Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #59643
View in linear mode

Subject: "Landscapes Photography Video" Previous topic | Next topic
Dark Wraith Registered since 05th Apr 2010Tue 17-May-11 01:25 AM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Landscapes Photography Video"
Wed 18-May-11 07:48 PM by Dark Wraith

US

I have returned to using video as a presentation medium for my photographs. This is the link to my latest effort, which features a particular type of landscape photography I do. Runtime in two minutes forty seconds.

Abandoned Landscapes

I must caution that the video is a large file produced in high definition, so you should wait a minute to allow some buffering before hitting the PLAY icon to watch the whole show. I need to work on reducing .flv file sizes. Also, the native size of the Flash player you'll see is 1280x720.

*(With thanks to those who noted the download time for the larger version, on 5/18 I am adding this smaller version of the Flash video with a 720 player width):
Abandoned Landscapes

All but one of the photographs were taken with a Nikon D7000 (one is with a Nikon D5000), using either a Nikkor 18-200mm AF-S VRII or a 50mm f1.4G AF-S.

Processing was done in ACR, then Photoshop CS4 or CS5. You'll see a variety of processing techniques, from three-shot HDRs to duotones, split tones, and even several done in whole or in part with the Nik Software Silver Efex Pro 2 plug-in for Photoshop.

Enjoy the show.

Dark Wraith
Professor, Writer, Photographer
See my Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Landscapes Photography Video
augustf Gold Member
17th May 2011
Dark Wraith
17th May 2011
DAJolley Silver Member
18th May 2011
jrp Administrator
18th May 2011
westacott Silver Member
18th May 2011
Netadmin
18th May 2011
Dark Wraith
18th May 2011
Mr Moose Silver Member
24th May 2011
Dark Wraith
24th May 2011
Dark Wraith
25th May 2011
jdroach Platinum Member
25th May 2011

augustf Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2007Tue 17-May-11 08:59 PM
1416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 0

Aldie, US

Hey Alan,

Great job!! I liked it a lot. All of you beautiful images were tied tightly to the theme and bounced between lonely, dark, brooding and haunting. The music seems to tie the whole presentation together. Great work.

-August

De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace!

Dark Wraith Registered since 05th Apr 2010Tue 17-May-11 09:42 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Much appreciated. I was a little concerned that no comments had been posted, which was making me consider taking the video out to one of those lonely landscapes and shooting it.

Dark Wraith
See my Gallery

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Wed 18-May-11 12:07 AM
1189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice presentation.
Dave Jolley
http://www.pbase.com/hockingphotos

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 18-May-11 09:07 AM
34635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 18-May-11 09:15 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Nicely done.
Images and music work very well together to fully convey the mood.
A bit heavy to download. That's likely what restricts its viewing by more members.
I can only imagine the amount of dedication, time, travel and patience to produce it.
Congratulations.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

westacott Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2005Wed 18-May-11 02:27 PM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 4

Coleraine., GB

Would agree re the images, mood, and music and I definitely think the downloading aspect is a killer for many. In my own case I had to try my patience severely while waiting as I`m not connected to a fast broadband connection.
Ian

What you see depends on what you`re looking for. - Unknown

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Netadmin Registered since 16th Apr 2011Wed 18-May-11 03:14 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 5

Fenwick, CA

Alan:
I have only re-introduced myself to photography recently and have a lot to learn. I have, however, been viewing images for a long time.

My photographic interest leans towards landscape/seascape photography, however, I've had this image in my head that landscapes consist of rolling hills or mountains or lakes.

You've given landscape photography an interesting twist, moving away from the stereotypical scene. The images and music were complimentary of each other, and I enjoyed the presentation of the images in a video very much.

I'm fortunate to have a fast connection and had no issues downloading or viewing your video.

Hopefully, in the not-to-distant future, and with a lot of practice, I'll be able to produce images as striking as yours.

Dark Wraith Registered since 05th Apr 2010Wed 18-May-11 05:23 PM
#7. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I thank you for the important note about the load time on the video. Understanding the download experience of end users is one of the reasons I posted this work here, and all of you have provided me with knowledge I would not have been able to acquire on my own.

I have edited my original post to include a link to a smaller version of the original video. Although the new version is a third of the file size of the original, it's still somewhat heavy; and, of course, the smaller size is at the sacrifice of some of the visual drama of the landscapes portrayed.

I am learning from your comments that, whenever I post one of my videos of my photography to the Web, it would be wise to include both the large version and a smaller version; otherwise, I could easily lose a number of potential viewers only because I want everyone to see the photographs at a scale I think is right.

Again, I am grateful for the comments.

Dark Wraith
See my Gallery

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Tue 24-May-11 09:14 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Great video, makes me want to give it a try.
The images remind me of Northern Illinois, if you don't mind me asking, where was this shot at?

Dark Wraith Registered since 05th Apr 2010Tue 24-May-11 11:06 PM
#9. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 8

US

You are in the right area of the country. These were all shot in the Heartland, most downstate in Illinois. Several other videos I'm preparing will feature landscapes in upstate Illinois and in surrounding states. Although I grew up in the hill country well east of the Prairie, the desolate landscapes, abandoned buildings, and generally lonely places are abundant in the Heartland, so I have plenty of places to photograph (in the absence of lots of people who like to have their pictures taken in these parts).

Dark Wraith
See my Gallery

Dark Wraith Registered since 05th Apr 2010Wed 25-May-11 12:42 AM
#10. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 8

US

By the way, I just posted a photo from northern Illinois in my personal gallery and in the Landscapes gallery here at Nikonians:

At Dusk in Northern Illinois

It's from Dekalb County.

Dark Wraith
See my Gallery

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 25-May-11 02:40 PM
4586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Landscapes Photography Video"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Wonderful landscape video. Thank you for sharing it with us. Continue this fine work!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #59643 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.