Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #31075
View in linear mode

Subject: "2 hours at Yosemite" Previous topic | Next topic
zemlin Basic MemberThu 12-Jun-08 11:29 PM
885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"2 hours at Yosemite"

Carmel, US

I was on a business trip yesterday - had to go to Merced, CA for a short meeting. Wrapped up around 4:00, so having never been to that part of CA before, I headed out to see what I could see of Yosemite before the sun went down. A 6 AM departure this morning and the desire to get a few hours of sleep had me on a pretty tight schedule.

Yosemite was awesome. The small corner I saw was amazing, and I will be back. With my widest lens being a 28mm (wide end of an old AF 28-85) on a D80 (=42mm) I'm really not equipped for landscape work - my results capturing the sights fall more into the snapshot category. Still, I came away with a few shots I'm pretty happy with. A wide lens has also moved up on my shopping list.

http://www.sonicartistry.net/zemlinphotos/yosemite/DSC_2182_S.jpg
ISO100 1/250 f8.0 85mm AE raw

http://www.sonicartistry.net/zemlinphotos/yosemite/DSC_2204_1_S.jpg
ISO100 1/500 f3.5 28mm AE raw

http://www.sonicartistry.net/zemlinphotos/yosemite/DSC_2223_1_S.jpg
ISO100 1/125 f8.0 40mm AE raw

http://www.sonicartistry.net/zemlinphotos/yosemite/DSC_2215_1_S.jpg
ISO100 1/250 f8.0 85mm AE raw

PP for all shots was Bibble Lite and Paint Shop Pro X2

Karl Zemlin - www.sonicartistry.net
I couldn't pick a pocket in a pile of dirty clothes - Chris Smither

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 2 hours at Yosemite
2long4u
13th Jun 2008
zemlin
13th Jun 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
13th Jun 2008
zemlin
14th Jun 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
14th Jun 2008
zemlin
18th Jun 2008

2long4u Registered since 06th May 2008Fri 13-Jun-08 03:35 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 2 hours at Yosemite"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento, US

I love that last pic!

zemlin Basic MemberFri 13-Jun-08 02:31 PM
885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 2 hours at Yosemite"
In response to Reply # 1

Carmel, US

Thanks, that's my favorite too. Converted to B&W - then tinted.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 13-Jun-08 09:25 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: 2 hours at Yosemite"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

2 hours in Yosemite is a heartbreaker. When I go I am always left scheming ways to an early retirement so I can just never leave. I can see myself deciding in that situation to stay up all night and just sleep on the plane the next day.

The photos are nice and I especially like the last one.

Hopefully you get a chance to go back soon. A 12-24 lens would fill in your gap nicely, but barring that, a used 18-55 would be really cheap (<$100) and would open up a lot of possibilities.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

zemlin Basic MemberSat 14-Jun-08 11:44 AM
#4. "RE: 2 hours at Yosemite"
In response to Reply # 3

Carmel, US

An 18-55 is a possibility and certainly one I could afford, but at this point I'm thinking about a Sigma 10-20. The 12-24 is out of reach.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sat 14-Jun-08 03:54 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: 2 hours at Yosemite"
In response to Reply # 4

Livermore, CA, US

If the Sigma is in your price range then that's a better option than the 18-55 IMO. For landscape the 10-20 will open up a whole new world the 18-55 isn't quite capable of.

FYI Tokina makes a well respected 12-24 f/4 that costs about the same as the Sigma. I use the Sigma 10-20 myself and in most cases I recommend it over the Tokina for being able to go 2mm wider, but they are both excellent lenses and in your case the 12-24 does a better job of covering the gap to your normal zoom.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

zemlin Basic MemberWed 18-Jun-08 02:40 AM
#6. "RE: 2 hours at Yosemite"
In response to Reply # 5

Carmel, US

Well, $450-$500 is a lot for me to spend on a lens these days - I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the Sigma. If it was 2.8, and/or FX format I might have gone for it.

I found an 18-55 VR for $120 delivered. Should have it in a week. That will at least get me a wide angle without breaking the bank just yet.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #31075 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.