Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #248
View in linear mode

Subject: "Some geese" Previous topic | Next topic
drjimbob Team Member Awarded In Memoriam for  sharing countless hours of his expertise no matter how simple or complex the question, and especially for his eternal good nature. Charter MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM
15520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Some geese"

Bowie, US

Hello -

I posted a couple of these in the "waterfowl" thread over in the "a picture I took" forum, but I thought I'd see if I could get some feedback from the experts over here.

Little public park pond, Bowie, MD around sunset
F100, Quantaray 70-300mm f4-5.6 @300mm with a Quantaray 2X extender, no filter
All pictures either 1/125 or 1/250 and f/5.6
Fujicolor Superia 400

#1 - I wanted to pretty much fill the frame, but would this have been better if I'd had a complete reflection of the goose in the water? I don't know if I could have composed any differently anyway, as I was using manual focus and following the goose with my tripod mount as it slowly swam toward shore.

#2 - Do any of you photographer/natuarlists know what's wrong with this goose? For the 30 minutes or so I was at the pond, this goose's tongue was hanging out. I'm assuming the goose had injured his (her?) tongue somehow. Is that a good guess, or is this normal goose behavior?

A note about the scan - on the original print, you can nicely see the water droplets on the goose's breast. The scan lost quite a bit of the sharpness of the original.

Happy Shooting!! Bob T

A BAD DAY BEHIND A NIKON BEATS A GOOD DAY BEHIND A DESK - Bob Tomerlin
My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Some geese
Photophil
16th Jan 2008
drjimbob Team Member
18th Mar 2002
claibrook
19th Mar 2002
drjimbob Team Member
20th Mar 2002
SheldonYoung
20th Mar 2002
bsdunek
21st Mar 2002
Photophil
21st Mar 2002
drjimbob Team Member
25th Mar 2002
Jim Smith
16th Jan 2008
drjimbob Team Member
30th Mar 2002
WV photo
16th Jan 2008
drjimbob Team Member
21st Apr 2002
WV photo
21st Apr 2002
wpgf80
16th Jan 2008
Photophil
19th Apr 2002

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 0

Gent, BE

Hi Bob,
Not bad, but as I notice in many pictures of waterfowl, the viewpoint is very often too high. Try to photograph at eye level (if possible), to get a much more "natural "look.
About the tongue hanging out: they often do that in very hot weather to cool off.

Dunlin, sheltering against stormy weather.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

drjimbob Team Member Awarded In Memoriam for  sharing countless hours of his expertise no matter how simple or complex the question, and especially for his eternal good nature. Charter MemberMon 18-Mar-02 01:18 AM
15520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 12

Bowie, US

Of course - thanks for the hint on level of shooting. There's been "something" about your pictures that I really like, and I think the level of view is (one of) the ingredients. I hadn't realized before what was catching my eye, but the level of view is definitely one aspect. Field of view was was particularly evident (and effective) in your shot of mushrooms a few weeks ago.

I'll try again this weekend - finally after months of drought, we're having 4 to 5 days of slow, steady rain - Belgian weather!!

Happy Shooting!! Bob T

My Nikonians Gallery

claibrook Basic MemberTue 19-Mar-02 11:16 PM
2400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Bob, Phil is right that some birds will pant when overheated. Was the goose doing anything else like hissing, bobbing or swaying his head? If so, it could have been a display of aggression for whatever reason. Good luck photographing the geese!

drjimbob Team Member Awarded In Memoriam for  sharing countless hours of his expertise no matter how simple or complex the question, and especially for his eternal good nature. Charter MemberWed 20-Mar-02 02:10 AM
#3. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 2

Bowie, US

The temperature that day wasn't too bad - maybe about 60F (16C - I think). The goose was just swimming around with the other geese and ducks, competing for bread crumbs the kids on shore were tossing. In fact, there was a different goose that was behaving aggressively, going after other gooses' (geeses?) rear ends and swimming rapidly with his neck extended and his head skimming the water. But this goose with the tongue just cruised around calmly.

Thanks for your insights.

Happy Shooting!! Bob T

My Nikonians Gallery

SheldonYoung Basic MemberWed 20-Mar-02 08:40 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

I believe the neck-out chasing is a mating behaviour. See

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/branta/b._canadensis.html

Sheldon Young

bsdunek Basic MemberThu 21-Mar-02 07:04 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 3

Howell, US

Am I not seeing right? It looks like the lower part of the beak is missing, leaving the tongue hanging. I know I have come across some animals from time to time that have had severe damage and still seem to survive OK. Maybe this is like that.
Bruce

Bruce

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberThu 21-Mar-02 08:13 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 5

Gent, BE

I didn't dare to say it, but at first sight, that was excactly what I also thought. I have seen geese with the lower part missing and indeed they survive.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

drjimbob Team Member Awarded In Memoriam for  sharing countless hours of his expertise no matter how simple or complex the question, and especially for his eternal good nature. Charter MemberMon 25-Mar-02 12:43 PM
#7. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 5

Bowie, US

Bruce & Philippe -

I think you're correct. I showed the photo to a guy at work who is an ecotoxicologist. He works mainly with aquatic creatures, but this is what he had to say.

It sure looks like the goose is missing lower bill. I've seen other pictures of birds with deformed bills, but don't know of any liertature about how they might do survival-wise out in the wild. Ordinarily I wouldn't think a bird could survive very long without a lower bill, but maybe because it lives in a place where people provide a lot of food, like corn, popcorn, etc it can get all the food it needs. It may also have no problem ingesting floating aquatic plants, but I think it would have a hard time with other types of food, like submerged vegetation or shellfish.

So, perhaps the mystery is solved. It was certainly an odd sight to see this goose cruising around with its tongue hanging out the whole time I was there. I wonder if other geese a tempted to peck at it.

Happy Shooting!! Bob T

My Nikonians Gallery

Jim Smith Registered since 15th Mar 2002Wed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: Some geese"

US

I agree that getting down to the level of the fowl is important. Also, try saturation or changing color level and "levels" in the shot. Cropping tighter may help. I've attached a couple of shots. Two are the identical shot but manipulated differently to give a differnt feel.

Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

drjimbob Team Member Awarded In Memoriam for  sharing countless hours of his expertise no matter how simple or complex the question, and especially for his eternal good nature. Charter MemberSat 30-Mar-02 07:29 PM
#8. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 0

Bowie, US

Are these decoys?? I don't know if the world will keep spinning on its axis if PS manipulations of decoys showed up in the wildlife forum (tougue-in-cheek).

Happy Shooting!! Bob T

My Nikonians Gallery

WV photo Registered since 23rd Feb 2002Wed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: Some geese"

Ghent, BE

Hi Bob,

Last autumn, I saw these geese sitting in a field among the road. I waited half an hour till the light was soft and took this picture.

F100 + 300mm f2.8 + Tc 301 conv
Fujichrome Sensia 100
F5.6 @ 1/125 sec

Wim

http://www.naturephoto.yucom.be

drjimbob Team Member Awarded In Memoriam for  sharing countless hours of his expertise no matter how simple or complex the question, and especially for his eternal good nature. Charter MemberSun 21-Apr-02 12:48 AM
#10. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 0

Bowie, US

Chris, Wim & Philippe -

I've been gone on business/holiday to Australia and just returned and didn't know this tread had any more posts.

Wim, I always enjoy the colors & mood in your photos (for example, your Taj Mahal sunrise). Chris, I also liked the composition of your shot.

Philippe - as usual, another little suggestion that could make a tremendous difference to a photo. I wouldn't have thought fill flash would be useful from so far away. Any thoughts about the maximum distance at which flast could be used to add sparkle? I assume it's related to the flash's GN.

Happy Shooting!! Bob T

My Nikonians Gallery

WV photo Registered since 23rd Feb 2002Sun 21-Apr-02 06:47 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 10

Ghent, BE

Hi Bob,

I hope you found some time during your trip to Australia to make some pictures. If so, I'm curious to see them.

Greetings,
Wim

wpgf80 Wed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM

#13. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 0

Last week the geese started to come back. But there is not open water or them yet. Everthing is still frozen. Some ponds like this one have about an inch of water laying onto of the ice. I thought it made a nice effect.

F80 80-200mm f2.8 about 125mm @ f8 Kodak 200

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberFri 19-Apr-02 07:09 AM
#9. "RE: Some geese"
In response to Reply # 13

Gent, BE

Hi Chris,
Very well done. Maybe a little flash (-2 stops) to add a little sparkle in the eyes to let it come out better against the black head.
I like the vertical composition very well.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #248 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.