nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #65592
View in linear mode

Subject: "Polarizer for landscapes on FX body" Previous topic | Next topic
zdybkevlau   Waxhaw, US  Registered since 30th Nov 2006 Wed 18-Apr-12 06:32 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Polarizer for landscapes on FX body"

I own a Singh-Ray Vari-n-duo THIN mount and had good success using it with my D300 and 17-55 2.8 lens. I now own a D800 and tried using this filter with a 24-120 vr lens and found the images unusable below 38mm. The vignetting started around 44mm. I read the product page at Singh-ray and it states that this will more likely occur on full frame cameras.

Is there a better lens to use with this filter for shooting landscapes? I bought the D800 because I thought it would be a better choice for landscapes.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

orftoden Silver Member  Denver, US  Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2008 Sun 22-Apr-12 04:45 AM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Polarizer for landscapes on FX body"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you sure that you are experiencing vignetting? Sometimes when shooting skies, polarizing filters will cause a gradation of the darkness of the sky (caused because the angle of polarization differs throughout the frame). This effect will get worse the wider you shoot and will be worse with a FF camera vs. a DX camera when using the same focal length.

Do you experience this problem when shooting photos without the sky? If you see this problem when you are shooting indoors, then you are experiencing vignetting and the filter is not allowing light to reach the corners of your lens. If this is the case, then you need to get a different lens, shoot without a filter, or see if a slim mount filter helps this issue.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.   McAllen, US  Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002 Sun 22-Apr-12 06:09 PM
12020 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Polarizer for landscapes on FX body"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm a little confused as to your question. The Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo is not strictly a polarizer but a variable neutral density filter with an added warming polarizer. With that being said are you seeing true vignetting where there are darkened edges around the image due to the filter extending into the image circle of the lens, or are you seeing irregular polarization due to setting the lens at a wide angle?

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

zdybkevlau   Waxhaw, US  Registered since 30th Nov 2006 Mon 23-Apr-12 02:12 AM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Polarizer for landscapes on FX body"
In response to Reply # 2

No this occurs regardless of being outdoors or indoors. I called the company and they said that this is normal with FX bodies and told me that my filter is better for shooting waterfalls. I told them that I wanted to shoot a wide landscape scene and they suggested that I buy strictly a polarizer as the Vari-N-Duo is labeled a "thin" mount but the polarizer only filters are thinner.

I guess this was an expensive lesson learned!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Landscape (Public) topic #65592 Previous topic | Next topic