Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #32903
View in linear mode

Subject: "Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River" Previous topic | Next topic
newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Tue 29-Jul-08 01:01 AM
2000 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River"

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

Hi,

I was working with Capture NX when this double rainbow showed up in my window. I took my D200 with Sigma 10-20 to take the full extent of this rainbow. Then, I changed lens for my Nikon 18-200 for the second shot.

Full image is at
http://photo4fun.zenfolio.com/p591627136/?photo=h1032996D#271751533

Enjoy,

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River
sgbrown
29th Jul 2008
newbird Silver Member
30th Jul 2008
MstrBones Silver Member
29th Jul 2008
glass eye
29th Jul 2008
newbird Silver Member
30th Jul 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
30th Jul 2008
Reply message New version: Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River
newbird Silver Member
31st Jul 2008

sgbrown Registered since 04th May 2008Tue 29-Jul-08 12:13 PM
348 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

Both very impressive shots. Perhaps a pity that the rainbow colours seem to have become very muted in the first shot, but this is compensated by the wide angle capture of the whole rainbows.

www.stephenbrownphotography.co.uk

Poor technique is not the same thing as creativity

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Wed 30-Jul-08 01:15 AM
2000 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Stephen! In the first picture, the rainbow was very strongly lighted, as much as in the second shot, however the fact that I used a 10mm very wide angle shot made it so small that the various colors don't come out properly. I tried different exposures and +/- compensations but they all looked almost the same. I believe it is a matter of inherent contrast more than exposure. The largest rainbow was fainter.

Regards,

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 29-Jul-08 03:20 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Yvan,

Love that first shot, very nice.

""

glass eye Registered since 10th Jun 2008Tue 29-Jul-08 11:41 PM
358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

#1. Lush verdant pasture as foreground to your double rainbow makes a stunning picture.

#2. I love the closer shot, the rainbow framed by foliage. I almost feel that the legendary 'pot of gold' is within my reach ... Oh what further photo forays that would fund!

Sandra Ann

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Wed 30-Jul-08 01:17 AM
#5. "RE: Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River"
In response to Reply # 2

Thank you ! If you check very well, you'll see a large ship (white, illuminated by the sun light) coming on the St-Lawrence, far away (on the left side of the river).

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 30-Jul-08 05:26 AM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Hi Yvan,

#1 is a fantastic capture but unless you can bring the colors up I think it remains more of a meteorological capture than an artistic one. But, I think those colors are there. They can be coaxed out.

#2 is quite original and a very interesting approach. I'd consider trying to brighten that foreground foliage a little and maybe clone out that branch sticking up. What's important is that you nailed exposure on the rainbow. It's a great shot.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Thu 31-Jul-08 05:37 PM
#7. "New version: Double rainbow over the St-Lawrence River"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 31-Jul-08 05:43 PM by newbird

Hi Larry,

You gave me a good challenge, I appreciate it !

Here are new photos with different post-processing. For the first one, I mostly increased substancially the contrast of the sky. Then, I added some saturation/warm locally to make the rainbow slightly more colorful as well as make far away clouds (at the bottom left of the rainbow) stand out more. I also improved the light/contrast of the greeneries on the foreground. I also took a different shot than the first time (N.B. the big ship is not visible anymore on the St-Lawrence because not hightlighted by the sunlight).

For the second photo, I simply started afresh with +1 exposure compensation.

You can see larger files at http://photo4fun.zenfolio.com/p747745180/?photo=h25405666#461608354
and
http://photo4fun.zenfolio.com/p747745180/?photo=h25405666#42112842

I hope this is what you meant. Nevertheless, after side by side comparison, the new versions stand out much more and I believe I have improved the final result. Is it more artistic ? I hope it is at least a little

Your feedback will be very welcome again as your first feedback really helped me.

Regards,

Edited: I forgot to mention that since I use only NX 1.3, I could not remove the branch. Maybe with NX2 new tool for such purpose.

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #32903 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.