Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #369
View in linear mode

Subject: "Zoo Shooting" Previous topic | Next topic
snowtrekker Mon 24-Dec-01 07:24 PM

"Zoo Shooting"

Hi, I'm looking for tips about shooting at the Zoo, like shooting through Zoo Glass. Is it worth it? How close should you be? How do you get rid of reflections without loosing light with a polarizer? Flash tricks, to avoid bounceback? Do you take some windex with you? Some of the glass is tinted green is there a way to correct for that color or will it even be noticable? What about shooting into reptile cages, terrariums and aquariums, any special advice?

What about wire cages. Do you just get close enough with a telephoto and shoot through it with a narrow depth of field? I've been using a tripod? Any advantages to usig a monopod?

Anybody out there who does a lot of this, I'd love to know what lenses you use, why? What film you use and why? Has anybody out there used a Flash Extender, what brand? Did you like it?

I've been two days now and I think I'm going to learn a lot. There are a lot of problems to solve which is why I think it's such a great learning experience.

Thanks in advance, by the way if there's a tip you know about Zoo shooting and I didn't ask the question please consider it asked, I'd like to know anything that you are willing to share.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Gaspar61 Basic MemberTue 25-Dec-01 02:56 AM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Zoo Shooting"
In response to Reply # 0

Evansville, US

snowtrekker-
I have done a fair amount of shooting at my local zoo. Our zoo is not photo friendly at all. I have to shoot through a lot of thick wire cages and have found that if you back away from the cages and focus through them works the best. When you focus in on the animal the wire seems to just dissapear. This works best if the animal is not too close to the cage wire. I found that shooting through glass, either have my lens right up against the glass or I shoot at an angle through the glass to get rid of reflections. I do not have the problem of tinted glass so I don't know the best filter for that. I hope that this is of some help. The big cats are my favorite animals to catch on film, especially the snow leopards.
Mike

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."

Jules de Gaultier

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberWed 26-Dec-01 12:01 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Zoo Shooting"
In response to Reply # 0

Gent, BE

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-01 AT 02:03 PM (GMT)

Hi Tom,

Taking pictures through a wire fence (type bird cage) shouldn't be a problem as long as the wire isn't too thick and you are allowed to place your lens against the wire. Use your largest aperture and a strong telephoto (300mm or more).

http://www.wildeyes.be/rans.jpg
Nikon F4s Tokina 300mm/2.8 picture taken through wire fence.

When I take pictures through glass, I use my coat as a screen to eliminate my reflection. (Spread your coat close behind you) and place your lens as close as possible to the glass, the same as with a wire fence.

http://www.wildeyes.be/lynx.jpg
Nikon F4s Tokina 80-200/2.8 picture taken through glass.

When you take pictures in terraria with flash, first ask permission because it is often forbidden to use flash. When you are allowed, use two flashes at a 45° angle to the glass to avoid reflections. At home, I use a black cardboard with a hole in the middle to put my lens through. That way, I avoid my reflection on the glass.

Good luck,
Photophil

http://www.wildeyes.be

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

snowtrekker Wed 26-Dec-01 09:44 PM

#4. "RE: Zoo Shooting"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks Yall,

I am learning. I got back some images from this weekend. I made a lot of mistakes but I got some real keepers too. I wish I knew how to post them with this message like Phil does but I guess I'll just have to wait till they come up on Photo Alley then I'll link to them so you can see what I got on my first try.

Tom

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 26-Dec-01 03:08 PM
34636 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Zoo Shooting"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-01 AT 05:16 PM (GMT)

>Hi, I'm looking for tips about shooting at the Zoo, like
>shooting through Zoo Glass. Is it worth it?

Yes, it is. I've seen people use a rubber lenshood to place the lens right on the glass for shooting at aquariums, even with flash, with good results.

>How close should you be?
As I mentioned above, the closer the better.
>How do you get rid of reflections
>without loosing light with a polarizer?

There is just no way to do it. Faster film is the 1st answer. (Faster lenses the 2nd).

>Flash tricks, to avoid bounceback?
The trick of the lens-on-the-glass does it, if it is allowed.

>Do you take some windex with you?
Sure. Unless caught by a suspicious guard, you'll be ok.

>Some of the glass is tinted green
>is there a way to correct for that color or
>will it even be noticable?

If shooting slides it will be there, if for prints, it's up to your printer. If up to you, there is always Photoshop.

>What about shooting into
>reptile cages, terrariums and aquariums,
>any special advice?

Reptile cages? Don't get too close!
If you want, I would make it a special session for them, with faster film as they are usually in darker spaces. ISO 800.

>What about wire cages. Do you just get close enough with
>a telephoto and shoot through it with a narrow depth
>of field?

Yeap!. Another option is to rent a DC lens (for defocus control).

>I've been using a tripod? Any advantages to
>usig a monopod?

The monopod is less obtrusive and faster to use, usually enough for sharp images provided you have fast enough film.

>Anybody out there who does a lot of this, I'd love
>to know what lenses you use, why?

I don't do it a lot, no zoos around here.

>What film you use and why?
I try to use the best film I can since it is not an everyday event for me. Agfa Optima Prestige II 400 is a good choice in color print film, Fuji Provia 400F in slide film. You need speed to have good apertures and/or fast shutter speeds.

> Has anybody out there used a Flash Extender, what brand?
Nope.
> Did you like it?
What? If you are talking about the flash extender, I have none.
If you are talking about the Zoo experience. Yes, I loved it, whish I had gone there with more and better lenses.

>I've been two days now and I think I'm going to
>learn a lot. There are a lot of problems to
>solve which is why I think it's such a great
>learning experience.
>Thanks in advance, by the way if there's a tip you
>know about Zoo shooting and I didn't ask the question
>please consider it asked, I'd like to know anything that
>you are willing to share.

Try to get there early for good lighting. Late afternoon is also good. Noon time is usually horrendous both in terms of light and crowds. Either easy eating elsewhere or -if it is safe- take a nap in your car, then come back.

Take your time, enjoy it.

Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #369 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.