Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #332
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photo Safari at Wild Animal Park - Newbie" Previous topic | Next topic
craigdahlberg Basic MemberTue 19-Mar-02 04:32 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photo Safari at Wild Animal Park - Newbie"

I will be new to the film world (I ordered an N80, 28-105 zoom, SB28DX) when I recieve my new equipment by Friday March 22. I have about a years experience with a digital CP990. I am going to a Photo Safari at the San Diego Wild Animal Park on Sunday, March 24. We get driven around the park and very close to the animals. I have 2 questions and will accept any tips. What film should I use? (I would like to blow up an 8 x 10 if I get a good one). Should I bring my external flash?

They also have a butterfly exhibit going on. It would be nice to capture some closeups. Any tips here woud be appreciated also.

I am enjoying the discussions on this forum and hope to be able to contribute in the future.

Thanks,

Craig

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photo Safari at Wild Animal Park - Newbie
DaveDosch
19th Mar 2002
ChuckDiggins
19th Mar 2002
ozgooner
19th Mar 2002
jrp Administrator
16th Jan 2008
mike_1
20th Mar 2002
DaveDosch
20th Mar 2002
craigdahlberg
20th Mar 2002

DaveDosch Basic MemberTue 19-Mar-02 07:13 PM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photo Safari at Wild Animal Park - Newbie"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

I would recommend Fuji Reala 100 for the safari. Plan on bringing lots of film, like 20 rolls or more. You will hate yourself if you run out. You can mail order them for pretty cheap and get delivery in time if your order them next day delivery. If not, Nelson Photo on India St. in San diego carries a good selection of film. I would bring a nice 400/800 speed film for the butterfly exhibit.

DaveDosch
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles.

DaveDosch

ChuckDiggins Basic MemberTue 19-Mar-02 09:36 PM
457 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photo Safari at Wild Animal Park - Newbie"
In response to Reply # 1

Boulder, US

If you want one film to do both butterflies and lions, I would recommend Provia 400F. This is slide film, somewhat expensive, and has excellent sharpness and color.

Read some reviews on this "miracle" film.
Here's one I found just now: http://www.vividlight.com/articles/612.htm

It can be pushed as fast as 4800! Apparently, it can be pushed to 800 with no significant drop in sharpness.

My only hesitation on recommending this is that your being new to film, slide film is less forgiving than print.

How comfortable are you using manual mode? The photo safari will take you among the animals, sometimes front lit, other times backlit. These conditions will fool automatic exposures.

Also, use a tripod ... or at least a monopod.

I'm not sure about flash.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ozgooner Basic MemberTue 19-Mar-02 09:54 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photo Safari at Wild Animal Park - Newbie"
In response to Reply # 2

Canberra, AU

If you'd rather go print, I'd suggest Fuji Press 800. It has wonderful colour, minimal grain and will perform well no matter what the weather/light does. A little more forgiving too as suggested above.

A cheaper alternatvie to Provia 400 is Sensia 400 which I've used a lot of recently and been very happy with. While I've never tried, most reviews suggest it doesn't hold up to being pushed though.

Take twice as much film as you think you'll need.

Hope this helps.

Trev M - Nikonian Down Under

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM
34762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Photo Safari at Wild Animal Park - Newbie"
In response to Reply # 3

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Allow me to add to the confusion: the very best high speed color negative film for prints is, today, Fujicolor Portrait NPZ 800 Pro.
Best grain, best sharpness, vivid yet natural colors. You will be thankful for having the extra speed. My film review for the year is almost ready and I have concluded the above. Below a sample recent shot at the Houston zoo with a 80-400mm VR and 1.4X TC Kenko Pro Series 300.
On another note, even on a guided tour, shooting from a vehicle, a longer lens will be more appreciated than your otherwise splendid 28-105. Maybe you can rent one 300mm over there.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

mike_1 Basic MemberWed 20-Mar-02 02:01 AM
642 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photo Safari at Wild Animal Park - Newbie"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I remember reading somewhere about this photo safari and one thing the author covered that has not been mentioned is to bring along your cleaning supplies. He said that dust was a big problem. Good luck and check into that long lens rental.
Mike

Nikonian from Southwest Missouri
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.

DaveDosch Basic MemberWed 20-Mar-02 04:22 AM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photo Safari at Wild Animal Park - Newbie"
In response to Reply # 4

San Diego, US

I would recommend against using high speed fim during the safari. You will be outdoors in the bright sunshine, looking to lower your aperture to isolate your subjects. Plus if you are planning to blow your photos up, why go with a grainier film? The butterfly exhibit will be the reverse, where you are going to want a faster film to push your shutter speed faster. I stand by my earlier recommendation. Bring 20 rolls of Reala 100 and 3 of an faster like NPZ 800.

DaveDosch

DaveDosch

craigdahlberg Basic MemberWed 20-Mar-02 04:35 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photo Safari at Wild Animal Park - Newbie"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will choose the Reala 100 for the Safari. Unfortunately, the forecast weather is cloudy with possible rain. Should this effect my film decision? I will probably get some 400 or 800 for the butterflies. As for the longer lens, I think this being my first time with a new/film camera, I'll just have to take what I can get with th 28-105. I will probably bring my Coolpix 990 with the 2x tele which gives a reach of 210mm. The Coolpix is also good with macros but always has a slow trigger. I don't have a monopod but I will look for one before Sunday. If it doesn't rain I'll post my best picture from the adventure and let you all see the results. Again, thanks alot!

Craig

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #332 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.