Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #235
View in linear mode

Subject: "Incredible bird photography experience" Previous topic | Next topic
sjn Basic MemberSun 21-Apr-02 10:45 PM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Incredible bird photography experience"

Mtn View, US

I just had an awesome bird photography experience this morning. I was out at the Palo Alto Baylands (not the main part of the park) for what was initially going to be just a quick walk to check things out. I brought the F100 and the 80-400VR. At the end of the short trail and across an 8 foot wide water channel were two Snowy Egrets doing their courtship ritual. Over the course of 15 minutes I was able to approach to the waters edge about 20 feet from them.

Unfortunately, the lithium batteries decided to die after 4 shots. I quickly went back to the car for more batteries and 4 rolls of film. As I was walking back a birder with his scope spooked them away. A real disappointment since another male had showed up and both males were fighting over the female. As I got closer one of the males came back and a Blue Heron also. I went through the slow process of approaching again.

I eventually got back to the waters edge without spooking them. After about 10 minutes they were comfortable enough that I was able to sit on the ground. Over the course of the next 2 1/2 hours (only 1 1/2 hour with film!) I was visited by 3 different Blue Herons, 2 different Snowy Egrets, 3 different White Egrets, several American Avocets, the first Geese family with about 1 dozen chicks. All of this occurred less than 20 feet from me.

After awhile one of the Blue Herons and one of the Snowy Egrets were comfortable enough that they crossed the channel of water to my side to continue eating. Many times the Snowy Egret was closer than the minimum focus distance of my 80-400VR! He walked right in front of my feet - about 6 inches away several times! When I left an hour later they were confortable enough being 5 feet away that they weren't bothered by me standing up and slowly backing away. Since this is California and not Florida I was really surprised. The birds here have never been so tolerant.

I only wish I had more than 4 rolls of film with me. I guess the best part of all of it is that I really don't care if not a single photo is good - to be able to be that close for so long was just incredible!!! Throughout the area there were at least 6 Blue Herons, 12 White Egrets, 6 Snowy Egrets, tons of Canadian Geese, Avocet, ducks, Terns, Stilts, and a flock of White Pelicans.

What an awesome day!!!

Scott

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Incredible bird photography experience
claibrook
21st Apr 2002
Photophil
22nd Apr 2002
Philip
23rd Apr 2002
claibrook
23rd Apr 2002
Photophil
23rd Apr 2002
claibrook
23rd Apr 2002
Photophil
23rd Apr 2002
Photophil
16th Jan 2008
claibrook
23rd Apr 2002
sjn
24th Apr 2002
claibrook
24th Apr 2002
guyb
24th Apr 2002

claibrook Basic MemberSun 21-Apr-02 11:14 PM
2400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

>I only wish I had more than 4 rolls of film with me. I guess
>the best part of all of it is that I really don't care if
>not a single photo is good - to be able to be that close for
>so long was just incredible!!! Throughout the area there
>were at least 6 Blue Herons, 12 White Egrets, 6 Snowy
>Egrets, tons of Canadian Geese, Avocet, ducks, Terns,
>Stilts, and a flock of White Pelicans.

Scott, I can feel your excitement! Sometimes just watching and observing is thrilling enough. There have been times things like this have happened to me as well. Sometimes I don't even bother to photograph anything because I'm so wrapped up in the moment and want to take in and enjoy observing the fascinating behaviors of these wonderful animals. Sometimes a good photo is simply a bonus. In my case if I don't happen to get good photos I never look back and think of my experience as missed photo opportunites. No matter what kind of results you get from your photos the memory of the birds will forever be imprinted in your mind.

I loved your story. Thanks for sharing it!

Cassie
from Beautiful British Columbia

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberMon 22-Apr-02 08:36 AM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 0

Gent, BE

Hi Scott,

I'm really happy for you to have experienced that wonderful observation. That's one of the joys of nature photography. Most nature lovers walk around, very few take the time to sit in one place to observe for a long time. And that's the way to see magnificent behaviour at close range. Most people can't believe I often sit for days in a small hide, waiting for animals to come close enough to take their pictures. I see them thinking "What a terrible boring job". Well, it's never boring. There are so many things happening around me, most of the time out of camera range, but I don't care because those observations give me inspiration for future challenges. Wildlife photography is most of the time observing, only a small percentige is actually spent on taking pictures. I can't count the many days I sat in my hide without taking one single picture, but what a day I had. I once saw a fight between a badger and a roe deer but it was too dark to take pictures. I'll never forget that day, much better than whatching it on the National Geographic Channel.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

Philip Basic MemberTue 23-Apr-02 09:29 AM
1177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 0

BE

... I was visited by 3 different Blue Herons, 2 different Snowy Egrets, 3 different White Egrets, several American Avocets, the first Geese family with about 1 dozen chicks. All of this occurred less than 20 feet from me ...

... the Snowy Egret was closer than the minimum focus distance of my 80-400VR! He walked right in front of my feet - about 6 inches away several times ...

Photophil is damn right when he writes "You Americans are really spoilt"!

I hope your pictures turn out to be great!

Regards,
Philip

My website
My galleries

claibrook Basic MemberTue 23-Apr-02 01:59 PM
2400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

Okay, maybe it's not the norm.... but check out this amazing photo of birds at fairly close range at a reserve in Belgium.

http://www.naturephotographers.net/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=004822

By the way, I'll admit to being somewhat spoiled here in SW British Columbia as well.

Cassie

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberTue 23-Apr-02 02:21 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 4

Gent, BE

The Zwin is half an hour from where I live. The Zwin consists of two parts: one is a nature reserve, the other part is a more like a "zoo" where you have birds in large cages and birds in semi-freedom like ducks, geese and storks which are fed daily as a tourist attraction. I wouldn't call it "wildlife". Nevertheless it's a great picture.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

claibrook Basic MemberTue 23-Apr-02 02:27 PM
#6. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 5

CA

Gosh, I'd of never guessed that looking at the picture. Looks can be deceiving!

Cassie

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberTue 23-Apr-02 02:52 PM
#7. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 6

Gent, BE

In fact, that picture was probably taken of a nest, sitting on top of the chimney of the park's restaurant.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:24 PM
#12. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 7

Gent, BE

These are some pictures I took last spring in Spain, where storks are very common. You see their nests on almost every church.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

claibrook Basic MemberTue 23-Apr-02 08:17 PM
#8. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 12

CA

Hi Philippe! Looks like three nests in the bottom picture! Nice scenery. That's a neat photo. I never knew they were so common there. After you told me about the reserve it made me think the other photo is not so wild after all. Well, I sometimes go to a sanctuary here that has many truly wild birds that are not approachable, however many are very approachable and that makes for some easy bird shots, especially waterfowl.

Scott, did you get your photos back yet? If so, how'd they come out? I just came back from several hours by the riverside again trying to photograph the woodpeckers. (Philippe, I even used my tripod!) After three hours I only got two pictures of the female. I stayed awhile longer until the sun was so high it was making it not so great to photograph anymore. I did enjoy myself nonetheless and saw lots of little birds. I think I might go out again this evening. The more unsuccessful I am at getting shots of this bird the more I want to try. I'm getting a little obsessive about it!

Cassie

sjn Basic MemberWed 24-Apr-02 05:49 AM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 8

Mtn View, US

>Scott, did you get your photos back yet? If so, how'd they
>come out?

Yes I picked them up last night on the way home from work. In general they all came out pretty well (given that I was shooting white birds from noon until 2:30!). A few turned out really great. I was using +0.3 and +0.7 exposure comp on the egrets to try not to have the white burn out in the bright sun. I think next time I'll try +1.0 and +0.7 instead. It may be awhile before I can get the slides scanned in though (major construction at the house now and get to move out for two weeks sometime soon - yuck), my office is all packed up.

Scott

claibrook Basic MemberWed 24-Apr-02 12:08 PM
#11. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 10

CA

Hi Scott! I'm glad to hear you got some good ones! I can't wait to see them. Good luck with the construction.

Cassie

guyb Registered since 11th Apr 2002Wed 24-Apr-02 02:25 AM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Incredible bird photography experience"
In response to Reply # 0

Orleans, US

Thanks for the enthusiasm. Maybe I will finally get around to doing my area justice. I live on a lake that has a handful of blue heron, swans, geese, etc. I always think I will shoot them, but wind up shooting something else.

l8r,
Guy

l8r,
Guy

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #235 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.