nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #52683
View in linear mode

Subject: "First go at a Swan" Previous topic | Next topic
lesbrown88 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 08:32 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"First go at a Swan"

Eastbourne, UK

Hi all
I got myself a D40 a few weeks ago as I wanted to make the leap from point and shoot. This is the first attempt today at a local lake. Please comment, as I'm keen to learn and progress.
F/4.5 1/640 ISO 200 55mm
Thanks
Les

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

stevezz1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Fri 01-Feb-08 09:30 PM
1189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. " RE: First go at a Swan"
In response to Reply # 0

Flimwell, UK

Hi Les,
Welcome to the forum.
Your swan shot is good,i like the water dropping from his beak and the ripples but next time try taking it from a lower angle. Also some of his neck and back are bit over exposed, very difficult to get things just right when the subject is coming out of shadows into bright sunlight.
Enjoy your D40 and post some more images soon.
Steve.

My Gallery...
http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=84037

- I have felt the breath of a Tiger on my face -

AndrewFromCanada Silver Member Charter MemberFri 01-Feb-08 09:55 PM
1314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: First go at a Swan"
In response to Reply # 1

Victoria, CA

For these really bright/mixed light scenarios, try starting with an exposure compensation of -0.7 or so...that would help with the highlights Steve mentioned. Being slightly under is always better than being slightly over in these conditions.

lesbrown88 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2007Sat 02-Feb-08 10:41 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: First go at a Swan"
In response to Reply # 2

Eastbourne, UK

Thanks for all comments. All hints and tips are much appreciated. I will take these onboard and post again next time I get out.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #52683 Previous topic | Next topic