Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #40927
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sunset at Clearwater beach" Previous topic | Next topic
Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Tue 07-Apr-09 05:12 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sunset at Clearwater beach"

Ann Arbor, US

(Sand Key park)

Other than making the water lighter (too light, I now realize -- looks different on the iMac screen), no other PS applied -- which surprised me: the skies were not so red in reality... What made it appear so red?

Thanks!
Zevi

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 07-Apr-09 10:45 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Sunset at Clearwater beach"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Hi Zevi,

That's a very nice photo, but I agree the water is too bright. Why is the sky so orange? Probably due to in-camera white balance or image optimization settings. If you could share more information (camera used, image & exposure settings, etc.) then we could be of further help.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Wed 08-Apr-09 12:52 AM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sunset at Clearwater beach"
In response to Reply # 1

Ann Arbor, US

Hi Larry,

Ouch... of course, silly me! In the excitement of posting I forgot the info (handheld, shooting NEF+Fine JPG):

D80,
1/800 at f5.6
Lens 70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR, set at 300mm
Exposure bias -2/3
ISO 200
Metering: Center-Weighted average

Attached is a direct export from the raw image at Lightroom 2.0.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 08-Apr-09 04:32 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Sunset at Clearwater beach"
In response to Reply # 2

Livermore, CA, US

Hi Zevi,

The colors look more natural in the 2nd one. There are a few possible sources for the change in color: white balance setting, image optimization settings, and color mode.

Your Lightroom export likely used the white balance as set in camera, but ignored image optimization and color mode settings, substituting its own defaults. These would have been applied in-camera to the jpeg. Most likely: you've got color mode set to IIIa, which gives very punchy, saturated colors. Try Mode I. Or, your image optimization is set to over saturate, which is why you got the strange sky in your first post.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #40927 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.