Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #430
View in linear mode

Subject: "Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?" Previous topic | Next topic
Seb Basic MemberFri 24-Aug-01 12:11 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"

Chicago, US

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-01 AT 02:11 PM (GMT)

I've heard some people say that a polarizer shouldn't be used with wide lenses. Why? I have an 18-35 Nikkor and would like to take scenics with a nice deep sky.

Thanks!
-Seb
"There I was...holy cow, there I am!"

-Seb
http://www.crescentmooncreative.com/images/cmc-logo-black-bg-small_03.gif

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?
Photophil
24th Aug 2001
Seb
24th Aug 2001
Johnny
24th Aug 2001
Seb
24th Aug 2001
Photophil
24th Aug 2001
Johnny
24th Aug 2001
Ed
25th Aug 2001
akpark
02nd Sep 2001
jrp Administrator
02nd Sep 2001
Johnny
03rd Sep 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
03rd Sep 2001
Johnny
03rd Sep 2001
bsdunek
26th Sep 2001

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberFri 24-Aug-01 12:32 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 0

Gent, BE

Hi Seb,

The problem with using polarisers on wide angle lenses is that your sky will not be evenly blue. One side of your picture will be dark blue due to the polariser, the other half will be much lighter, creating a very unnatural effect. Another problem is vignetting due to the thickness of the polariser itself. Especially when you stop the lens down to a small aperture. If you have a depth-of-view-preview-button, use it.

Good luck,
Photophil

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

Seb Basic MemberFri 24-Aug-01 01:02 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

Thanks Phil. I am curious to see what that would look like. To me it seems like it could be used for some cool surreal effects.

Thanks!
-Seb

-Seb

Johnny Basic MemberFri 24-Aug-01 05:08 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 2

Westampton, US

It is actually not a really attractive effect. What you end up with is a band of darker blue sky. I've 'ruined' a couple of my vacation shots last year by doing so.

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

Seb Basic MemberFri 24-Aug-01 05:36 PM
#4. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

So is there even a point in getting the polarizer? I bought the lens primarily for the 18mm end of its range. I plan on using that for most of my landscape shots. Is it worht it at that point?

Thanks
-Seb

-Seb

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberFri 24-Aug-01 06:08 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 4

Gent, BE

Hi Seb,
I wouldn't use it for the sky, but you can still use your polariser to take the glare off the vegetation when it is wet. That way your colours get more saturated. But beware for vignettting.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

Johnny Basic MemberFri 24-Aug-01 06:30 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 4

Westampton, US

In addition to what photophil said, you can also use the polarizer to cut out reflections.

Johnny

Johnny

---

Ed Basic MemberSat 25-Aug-01 02:12 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

The amount of polarization depends on the angle between lens and position of the sun. At 90 degrees, you get the maximum effect. At any other angle, the effect is diminished. And that's where the problem lies with wide-angle lenses. The super wide-angles take in so much expanse of the sky, including those parts that have minimum polarization, that you get uneven blue bands. That is of course you have a blue sky to begin with.

But listen to Johnny and the others, the polarizer is useful for other things too.

Ed

P.S. To determine where the maximum polarization effect in the sky is, make the letter L with your index finger and thumb (remember 90 degrees). Point the thumb at the sun. Rotate your hand, while keeping the thumb pointed at the sun. Wherever your index finger points, that's where the maximum polarization is. For example, if the sun is directly overhead, you'll get maximum effect at any point in the sky just above the horizon all around you.

To reduce reflections, it's more like between 30 and 45 degrees off the reflecting surface. Hope this helps.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

akpark Basic MemberSun 02-Sep-01 07:05 PM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 2

Check this one out.

http://www.mts.net/~akpark/images/winnipeg2_5.jpg

See the top left and right is much darker than the rest of the screen. I find that when I use circ. polarizer and use 28mm, I seem to get that ring. Of course, I can just cut that part off when I scan or frame the picture, so it's not a big deal. (I just don't frame too tightly.)

Andrew (http://www.mts.net/~akpark)

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 02-Sep-01 08:17 PM
34522 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 8

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Andrew:
I think that is vignetting.
A thin rim polarizer seems the solution.
I use one on my 17-35mm f/2.8 and it works just fine.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Johnny Basic MemberMon 03-Sep-01 02:32 AM
#10. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 9

Westampton, US

Yeah, that does look more like vignetting.

Unfortunately, clubphoto has changed their format so I am not able to link directly to them (Grrrr!). Select 'bad polarizer effect' from here. You will see a dark blue band that starts from the top left corner and extends towards the bottom right corner. This is the polarization effect.

Johnny

Johnny

---

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 03-Sep-01 04:51 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 10

Salt Lake City, US

How wide is the lens you used on "bad polarizer"? I've found to get a darker band with light transitions on both sides that the lens needs to be 24mm or wider. The impact of a polarized band isn't really objectionable on your example image, but it is a good illustration of the effect.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Johnny Basic MemberMon 03-Sep-01 12:33 PM
#12. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 11

Westampton, US

BJ,

I used my 28-105mm for that shot. I could see where something like a 24mm would give you a more pronounced effect (wider angle of view) but the polarizer effect can even be seen with a 50mm. It just depends upon your angle to the sun. Granted, the wider you go, the more sky you cover. The more sky you cover, the better your chances of getting the polarizer effect.

Johnny

Johnny

---

bsdunek Basic MemberWed 26-Sep-01 02:15 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Us a cir. pol. with wide angle?"
In response to Reply # 9

Howell, US

On my 28mm & 20mm lenses I use a 52-55 step-up ring and a 55mm polarizer. This eliminates vignetting, even at small apatures. I have the 55mm polarizer for my Tamron zoom, so I only had to get the ring.

Bruce

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #430 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.