nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #346
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best wildlife parks." Previous topic | Next topic
Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography   Gent, BE  Basic Member Wed 16-Jan-08 02:24 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best wildlife parks."

Hi,

The greatest challenge is to take pictures of animals in the wild. No greater thrill than standing eye to eye with a brown bear. But some pictures (close ups of puma, wolf, lynx, ...) are hard or impossible to achieve. Lots of spectacular wildlife pictures in magazines are taken under what we call "controlled situations". Meaning, the photography was done in an enclosure (zoo or wildlife farm). One famous hotspot in Europe is "The Bayerischer Wald" in Germany. A paradise to take pictures of wolves and lynx. Another hotspot is Jaegersborg near Kopenhagen (Denmark) famous for its red deer photography. Who wants to share his favourite places to take pictures of rare animals.

Cheers,
Photophil
http://www.wildeyes.be

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best wildlife parks. wpgf80
12th Feb 2002
Reply message RE: Best wildlife parks. gpshslax
21st Feb 2002
Reply message RE: Best wildlife parks. Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography
21st Feb 2002
     Reply message RE: Best wildlife parks. gpshslax
21st Feb 2002
Reply message RE: Best wildlife parks. amg
04th Mar 2002
Reply message RE: Best wildlife parks. jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
16th Jan 2008

wpgf80      Tue 12-Feb-02 09:27 PM

#1. "RE: Best wildlife parks."
In response to Reply # 0

Hello

If you ever get a chance to come to Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada here are a couple of must see "wildlife parks".

Fort Whyte Centre
Is actually right in the city. It is a fairly large complex 400 acres, for being in the city. It is primarily an "open range" facility. Year round it is home to dozens of migratory birds as well a year round residences. Each fall hit become home for several month to hundreds of thousands of geese, ducks, swans. Apart from a wide range of small animals. The local "wild" deer herd makes it a frequent home. The only "fenced" part is the bison(buffalo) compound. www.fortwhyte.org

Oak Hammock Marsh
Located just outside of the city. This is 36 sq. km. maze of marshes, wetlands and grasses. Again like Fort Whyte, it is a year round home to dozens of migratory birds as well a year round residences. Each fall hit become home for several month to hundreds of thousands of geese, ducks, swans.
www.ducks.ca/ohmic

These are both excellent pic's if you are in the area. And it you do get here, please get hold of me.

gpshslax   Grosse Pointe Park, US  Registered since 14th Feb 2002 Thu 21-Feb-02 06:29 AM
409 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Best wildlife parks."
In response to Reply # 0

I would have to say two of the best are the San Diego Wild animal park, and The Wilds in ohio. I'm speaking more from a zoological perspective, as I've never been to either, and can't really vouch for ability to photograph there. Both of these are vary large, and give the animals a fairly natural, yet controled enviroment, ideal for get the shot without the danger. The Wilds in ohio is probably going to be harder to get into, as it is a research primarly institution, but it's the largest AZA (american zoological assosian) accredited institute, and claims it's open to the pubilic for viewing. If I had my choice I'd visit these places.

Gpshslax

Check out my website, it's a work in progress.
MAHW Photography

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography   Gent, BE  Basic Member Thu 21-Feb-02 09:47 AM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best wildlife parks."
In response to Reply # 2

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. The two parks you mention, do they have American animals or also African, Asian, ... animals? I ask, because the most interesting parks are those which have native animals. Nothing is worse than having to take pictures of African animals with pine trees in the background.

Cheers,
Photophil
http://www.wildeyes.be

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

gpshslax   Grosse Pointe Park, US  Registered since 14th Feb 2002 Thu 21-Feb-02 02:49 PM
409 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Best wildlife parks."
In response to Reply # 3

Both parks have all types of animals, so you would end up with the african animals against north american flora at the wilds in ohio. However, and again i'm not speaking from experiance, the san diego wild animal party recreated the native landscape it a high degree. I understand that they spend obscene amount of money importing african tree and grasses to make the experiance authentic, and then the animals eat them again. So if you go to san diego I think you could get a experiance with exotic wildlife in an exotic enviroment, close to home.

Gpshslax

Check out my website, it's a work in progress.
MAHW Photography

amg   Dunedin, NZ  Basic Member Mon 04-Mar-02 12:59 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Best wildlife parks."
In response to Reply # 0

Not a park as such, but if you are into photographing whales, then Kaikoura in New Zealand is a great place to get nice shots of sperm whales fluking. They are only about 4km out from land (if that). The only problem is that you have to go on a whale watch cruise to see them, although these last 3hours, and only cost NZ$100 (which is nothing in US dollars!!). You are guaranteed of seeing at least one whale (if you are unlucky you get $80 back). Best times are probably early morning, or late afternoon. Winter is also nice as the coastal mountains are covered in snow giving a great background. The boats usually sit around 50-100m away, so a 300mm lets you fill the frame nicely.
Cheers
AMG

Cheers
Andrew

A Kiwi Nikonian

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Wed 16-Jan-08 02:24 PM
35694 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best wildlife parks."
In response to Reply # 0

On our last safari to Africa, as hunters, my wife took a very impressive shot of a lion with a rented 400mm lens on my F4s.
She claims the chill on the spine is still there. I believe her. Although I was well in front of her with my Holland and Holland and our guide had the lion covered too -just in case I missed my shot- the "thrill" was just too much for her.
She is very happy to find herself in "controlled situations" now.
Below of of such shots at the Houston zoo. Nikon F5, 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, Fuji Portrait NPZ 800 Pro.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #346 Previous topic | Next topic