nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #60996
View in linear mode

Subject: "Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions" Previous topic | Next topic
woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Tue 08-Jul-08 10:10 AM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
Tue 08-Jul-08 10:10 AM by woodworker5112

Clovis, US

Hi, I have a trip to the San Diego Zoo/wildlife reserve in a week, and I was wondering, is 300mm on a DX body an acceptable focal length for these kind of shots? Also, this will be my first "wild"life shoot, and any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks so much,
Eric

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions
Telecorder
08th Jul 2008
woodworker5112
08th Jul 2008
fenris
08th Jul 2008
the moof
08th Jul 2008
woodworker5112
08th Jul 2008
the moof
08th Jul 2008
twalstrom Silver Member
09th Jul 2008
Planefreek22
09th Jul 2008
woodworker5112
09th Jul 2008
woodworker5112
15th Jul 2008

Telecorder Registered since 05th Jan 2007Tue 08-Jul-08 04:43 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Apple Valley, US

>Hi, I have a trip to the San Diego Zoo/wildlife reserve in a
>week, and I was wondering, is 300mm on a DX body an acceptable
>focal length for these kind of shots? Also, this will be my
>first "wild"life shoot, and any suggestions would be
>most appreciated. Thanks so much,
>Eric
Probably not unless the animals are near to the fence when you pass by. To get an idea of what's needed for 'frame-filling' images, check these two links...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&thread=27240561

http://photo.net/learn/making-photographs/lens
(This has a nifty wizard to indicate the subject size and distance to subject to get an idea of what lens would be needed to fill the FOV...)

Unless you're looking at a landscape image with the subject as a part of the 'natural habitat' surroundings, 300mm (450mm EQ) is going to require a hefty crop to fill the frame. Generally, IQ begins to degrade if you have to crop >30-40% of the FOV out to fill the frame.

Telecorder
'Love my D50+Bigma'
My Nikonian Image Galleries
My Smugmug Galleries

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Tue 08-Jul-08 07:10 PM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
In response to Reply # 1

Clovis, US

Thanks Telecorder. Not necasarily what I was hoping, but I guess I'll be cropping. looks like I need them to be about 67 feet away to get a frame filler. That's pretty close for wildlife.

fenris Registered since 30th Mar 2008Tue 08-Jul-08 07:47 PM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I've used my 70-300 Sigma for wildlife and at zoo's quite a bit. Heck I have used that lens to get full frame head shots of animals both in the wild and at Zoos. In fact take a look at my "Conversations with a Gray Wolf" post to see a couple that were shot, one at 70mm and one at 220mm neither picture was cropped.

the moof Registered since 02nd Jul 2008Tue 08-Jul-08 11:02 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Basel Land, CH

that depends entirely on the nature of the wildlife. I'm not familiar with that area, but generally, if you do it right, you should be able to get within 20 metres (60 feet) of a subject to shoot. Naturally, that takes some degree of practice, but if nothing better, you can always crop as was said. This is precisely what I ordered my Sigma 50-500 to get around

good luck; I look forward to seeing the results.

best regards,
Mark Scherz

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Tue 08-Jul-08 11:12 PM
#5. "RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
In response to Reply # 4

Clovis, US

Hmmm, looks like I might be able to get some. I hope so. I'll try. I always though 300mm to be so long, and then it seems to be so short for wildlife. NAS, here I come!!

the moof Registered since 02nd Jul 2008Tue 08-Jul-08 11:27 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
In response to Reply # 5

Basel Land, CH

again, I don't know what you intend to be shooting (what DO you intend to be shooting? I don't know what roams around there), but I think it should be enough. I had my Panasonic Lumix FZ-30 with me in Madagascar, and despite it being a somewhat awful camera (I mean, it's not THAT bad, but compared to Nikon... let's not compare it to Nikon), I still got some great photos of the wildlife there. It has zoom up to 420mm I believe, but a lot of the stuff I was shooting was only around 200-300. I guess it makes a difference what sort of setting you're in though (these animals had only rarely come into contact with humans before, so they sort of came down to check us out).

Anyways, enough with the ramble, I believe it should be enough, but if you intend to do more nature shooting, go for a longer lens at some point soon

best regards,
Mark Scherz

twalstrom Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2004Wed 09-Jul-08 12:20 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

Eric,

If you are going to the San Diego Zoo Wild Animal Park you will have a great time! I highly recommend the photo caravan tours they have that take you inside the animal enclosures. My wife and I spent most of the day there in Sept. 2006. The tram ride around the park is good and you do get pretty close to the animals -- a 300 mm should be fine.

We went on the photo caravan at the last time of the day which was 5 pm then. We were the only two in the group and we had a great experience. Nothing like two giraffes eating out of your hands at the same time. You get very close to the animals! A 70-200 was often too long. We had a D-70 w/ 70-200 and a D-50 w/ 24-120 on that trip. Have a great experience!

Regards,
Tom Walstrom
A Minnesota Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Planefreek22 Registered since 28th Jan 2006Wed 09-Jul-08 05:15 AM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
In response to Reply # 7

Del Mar, US

At the zoo you can get away with a 70-200mm on a DX body. At the wild animal park, a 300mm is a must.

As a San Diego native, I've spent tons of time at both the zoo and wild animal park. I second the idea of doing the photo caravan tours. You will need a wider lens for that as you get quite close

-Matt
http://www.driftingphotographer.com

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Wed 09-Jul-08 06:43 PM
#9. "RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
In response to Reply # 8

Clovis, US

>I second the idea of doing the photo
>caravan tours. You will need a wider lens for that as you get
>quite close

That is surprising, but cool. We plan on walking around the zo, and then doing a caravan tour. I guess I'll have to keep my 18-135 in the my bag, just in case.

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Tue 15-Jul-08 07:31 AM
#10. "RE: Zoo/Wildlife reserve Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Clovis, US

Just have to say thank you. The trip was puched back, I'll be going next week, but I went to my local zoo, and had a blast. Lots of pictures, and never felt the lack of my 300mm.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #60996 Previous topic | Next topic