Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #317
View in linear mode

Subject: "San Diego Wild Animal Park" Previous topic | Next topic
WoodyGreen Basic MemberTue 05-Mar-02 03:22 AM
128 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"San Diego Wild Animal Park"

We will be visiting the San Diego Wild Animal Park in early April, and I wondered if anyone has been there and can give tips for the best places in the park to shoot. We would be most interested in large mamals, especially of the African variety.

Also, can we expect to get any good shots from the tour train?

Thanks!

- WG

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: San Diego Wild Animal Park
gpshslax
14th Mar 2002
Jim Smith
16th Jan 2008
ChuckDiggins Gold Member
16th Jan 2008
ironhayden08
29th Mar 2002
DaveDosch
16th Jan 2008
Jim Smith
16th Jan 2008

gpshslax Registered since 14th Feb 2002Thu 14-Mar-02 06:04 AM
409 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: San Diego Wild Animal Park"
In response to Reply # 0

Grosse Pointe Park, US

Now I wish I got to go, I was in sandiego a week ago, but ran out of time before I got the the Wild animal park. I did get to go to the zoo, but the rewind button on my 4004 kicked out on my, and I missed 3 hours worth of shooting time, and by the time I got it working again we were almost done and my companions wanted to leave. I only got 2 rolls. Haven't gotten them back yet, I'll keep you guys posted.

Gpshslax

Check out my website, it's a work in progress.
MAHW Photography

Jim Smith Registered since 15th Mar 2002Wed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: San Diego Wild Animal Park"

US

You may want to consider going to the Zoo instead. I have taken dynamite shots at the zoo. I live in San Diego so I'm lucky I guess. Only a few of the animals are in "cages." There are zones that replicate the look and feel of the wild. I have taken some nice shots of the gorillas, as well as tigers. The avairy is always full of photographers and the avairy at the Zoo is much lighter and brighter than at the wild animal park.

By the way, shot with my D1 (have to admit, heavily edited with PhotoShop)

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

ChuckDiggins Gold Member Charter MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM
457 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile

Boulder, US

I went to the SDWAP last January and thought it was fantastic! The train ride around the park is worth it. They stop regularly to let you take some shots. Next time I at least take a monopod. There a plenty of opportunities for excellent shots, especially with anything 300mm or greater. As Dave says, 400 ISO.

I'm going back the last week in March and will take the train again. They also have a "safari" truck that will drive you among the animals. You can reserve this. Go to their website or call them. Take a good tripod.

Here are two cheetah shots...not from the train. They were feeding at a log. I used my Nikkor 70-300 handheld but helped by a small tree.

Go! It's worth it.

Chuck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ironhayden08 Basic MemberFri 29-Mar-02 02:30 AM
447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: San Diego Wild Animal Park"
In response to Reply # 0

Green Bay, US

Go to both the Wild Animal Park and the Zoo. Expect to use 5-10 rolls of film and you'll have a great time!

Jon Hayden
Green Bay, Wis.
Home of the 12 time NFL Champions
http://www.jonhayden.com

DaveDosch Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile

San Diego, US

The Wild Animal Park is an amazing place. Bring your most powerful zoom telephoto for the open space tram ride. Bring a macro lens for the aviary and butterfly areas. Bring LOTS of film and I would recommend planning on at least 400 ISO, most sections are dark in heavy vegetation except the open spaces and there you will be on a moving tram with a telephoto. Expect to go through at least 8 rolls or more even if you don't get trigger happy.

DaveDosch
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles.

DaveDosch
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles.

Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Jim Smith Registered since 15th Mar 2002Wed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: San Diego Wild Animal Park"
In response to Reply # 0

US

A few additional shots that I recently took at the San Diego Zoo. Consider the Zoo, not only the Wild Animal Park.

Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #317 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.