Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #193
View in linear mode

Subject: "Neutral Density Preference" Previous topic | Next topic
TSPark Basic MemberSat 10-Feb-01 07:43 PM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Neutral Density Preference"

Hi,
Just wondering what everyone else uses, Graduated ND or just ND's with some tape?

Thanks, Tom.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Neutral Density Preference
f5fstop
10th Feb 2001
micolhart Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
jrp Administrator
30th Jan 2013
newbird Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
08th Feb 2013
walkerr Administrator
08th Feb 2013

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberSat 10-Feb-01 09:53 PM
2947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Neutral Density Preference"
In response to Reply # 0

Private, UM

I have graduated and full ND filters in 0.3 (one-stop) and 0.9 (two-stops). Not sure what you mean "or just ND's with some tape?"

Doug

--Take only photographs, leave nothing but footprints--
And carry plenty of FRESH batteries...

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"

micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Wed 30-Jan-13 09:53 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Neutral Density Preference"
In response to Reply # 1

Gilford, US

I think he means with out a holder in front of the lens, Just using some tape to hold the filter infront of the lens. Not screw in.

SEMPER FI
Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue
Marine Corp Monument, Washington,DC

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 30-Jan-13 07:06 PM
34468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Neutral Density Preference"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 30-Jan-13 07:09 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I have Cokin and Hitech filter holders and ND Grad filters in both P and Z-Pro sizes.
I also have the LEE SW-150 for the 14-24mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor
I am very happy with all of them.
The Hitech holders are aluminum (not plastic as the Cokin) and take all brands of slide-in filters.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Fri 01-Feb-13 12:50 PM
2002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Neutral Density Preference"
In response to Reply # 0

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

I have grad and full ND 4x6 filters. I tried to handhold them but didn't like the experience as I was always afraid of scratching them on the front ring of the lens. I didn't find comfortable and didn't get pleasure to handhold them.

I now have two filter holders that I keep installed on two different lenses when I'm shooting in one place (so, no need to uninstall and reinstall these when changing lenses). Typically, I use the filter holders on my Nikon 16-35 f/4 and Nikon 24-120 f/4. I also use my Samyang 14mm f/2.8 and Nikon 10.5 mm fisheye for landscapes but without filters. I rarely use my 70-200 for landscape, and when I do it is mostly without filters. So, two filter holders is good for me.

The two filter holders are Cokin Z-Pro and Lee System for 4x6. I first bought the Cokin Z-Pro as it is less expensive and does the job very well. A couple of years later, I bought the Lee system with the add-on to be able to rotate the second HD filter when I need two filters in specific scenes. At first, I felt the Lee system was less reliable because of the way the filter holders attach to the lens, but after getting used to it I now prefer the Lee over the Cokin. In particular, some Lee rings are especially suited to minimize vignetting for wide angle photos.

Regards,

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 08-Feb-13 04:32 PM
8578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Neutral Density Preference"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Of the times I use ND filters, 90% of the time I'm using graduated ND filters. I typically use a single slot P holder, but every now and then I use two filters or more. Last year I found myself using the second filter handheld at a different angle from the first to hold back both a rising sun and a valley with fog.

My use of ND filters is almost always for stream photos - so I use the Vari-N-Duo. I have also used a CP as an alternative. Occasionally I use a CP and multiple exposures in place of a ND filter.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 08-Feb-13 11:02 PM
14529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Neutral Density Preference"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I use grad filters in different strengths and gradations, all 4x6 Singh-Rays and usually handhold them, but sometimes use a Cokin holder with them. Even with increased dynamic range in the newer cameras and software options such as blends and HDR, I like using them.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #193 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.