Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #340
View in linear mode

Subject: "Grand Canyon" Previous topic | Next topic
lhogsta Registered since 09th Mar 2002Sat 09-Mar-02 10:17 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Grand Canyon"

Los Angeles, US

Hi,
Going to Grand Canyon i mid April. I would love to hear about which film to use, filters lenses etc.

Greetings from Marina del Rey,
Lars

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Grand Canyon
jrp Administrator
09th Mar 2002
lhogsta
10th Mar 2002
Paco
09th Mar 2002
lhogsta
10th Mar 2002
jrp Administrator
10th Mar 2002

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 09-Mar-02 10:24 PM
33940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Grand Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Knowing something about your body and lenses could help to suggest film speed, would you mind updating your profile to that effect?

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

lhogsta Registered since 09th Mar 2002Sun 10-Mar-02 01:55 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Grand Canyon"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

Hi,
I have a 24mm, 2:8 and a 80-200mm, 2:8 ED Nikons. Furthermore a SB24. My other stuff was stolen recenly and will be replaced with a Nikon 100.
I really appreciate any help,

Lars

Paco Basic MemberSat 09-Mar-02 11:02 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Grand Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston, US

Lars,

The Grand Canyon of the US is an enormous and complex system. You may chose from bright desert plateaus; broad, often hazy vistas; deep, dark and verdant side canyons with waterfalls; lizards, insects and wildflowers; mountain goats; rafters negotiating rapids; and perhaps lots of hikers and pack mules on the trails. Take your pick.

I do not know in what activities you'll be engaged, nor what are your specific interests in visiting the Canyon. I would suggest you keep your gear light in weight, especially if you are you are trekking into the canyon part way or all way down to the River.

Neither do I know what you've got available in your camera bag so I cannot make more specific recommendations.

Suffice to say the Canyon will present many photo opportunities, from tele to micro.

Have fun,

Paco

Paco
A Charter Nikonian in Houston, Texas USA

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

lhogsta Registered since 09th Mar 2002Sun 10-Mar-02 01:50 AM
#3. "RE: Grand Canyon"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

thanks for your speedy reply. I have a 24mm, 2.8 Nikon lens and a 80-200mm, 2.8 ED.

My other lens was stolen recently together with my Nikon 8008. I am going to buy a Nikon 100 before the trip. I am not going a any long trecks as I will be ther with my 10 year old and his scounting buddies.

I would like to but another lens too but I am not sure if am going to buy a zoom or not. I am thinking of the 50, 1.8 which might bre a boing but great lens.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 10-Mar-02 07:23 AM
33940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Grand Canyon"
In response to Reply # 3

San Pedro Garza García, MX

You will love the F100 for its feel, meter and focusing speed.
Your lenses should do just fine. The nature of the trip talks about group photographs and plenty of portraits. If for prints to give those photographs away as mementos, I would carry:
Fuji Superia Reala 100 for when under bright light or Konica Centuria 200 just to have the next faster shutter speeds.
Kodak Royal Gold 400 or Supra Pro 400 or Agfa Optima Prestige 400, for action photos (those guys are not likely to be still), plus, just in case of overcast skies or under dim available ambient light Fuji Portrait NPZ 800 Pro. This should allow you to extend the poissibilities of the 50mm f/1.8 you are going to buy.
If you want slides for another reason:
Fuji Provia 100F and 400F; I don't think you will have a moment of rest to patiently position your tripod for a long exposure with something like Velvia 50 (slides) or Konica Impresa 50 (prints).
Wish I could go too. Enjoy!

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #340 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.