nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to take good snow scene images

Zevi

Ann Arbor, US
325 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Zevi Registered since 20th Feb 2008
Mon 01-Dec-08 05:41 PM

Hello,

It was snowing yesterday, and I wanted to capture the woods at my backyard. Happens to me everytime: when you just stand and look at the scenery -- the white cover, the fluffy flakes coming down, the tree branches laden with the white stuff -- it's a beautiful picture; but when I look at the results... Very disappointing. Flat and boring to say the least.

How do you take exciting snow pictures?

Although the pictures below were taken before there was hardly any snow on the ground, they still show the disappointing lackluster. No flakes in the air, no flakes as streaks, in short: it's the kind of picture that makes you want to pack and go to Florida... Of course the gray sky work against me here, but I've seen nice results of snow images under such conditions.
These images were taken on a tripod, at f22, ISO 100, and about 0.8 sec. exposure. I hand-held a flash unit and fired it mid-exposure.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Zevi

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images tcerul Silver Member
01st Dec 2008
Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
01st Dec 2008
Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images WillyPete
05th Dec 2008
Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images Marsel Awarded for his masterful accomplishments in Nature Photography Awarded for his excellent white papers and product reviews for the Resources
02nd Dec 2008
Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images Zevi
02nd Dec 2008
     Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images ahhbeebee
02nd Dec 2008
03rd Dec 2008
Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images Valentino Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography
02nd Dec 2008
03rd Dec 2008
     Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images spiritualized67 Silver Member
05th Dec 2008
Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images jjm203z
03rd Dec 2008
04th Dec 2008
Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images MstrBones Silver Member
04th Dec 2008
Reply message RE: How to take good snow scene images spiritualized67 Silver Member
05th Dec 2008

G