripod.

Finally, the animals are too distant to give us a feel for them. They don't serve as a pictorial element here. I would have liked you to move in closer and use them as a stronger foreground element. They certainly seem to have been interested in what you were doing!

Congrats on your efforts and your courage in seeking input. Best wishes,

Les

Nikonians Academy Instructor

Please visit my blog site.

Please visit my image web site.

Winner 2011 Canada Northern Lights Award

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Sun 19-Aug-12 11:12 PM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: More shots of Lake St Clair."
In response to Reply # 1

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Thank you Les. I appreciate your comments & advice. That is exactly what I was searching for. Now that I own a better camera (D300s), & better glass. I hope to be able to take advantage of scenes like this & take better photos.....Scotty.

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Sun 19-Aug-12 11:33 PM
13996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: More shots of Lake St Clair."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 19-Aug-12 11:33 PM by dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US

Scotty, very pleasant scenes. One thing you can't help no matter what equipment you're using--the conditions. What you have here is what me and some of my friends call the "white sky of death". Basically, all it means is that you don't have the benefit of great lighting or a pretty sky. There are some advantages, as mentioned, such as color saturation for some scenes. Perhaps you could try some scenes where you eliminate the sky completely.

Given that the light is my first consideration, I'd try to go back when you have a better, more interesting sky or try very early or late in the day when the light is warmer and the shadows longer and more dramatic and see what results you get.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Mon 20-Aug-12 12:02 AM
#4. "RE: More shots of Lake St Clair."
In response to Reply # 3

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Thanks Dan. I'd really like to get back there & spend more time with my camera & a lot more experience than I had with the D80. It's a beautiful area with a lot of Photographic potential......Scotty.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #67844 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.