Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #19592
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yosemite is still beautiful!" Previous topic | Next topic
ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007Wed 16-Jan-08 01:33 PM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yosemite is still beautiful!"

US

I have been going to Yosemite for twenty-five or more years now. But you know what… I just never get tired of it! Not so much as the first time, but I still hear myself going WOW inside whenever I am there! Unfortunately but expected though the crowds are huge in the valley this time of year because of the falls running. Tioga Pass however is a bit less traveled still so I had some time and I went. Here are a couple from the trip. Hope you like them.

----------------------------
NAS - Taking it one day at a time!

A picture is worth a thousand words! I took a photograph and couldn't think of that many. I guess I'll keep trying!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!
camerapapi Silver Member
29th May 2007
MasterDabber Silver Member
29th May 2007
ZDude
29th May 2007
ZDude
29th May 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
29th May 2007
ZDude
29th May 2007
Valentino Gold Member
29th May 2007
ZDude
29th May 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
30th May 2007
camerapapi Silver Member
16th Jan 2008
ZDude
01st Jun 2007
bobcamarena
01st Jun 2007
ZDude
01st Jun 2007
bobcamarena
01st Jun 2007
bobcamarena
02nd Jun 2007
MstrBones Silver Member
02nd Jun 2007

camerapapi Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2002Tue 29-May-07 11:03 AM
1108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 0

Miami, US

Unquestionably, Yosemite is a very nice place to be and photograph. I am sure you know Ansel Adams lived there.
I have been in Yosemite once and it was during the film era. I was using slides (Provia 100) with my F-100 and being late May, I had the opportunity of shooting the falls. I also had some nice shots of the Tioga Pass that had been recently opened to the public after being closed for the winter. There was a heavy snow fall the week before my visit so it took a little longer than usual to open the road.
I like both sceneries but I consider the second one the best.
The first shot has prominent bright stones in the foreground. Any bright spots in the foreground of a picture tends to take away attention from the main subject. Some cropping and toning down those rocks makes a totally different and pleasant shot.
The second one is far better because the stones in the foreground serve as a guide to the background without commanding attention. All areas of the picture are well exposed and the composition is simple but very effective.
I live in Miami, Florida. We have no mountains and to see ice I have to open the freezer. We do have an Everglades National Park and although I do not go there in the summer (heat, humidity and mosquitoes) Mr. Clyde Butcher(the Ansel Adams of the Everglades)spends most of the year there photographing in b&w with large format cameras. He has a big gallery in the wilderness out of US-41 about 20 miles west of Miami that I like to visit to enjoy looking to his photography. I have talked to him in two occasions about his work and his cameras, some of them over 50 years old. I visit the Park regularly during the winter season for the variety of birds that spend the winter there.
If you are not familiar with the work of Clyde Butcher do a search in the Internet to find his website. His b&w pictures are not only very beautiful but also an inspiration.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Tue 29-May-07 12:05 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 1

Camberley, GB

I've only been to Yosemite once and that was pre-Nikonians days. Shots like these remind me I have to go back.

I much prefer #2 for much the same reasons William has described. In #1 I find the rocks untidy and the foreground a bit uninteresting if you know what I mean.

#2 is very nice though. Good composition and nicely exposed.
Derek
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007Tue 29-May-07 04:45 PM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>I've only been to Yosemite once and that was pre-Nikonians
>days. Shots like these remind me I have to go back.

Derek,
Well, I don't know if or when you'll get a chance, but I am fairly certain Yosemite will be there ready when you do! Thanks for the comments.

A picture is worth a thousand words! I took a photograph and couldn't think of that many. I guess I'll keep trying!

ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007Tue 29-May-07 03:53 PM
#5. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

William,

Thanks for the comments and yes I do know Ansel Adams very well (well not personally) and have seen some B&W photos by Clyde Butcher. Basically anyone that can lug around an 8x10 view camera is a hero in my book!

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 29-May-07 02:25 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

I agree with the others, that #1 lacks an interesting foreground element. Next time have a talk with Mother Nature and try to arrange for some wildflowers!

#2 is nice. I usually visit Yosemite in the Spring before Tioga pass is open. I'm making a point to head back into the High Sierra this Summer for this kind of shot.

Cheers,
Larry

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007Tue 29-May-07 04:06 PM
#6. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Next time have a talk with Mother Nature and try to arrange for some >wildflowers!

The Mother... never listens huh?

Larry, I really like your photos of Yosemite! I could think of worse photographic opportunities to live near! I hope you get that chance this summer to go back. Maybe SHE will listen and put some wildflowers in your photos. In any event, I look forward to seeing them.

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Tue 29-May-07 02:54 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I love the second one but the first one really doesn't work with the huge foreground since there is nothing interestng happening. If there was a large/distorted foreground element that helped with perspective, that would be be different. But 2/3 foreground is not the optimal composition for this beautiful scene. Possibly if you moved to the left and sed the water as a leading line?

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007Tue 29-May-07 04:41 PM
#7. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are very much appreciated. It seems it's unanimous that the first photo is somewhat lacking and distracting. In this photo I was really looking for that "wide open Ponderosa" type of feel and I thought I had achieved it (distracting foreground rocks not withstanding. I should have noticed that big white one at least <G>!). By everyones reply I obviously failed to convey it though. It really does help to get cc from these forums because of this very reason and I also got and idea or two for my next visit as well. Of course it certainly would have been nice if something like say a few deer or a bear walked into the foreground huh?

Again thanks all!

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 30-May-07 03:41 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 7

Livermore, CA, US

Hi Micheal,

Thanks for your compliment on my gallery and yes I must remind myself to not take for granted living near such a spectacular place.

Regarding the first photo, I think it works well as a pano if you crop the bottom 2/3 or so. A bear would be great but all honesty if it was me I'd be looking for a change of shorts rather than taking the award winning photo

My Nikonians gallery

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

camerapapi Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2002Wed 16-Jan-08 01:33 PM
1108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 9

Miami, US

I played a little bit in the "digital darkroom" with your picture using conventional, simple tools and no complicated techniques. I mainly used burn-in techniques, resized and applied a minor amount of sharpening.
You may or may not like the results, that is a matter of taste but I think, my opinion obviously, that the picture has been greatly improved.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007Fri 01-Jun-07 08:23 PM
#11. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 16

US

>I mainly used burn-in techniques, resized and
>applied a minor amount of sharpening.
>You may or may not like the results, that is a matter of
>taste but I think, my opinion obviously, that the picture
>has been greatly improved.

William,

I do think it looks like a different photo now, better tone and color, but maybe a bit too dark IMO. It could be that I'm at work and this monitor is not calibrated though. Does anyone else have opinions I wonder? In any case, what part(s) did you burn in? What percentage? Midtones, highlights, shadows, ALL? Maybe you can elaborate some? My Photoshop skills certainly need some help.

Thanks,

bobcamarena Registered since 04th May 2003Fri 01-Jun-07 03:34 PM
1471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento, US

#1 might have been more interesting had you shot it from ground level, ideally with a WA lens at a relatively small f-stop and focused at the hyperfocal distance resulting in both the foreground and background being in focus. This would have reduced the "height" of the middle portion of your photo, effectively moving the foreground rocks and mountains closer together. (Revised to refer to #1, not #2 as originally posted.)

Bob Camarena

ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007Fri 01-Jun-07 08:32 PM
#12. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>#2 might have been more interesting had you shot it from
>ground level, ideally with a WA lens at a relatively small
>f-stop and focused at the hyperfocal distance resulting in
>both the foreground and background being in focus. This
>would have reduced the "height" of the middle portion of
>your photo, effectively moving the foreground rocks and
>mountains closer together.

Bob, Thanks for the cc. I am at work right now but I "think" I used a 35mm f/2 shot at f/5.6 at about 1/500. I also used a tripod (Gitzo 1327) with only the first section opened. The fast shutter was used to stop the water (and the wind). Would you have a sample of what you mean by "reducing" the height of the middle portion so I can better understand what you mean?

Thanks,

bobcamarena Registered since 04th May 2003Fri 01-Jun-07 10:07 PM
1471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 12

Sacramento, US

I wish I had a good example to share but I don't and my camera is being repaired or I'd go out and shoot one.

Using a film SLR with a 35mm lens set to f/16, the hyperfocal distance is 10'. This means that, if you focus your lens at 10', everything from 5' to infinity will be in focus:

<http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/dof/hyperfocal1.html>

In #1,if you imagine yourself on your belly, sighting the mountain tops right over the top of the rocks, you'd eliminate most, if not all of the middle expanse of your shot. This would be kind of boring, so you don't want to get quite that low.

Therefore, focus your camera to 10' (assuming a 35mm focal length), get your camera down low (1' or so) with the rocks >= 5' away and shoot.

Another neat perspective that I learned a couple of weeks ago, using the same hyperfocal distance concept, is to shoot with a wide angle lens in portrait format, aiming down at about a 45 degree angle, making sure that whatever is in the bottom of the frame is at a distance that will bring it into focus. You'd probably want to use a 24mm lens or wider for good results. Here's an example of this from Galen Rowell:

<http://www.mountainlight.com/gallery.easternsierra/images.html>

As you can see, the flowers at his feet are in focus as are the mountains. This second technique would work well with the scene in #2.

Bob Camarena

bobcamarena Registered since 04th May 2003Sat 02-Jun-07 01:49 PM
#15. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 12

Sacramento, US

I just realized that I've mislead you. My comment was intended to be with respect to #1, not #2. Boy do I feel dumb.

Bob Camarena

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Sat 02-Jun-07 01:10 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Yosemite is still beautiful!"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Michael,

It is one of my photographic aspirations to travel to Yosemite and wear out a camera!

These are very nice, I prefer the composition of the second image. What a beautiful area.

""

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #19592 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.